Peter King on Florence's release

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure - but Aaron Williams was a rookie with (like all other rookies last year) no proper off-season. Worse still, Williams was injured, so I wouldn't judge him too harshly yet.

Florence at this stage doesn't have much upside left.

I was happy to have him - and I wish him the best, but there wasn't much chance he'd stick on the team, so the nicest thing to do for him as well is to let him go now and see who else needs him.

Williams, Gilmore, Rodgers, and the two Irishmen are already plenty. I also happen to think Brooks is going to be among the very biggest steals of the draft across the whole league.

It was also a,financial move.

What have you got against ProFootballFocus and their stats, outside of a very legitimate gripe about OTHER FANS who may use those stats to show why player A or player B is unequivocally good or bad based on those stats.

Well, to be honest KtD, I'm not a fan due to the fact they use network feeds to base their judgements and have posted as much on several occasions:

"We use TV broadcasts for both the analysis and the player participation data. We’ve been asked a lot how therefore is it possible to determine who was on the field in every position through TV pictures. Surely that just isn’t possible? Well, just because something is not easy doesn’t mean it is impossible. Firstly, the high definition picture from which we work is excellent, and that gives us the best starting point outside of coaches’ film, which isn’t attainable outside of NFL offices."

Those feeds are highly variable, based on the number of cameras at a particular game, and of course, focus most of their attention on the ball (as opposed to coaches video which looks at the entire field--the stuff Jaws uses so effectively to break down plays).

The PFF guys can say nothing's "impossible" all they want, but it just is--based on the GIGO of television feeds that can't capture what's happening at all points on a play. I take their suff with a big grain of salt...

Edited by Lurker

Sure - but Aaron Williams was a rookie with (like all other rookies last year) no proper off-season. Worse still, Williams was injured, so I wouldn't judge him too harshly yet.

Florence at this stage doesn't have much upside left.

I was happy to have him - and I wish him the best, but there wasn't much chance he'd stick on the team, so the nicest thing to do for him as well is to let him go now and see who else needs him.

Williams, Gilmore, Rodgers, and the two Irishmen are already plenty. I also happen to think Brooks is going to be among the very biggest steals of the draft across the whole league.

+1

That stat is as bad as I thought Florence was at times last year.

Statistics can be manipulated, and having almost zero pass rush didn't help matters. Their CB's were hung out to dry more often than not last season and I don't think Florence was as bad as homers are now making him out to be because Nix axed the guy. Speaking of Nix, why would he give a 3 year 15M extension to Florence at 31 only to cut him 9 months later? And Mike Lombardi on the Howard Simon Show mentioned that Williams may be best suited to an inside/nickel CB position as opposed to playing an opponents top receivers.

I'm not saying Florence was All-Pro, but aside from McGee, they've got 4 CB's with 1 year or less service time in the NFL not named McKelvin. I guess they figure the pass rush will off-set this youth, but it's another risk they're taking especially with Brady in the division.

Statistics can be manipulated, and having almost zero pass rush didn't help matters. Their CB's were hung out to dry more often than not last season and I don't think Florence was as bad as homers are now making him out to be because Nix axed the guy. Speaking of Nix, why would he give a 3 year 15M extension to Florence at 31 only to cut him 9 months later? And Mike Lombardi on the Howard Simon Show mentioned that Williams may be best suited to an inside/nickel CB position as opposed to playing an opponents top receivers.

I'm not saying Florence was All-Pro, but aside from McGee, they've got 4 CB's with 1 year or less service time in the NFL not named McKelvin. I guess they figure the pass rush will off-set this youth, but it's another risk they're taking especially with Brady in the division.

I have always thought of any position on the field CB is usually on of the easier to transition to into the pro's. Not saying it is easy by any means. But with a proper offseason this year, i think Gilmore will be a very solid starter. He will make 'rookie' mistakes, but at CB they are usually mental errors. Lineman have to get use to the speed and strength of playing in the trenches in the NFL. Not to mention the length of the schedule.

