Looking back on the infamous trades.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Buddy lost these trades. Lynch is a very good Rb and I would not be surprised if evans bounces back.

Lynch is good, but we had Jackson. Forget the Spiller pick as he is a completely different type of RB. They had to choose between all class Freddie, and Marshawn who wouldnt even meet with the coaches. They chose Freddie.

Evans may "bounce back", but 1. He isnt even with the team that traded for him, and 2. At 30+, that bounce back is less and less likely.

If we cut Ron Brooks in camp and dont get any production from him, then the Evans trade is about a draw.

Lynch is good, but we had Jackson. Forget the Spiller pick as he is a completely different type of RB. They had to choose between all class Freddie, and Marshawn who wouldnt even meet with the coaches. They chose Freddie.

Evans may "bounce back", but 1. He isnt even with the team that traded for him, and 2. At 30+, that bounce back is less and less likely.

If we cut Ron Brooks in camp and dont get any production from him, then the Evans trade is about a draw.

I see where your coming from dr. it may be to early to grade them out yet. Though I do like the three players we got in the trades. I really like Brooks and I think Carder will turn into a solid Lb. thats not even taking account of having a pretty good backup L in Hairston.

These weren't straight up trades, there were other circumstances involving both decisions. If Nix were simply trying to upgrade these would be looked at as very questionable, but Lee asked to be traded and did not want to play through another rebuild and Lynch wasn't content to play behind Freddie and his antics got old.

+1 and thank you. Nix is not playing fantasy football, there are other realities at play beside straight up ability on the field. Also please rememeber Chix did not draft Lynch or Evans and any time you have new management, there is going to be a certain amnount of out with the old so they can clear the decks and build the team they envision as opposed to keeping someone else's vision cobbled together. These trades may not have been genius on paper, but I'm SOOO glad Chix had the stones to start from scratch, make some mistakes early, learn from those mistakes, and work toward a concrete vision of the Buffalo Bills. Go Chixley!

Too early to tell but probably we'll get the better of the Evans trade while Seattle gets the better of the Lynch trade.

That said, Marshawn had to go so the Bills were disadvantaged.

Seattle on the other hand has to hope that Marshawn stays out of trouble.

Marshawn had 1400 yards from scrimmage, 1200 rushing and 13 TDs in 15 games last year and just signed a 4 year 31 mil contract. This just in, he's good. Hairston is pretty good but a back-up tackle at this point in his career. Carder is a 5th round back-up LB with a chance to start in a couple years. I understand the Marshawn trade but one can hardly say we made out well yet.

Not to mention that we unnecessarily picked a RB with the 9th overall pick that he could not start a game in his rookie season and only got to start because Freddie was injured. We could have used that pick to a pass rusher or tackle in that draft.

Not to mention that we unnecessarily picked a RB with the 9th overall pick that he could not start a game in his rookie season and only got to start because Freddie was injured. We could have used that pick to a pass rusher or tackle in that draft.

Really?

We have pass rushers now and a running back with a very bright future, not to mention the heir apparent to Freddy.

Chixley knew they were rebuilding the team and thus were trying to choose who they thought was the best player.

Did you watch Spiller play last year?

This is probably a little early since the players we got in return havent had much (or any) of a chance to prove it on the field, but on paper, Buddy made the following trade:

Lee Evans and Marshawn Lynch

for

Hairston, Ron Brooks, Tank Carder

What ya think?

I think I'm from Missouri and they have to show me

Unlike others though I never gnashed my teeth at the Lynch and Evans trades.

I see where your coming from dr. it may be to early to grade them out yet. Though I do like the three players we got in the trades. I really like Brooks and I think Carder will turn into a solid Lb. thats not even taking account of having a pretty good backup L in Hairston.

Yeah man, I guess I really meant to just note which players we got in those controversial trades, so we can keep an eye on them and watch how it plays out. Didnt mean that everyone had to come in and declare whether we had officially won or lost. My bad for not making that more clear in the OP, that's what I get for quickly writing a thread while at work. B-)

Trade or not, it'll be interesting to see what these kids do.

Carder is definitely a fan favorite, there was talk about drafting him since draft posts started. Hoping he can contribute big on STs, and be a solid backup to Sheppard.

Brooks is probably the most interesting pick of the draft. If he can develop from his LSU pedigree like he is supposed to, we'll have a ridiculous (and young) secondary.

