Peter King on Florence's release

I think if you want to know why the Bills whacked credible veteran cornerback Drayton Florence, look no further than the 103.3 passer rating he allowed foes last year in coverage (per ProFootballFocus.com). GM Buddy Nix is too smart to give away cornerbacks who can still cover, and with 2011 second-round pick Aaron Williams and this year's first-rounder, Stephon Gilmore, in house, Nix can afford to jettison an aging, slumping player.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/05/06/mmqb/index.html#ixzz1uDQhAe5U

That stat is as bad as I thought Florence was at times last year.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Don't sugar-coat it PK, tell us what you really think..

I don't challenge the stats he researched, it just surprises me that he'd 'go there' with this about a player. PK's pretty soft on players typically, unless they're obvious idiots.

Anyway, Florence was a starter last year and isn't even on the team now. Another sign we're getting batter!

I thought I read the other day that the same source that had passers at a 103 rating vs. Florence, had Aaron Williams actually worse statistically.

Sure - but Aaron Williams was a rookie with (like all other rookies last year) no proper off-season. Worse still, Williams was injured, so I wouldn't judge him too harshly yet.

Florence at this stage doesn't have much upside left.

I was happy to have him - and I wish him the best, but there wasn't much chance he'd stick on the team, so the nicest thing to do for him as well is to let him go now and see who else needs him.

Williams, Gilmore, Rodgers, and the two Irishmen are already plenty. I also happen to think Brooks is going to be among the very biggest steals of the draft across the whole league.

I though Florence had a down year last year but I thought he played well the year before- whether this was an age related decline or just an off year is really hard to say but there isn't much doubt that the Bills want Gilmore to start at the outside CB spot and keeping a high priced backup doesn't make much sense.

Looks like Peter King does his research on Two Bills Drive.

Like I said in the 17 page Florence thread (once this gets merged, 18).

How many of those passes were completed after the QB had 5 seconds to sit back in the pocket?

The stat assumes somewhat of a normal pass rush across all CB. If you take out the Redskins game the Bills had little to no pass rush all season.

How many of those passes were completed after the QB had 5 seconds to sit back in the pocket?

The stat assumes somewhat of a normal pass rush across all CB. If you take out the Redskins game the Bills had little to no pass rush all season.

No, it looks like Peter King does his research at ProFootballFocus. Which is just as bad.

GO BILLS!!!

While that may be true, if you look at the two lists on that site with the top ten and the bottom ten of passer ratings versus CBs, the very best known around the league are surprising around the top, and the bottom ten has, remarkably, a bunch of thought to be crappy CBs (Florence notwithstanding, although I have always thought and said that Florence stinks). Hmmmm...

No, it looks like Peter King does his research at ProFootballFocus. Which is just as bad.

What have you got against ProFootballFocus and their stats, outside of a very legitimate gripe about OTHER FANS who may use those stats to show why player A or player B is unequivocally good or bad based on those stats.

The stats, to me, are very cool, stuff you never see, a different way of looking at players and stats IN CONTEXT and not to be the major barometer, and they always say stuff in their articles about take these for what they are worth, stats are not everything, including in that very article which states flat out right next to the passer rating against stats --

"Numbers without context can be an awful thing and you can read a lot into what these say, but know that they’re by no means definitive on their own or combined. We always prefer our grading in situations like this where context can be taken into account … a dropped pass when a cornerback was beaten, just what exactly the cornerback did to force an incompletion, and so on.

But numbers are fun, and while we wait for the divisional round of the playoffs (and before Tebow kills the internet), it doesn’t hurt to have a look and make something out of them."

What have you got against ProFootballFocus and their stats, outside of a very legitimate gripe about OTHER FANS who may use those stats to show why player A or player B is unequivocally good or bad based on those stats.

The stats, to me, are very cool, stuff you never see, a different way of looking at players and stats IN CONTEXT and not to be the major barometer, and they always say stuff in their articles about take these for what they are worth, stats are not everything, including in that very article which states flat out right next to the passer rating against stats --

"Numbers without context can be an awful thing and you can read a lot into what these say, but know that they’re by no means definitive on their own or combined. We always prefer our grading in situations like this where context can be taken into account … a dropped pass when a cornerback was beaten, just what exactly the cornerback did to force an incompletion, and so on.

But numbers are fun, and while we wait for the divisional round of the playoffs (and before Tebow kills the internet), it doesn’t hurt to have a look and make something out of them."

I don't have any problem with fans soaking up all the ProFootballFocus stats.

I have a problem with a supposed leading journalist in his field doing so.

I'm glad PFF mentions stats without context because that's exactly why NFL teams don't put any stock into what they have to say.

I would think Peter King can do better, that's all.

GO BILLS!!!

I liked Drayton. He was a good Bill and made some exciting plays. But unfortunately, it was time to upgrade the position.

So when do you think the ax will fall on Mcgee ?? I think if he winds up getting hurt in OTA's or training camp he's a goner !!!!