Junior Seau Dead @ 43

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing how we cry and worry and shake our heads in dismay when some pampered millionaire ex jock kills himself. Oh those poor babies. Wonder if the suicide rates for U.S. combat veterans would concern people as much.

It's always sad when people commit suicide man. Your pretty much always mentally ill if you actually get to that point and do it. Seau was sick, presumably b/c of head trauma....but we won't know for sure unless they do look at his brain and stuff. People care about the suicide of our veterans too btw.

" If it was a suicide, perhaps he was trying to preserve the brain for medical studies similar to Dave Duerson?"

What makes you think this?

the answer being most people shoot themselves in the head, not heart, and that was a widely discussed issue in football circles when DD made his decision. if seau was having issues he felt were related to playing - its possible it would be an explanation for why he would not shoot himself in the head

that's really not fair...if those deaths were publicized as much as 'celebrities' are, then I am sure you would see even more of an outpouring...this is convenient for us to 'mourn' over because the media hands it to us..

plus we as fans have an emotional attachment because we enjoy what they do and follow them closely...if a soldier in montana kills himself after he returns, i don't have that 'attachment' to him...sure i have my freedoms that he protects but its not as personal attachment as being a fan and seeing these people do something that we enjoy watching them do

Amazing how we cry and worry and shake our heads in dismay when some pampered millionaire ex jock kills himself. Oh those poor babies. Wonder if the suicide rates for U.S. combat veterans would concern people as much.

Edited by The Poojer

• In 1998, LB Doug Miller was struck by lightning while camping in Colorado. CPR was being performed on Miller when he was struck again by a second bolt.

That's like Daryl Talley getting run over by a charging buffalo. Twice. Because God wanted to be certain. All sorts of wrong.

It saddens me when anyone feels like the only way out is taking their own life, especially someone that got to that point through service to their country. I think the reason we all rally to this type of situation is that we all spent 15 or so years watching this guy play and admiring, cheering or booing him. We feel like we kind of know him.

Especially a guy who played in the modern league with safer helmets and rules. I can see it affecting old school players, but this seems like it would be more ego-driven.

They might have better helmets but the players are significantly larger and faster. The helmets are not going to eliminate any of these problems. And he definitely didn't have one close to what they have today his career started a while ago.

Why the NFL doesn't move to softer padding on the outside of helmets is beyond me. Its all about shock absorption. Seems like common sense.

Oh god, not this again.

I think it's quickly getting to the point where it isn't speculation any longer. Football is literally killing these guys.

In any individual case, it's speculation until the autopsy results are in.

In any individual case, it's speculation until the autopsy results are in.

If it is depression related to head injuries, no autopsy is going to show that.

That's like Daryl Talley getting run over by a charging buffalo. Twice. Because God wanted to be certain. All sorts of wrong.

:lol::worthy:

I hadn't even considered that angle of the lightning strike story.

I get where you're coming from, but I can't be that strong. In a lot of severely depressed people's brains, that's the only way out. They feel like they are burden. I disagree but it is really hard to understand what they are going through. Especially with all the trama that Seau's brain probably had.

It's easy to say you got a lot of money, a family, and a great life. But if you're in that place, it is completely meaningless.

I agree, and I hate feeling this way...I've spent a lot of time with people who are suffering from severe depression stemming from a variety of issues. My empathy and understanding runs very high - right up to the point where you take your own suffering and decide to hand it off to your children by giving them a lifelong memory and sense of guilt that can never be extinguished. Younger children are literally changed from that type of trauma. They can't process things as we can as adults, and this will be an indelible mark on their psyche. There is a WHOLE lot that falls under the umbrella of "treatment options" that one could pursue before resorting to this. If the kids weren't involved, it's a different story. But when they are, then I place a heavy burden on the individual to do everything and anything they can to get help. Shame on you, Junior.

I can't believe that story hasn't gotten more press.

I think it's quickly getting to the point where it isn't speculation any longer. Football is literally killing these guys.

There have been times over the years, particularly the last 5-10, where I have felt a little guilty for how much I love football...and for getting mad, because the game seems so soft to me, compared to the "good old days"...then you hear guys like Joe Delamielleure talk, or see feature stories about all the hell the guys subjected themselves, for money that is long gone, and for my satisfaction...I am more and more conflicted by this...but I still love the game, it is in my blood.

It may be a weak correlation, as one may not have anything to do with the other, but I think Goodell is right to be taking what seem to such extreme measures against the Saints. I am not sure that his motivation is as much to avoid future lawsuits as it is for real, honest to good concern for the well-being of the young guys who are playing...

Also, responding to someone else in the thread, it seems like, more and more, they are finding out that guys exposed to hits to the head, end up being more prone to depression, and mental health issues...it kind of makes sense. Part of your brain is being damaged, it is a physical and mental injury.

Edited by Buftex

Wonder if the suicide rates for U.S. combat veterans would concern people as much.

Talk about a group that gets the shaft...it sickens me the way vets are treated in this country.

I agree, and I hate feeling this way...I've spent a lot of time with people who are suffering from severe depression stemming from a variety of issues. My empathy and understanding runs very high - right up to the point where you take your own suffering and decide to hand it off to your children by giving them a lifelong memory and sense of guilt that can never be extinguished. Younger children are literally changed from that type of trauma. They can't process things as we can as adults, and this will be an indelible mark on their psyche. There is a WHOLE lot that falls under the umbrella of "treatment options" that one could pursue before resorting to this. If the kids weren't involved, it's a different story. But when they are, then I place a heavy burden on the individual to do everything and anything they can to get help. Shame on you, Junior.

Why are we just concerned about the kids in a story like this. Sure they may be affected most but dude had a wife (maybe, not sure) potential siblings, parents, cousins, friends, colleagues, former teammates, etc. Suicide....one of the most selfish acts a person can commit.