Florence seems better suited for a team that likes to play zone coverages, he never struck me as a man to man guy.

If i recall it is how he ended up in Buffalo after Jax. He was not suited for the scheme the Jags tried to put him in. or atleast thats what we were told when the Bills signed him

I have always thought of any position on the field CB is usually on of the easier to transition to into the pro's. Not saying it is easy by any means. But with a proper offseason this year, i think Gilmore will be a very solid starter. He will make 'rookie' mistakes, but at CB they are usually mental errors. Lineman have to get use to the speed and strength of playing in the trenches in the NFL. Not to mention the length of the schedule.

Florence seems better suited for a team that likes to play zone coverages, he never struck me as a man to man guy.

If i recall it is how he ended up in Buffalo after Jax. He was not suited for the scheme the Jags tried to put him in. or atleast thats what we were told when the Bills signed him

I have to disagree with that. Behind Ol and Qb I think learning to play corner in the NFL is one of the hardest positions for a rookie to step in and start right away. If you looked at Williams last year, he didn't start coming around til late in the year. Up until his c

injury, it looked like he was playing tag and he was it. He did an awfl lot of chasing instead of covering. I just hope having that young of a secondry doesn't come back to haunt us, especially in a playoff race.

Edited by westside

I have to disagree with that. Behind Ol and Qb I think learning to play corner in the NFL is one of the hardest positions for a rookie to step in and start right away. If you looked at Williams last year, he didn't start coming around til late in the year. Up until his c

injury, it looked like he was playing tag and he was it. He did an awfl lot of chasing instead of covering. I just hope having that young of a secondry doesn't come back to haunt us, especially in a playoff race.

Strictly on the basis of new material to be absorded from an NFL playbook, CB is by far the easiest position to learn.

GO BILLS!!!

Strictly on the basis of new material to be absorded from an NFL playbook, CB is by far the easiest position to learn.

GO BILLS!!!

Ken Whisenhunt disagrees. His top 5 pick at corner may have been electric in the return game, but he struggled mightily at his feature position. No one's asking Gilmore to be an All-Pro, but trusting your rookie/2nd year corners in a division with Brady to play good ball out the gate is a risk. Perhaps not a major one, but a risk nonetheless.

Perhaps Florence was totally shot, but if that were the case, wouldn't it take off-season workout to know that first? It's not like Buffalo's done much on the field yet to tell.

More likely, he (or his interns) lurk on TSW and other team MBs to pick up nuggets like that...

What do you know about Lurkers?

It seemed as if Florence played best in his contract years. After he got his contract extensions he struggled.

This is true.

He signed a big free agent contract with Jacksonville and was cut the following year so this is the second time he's been cut one year after signing a nice contract.

Ken Whisenhunt disagrees. His top 5 pick at corner may have been electric in the return game, but he struggled mightily at his feature position. No one's asking Gilmore to be an All-Pro, but trusting your rookie/2nd year corners in a division with Brady to play good ball out the gate is a risk. Perhaps not a major one, but a risk nonetheless.

Perhaps Florence was totally shot, but if that were the case, wouldn't it take off-season workout to know that first? It's not like Buffalo's done much on the field yet to tell.

Ken Whisenhunt may disagree all he wants, I'm just saying that strictly in terms of material to be learned from an NFL playbook, CB has the least amount to learn.

That's not to say it's an easy transition. It's easier for some than others but a transition none the less.

I'm not arguing that the Bills aren't short on experience in the defensive backfield, either. I fully expect them to bring in another vet presence.

GO BILLS!!!

... but trusting your rookie/2nd year corners in a division with Brady to play good ball out the gate is a risk. Perhaps not a major one, but a risk nonetheless.

Didn't Brady throw for ~ 800 yards in two games against those vet corners?

GO BILLS!!!

I was thinking more in the speed of the game compared to the college level. Every team has at least 2 or 3 number 1 recievers on college teams.

Didn't Brady throw for ~ 800 yards in two games against those vet corners?

LoL! great point inkman