Did you watch any Bills football last year?

Yes - he was a marginal backup for 10 games and played well in 3 games down the stretch when he was the starter. I believe he will continue to progress but what if he regresses back to his old form when he isn't the starter.

lets not forget that marshawn himself said his new found productivity was due to him finally growing up. i suspect it took him getting ushered unceremoniously out of town that made him wake up and transform from thugnificent to the real beastmode

This is probably a little early since the players we got in return havent had much (or any) of a chance to prove it on the field, but on paper, Buddy made the following trade:

Lee Evans and Marshawn Lynch

for

Hairston, Ron Brooks, Tank Carder

Considering Evans's lack of production for the Ravens (I know he was injured, but regardless of the excuse, he did not produce), and the fact that he is no longer even on the team, I'd say Buddy got the best of them on that one. If Brooks can contribute at all, we've made out on the deal.

Buddy was able to trade an aged, high-priced vet on the downswing of his career, and a malcontent who is one strike away from a major suspension... for 3 very promising prospects.

What ya think?

Tank makes it worth it all.

Yes - he was a marginal backup for 10 games and played well in 3 games down the stretch when he was the starter. I believe he will continue to progress but what if he regresses back to his old form when he isn't the starter.

You mean he didn't blow up the league while Freddy was leading the NFL in yards from scrimmage over the first 10 weeks? And it was 6 games, not 3, as the starter down the stretch. "Old form?" The guy was in his second year. You're just completely off base. Sorry.

I think Buddy lost these trades. Lynch is a very good Rb and I would not be surprised if evans bounces back.

I tend to agree. Look at what happened in the aftermath of those trades...using a number one pick on a running back and now a number two pick on a second wide receiver after a 6 win season. Not to mention the obvious that Lynch is a very good starting running back for Seattle. Evans? who knows whether he will bounce back from his injury or not.

I tend to agree. Look at what happened in the aftermath of those trades...using a number one pick on a running back and now a number two pick on a second wide receiver after a 6 win season. Not to mention the obvious that Lynch is a very good starting running back for Seattle. Evans? who knows whether he will bounce back from his injury or not.

First off, it was largely agreed that Spiller was the best talent on the board, and was chosen before Lynch was ever traded. So it wasnt the "aftermath". Spiller is a completely different type of back than Lynch.

It didnt come down to Spiller or Lynch. It was Jackson or Lynch. If you want to argue we should have kept Lynch, then you are also arguing we should have cut Jackson. Is that what you are saying?

Second, we used our THIRD round pick on a replacement WR who is young and fresh. Our 2nd went to OT. Evans, as a 31 year old, 8 year vet, speed guy is falling off quickly. We're lucky we got anything for him, as he isnt even with the team that traded for him anymore.

I don't know why people think we "lost" on the Lynch trade. The guy was so medicore for us.

In Seattle, he apparently figured out it is much more effective to run straight ahead rather than sideways. Good for him. Doesn't mean he would have figured it out if he had stayed in Buffalo, where he was given every opportunity to succeed.

Add to that the fact that Fred Jackson is a much better and more complete back than Lynch, and the Lynch trade at that time was a no-brainer.

When I think of the McGahee and Lynch trades I also think about addition by subtraction.

These were guys who didn't want to be here and a lot of people here didn't want them around. Management -- especially Buddy and Chan -- put a lot into what kind of locker room they want. (Look at all the "character" reports on this year's draftees.) I also believe attitudes in a locker room are infectious. I had no problem at all sending them out of town.

(I'm not talking about Evans here. He went because they didn't want/couldn't use him for this offense.)

But that's why it's hard to evaluate a trade purely by comparing performance on another team (I know Lynch had a good year and McGahee has had his moments) with what we got out of the draft picks.

Overall I think this is a better team now and next year with Fred + Spiller + Hairston than it would have been with Lynch + ?

1336411832[/url]' post='2460052']

That was about Evans, sorry if I wasnt clear. I agree with your Lynch assessment. I think Lynch has a lot left in his tank and was mis-used/under-performed during his time on the Bills. I wasn't real happy that we got rid of him, but it is working out with Freddie and CJ. Freddie and Lynch were too similar in style and it didnt make sense to keep both. Buddy kept the better back, imo (and again, I like Lynch).

Ah ok. My bad. Agreed with everything else. I think Hairston and Brooks are going to play big roles in turning this team around. Carders got a chance too. Great trades.