Junior Seau Dead @ 43

A bullet?

Sorry, not very funny AND he shot himself in the chest (supposedly).

Sorry to anyone I offended. I know my response was insensitive, but I thought he shot himself in the head and research on his brain was likely out of the question.

RIP Junior, a true competitor.

Not trying to be funny: I wonder how suicide rates compare for young lottery winners. I'm just trying to untangle the likely causes:

• Extreme wealth starting just out of college
  • concussions
  • chronic pain
  • other?

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

humor is always used to deflect the severity of the issue...sometimes it appears to be too soon, but admittedly it made me chuckle when i read it...

Sorry to anyone I offended. I know my response was insensitive, but I thought he shot himself in the head and research on his brain was likely out of the question.

Not trying to be funny: I wonder how suicide rates compare for young lottery winners. I'm just trying to untangle the likely causes:

• concussions
  • chronic pain
  • other?

id say you might be going a bit far, but we really dont know yet. i think the 2 halves of this really go hand in hand, and arent an either/or situation. not only do you lose the spotlight and the family of a lockerroom but your body and in many cases mind break down leaving you in constant pain physically and emotionally.

Yeah, I didnt mean to sound so black and white on it. It's definitely a bad combination.

• concussions
  • chronic pain
  • other?

I didnt think it was that bad. The classic equation is Comedy = Tragedy + Time. Mightve been a little soon, but no biggie.

• concussions
  • chronic pain
  • other?

No worries.

This now makes 8 players from the 1994 San Diego Chargers to have died

• Five months after the 1994 Super Bowl, LB David Griggs drove his car off a freeway ramp and slammed into a sign pole. Subsequent tests would show that his blood alcohol level was twice the legal limit.

• In 1996, RB Rodney Culver and his wife were aboard ValuJet FLight 592 from Miami to Atlanta when it crashed into the Everglades, killing all on board.

• In 1998, LB Doug Miller was struck by lightning while camping in Colorado. CPR was being performed on Miller when he was struck again by a second bolt.

• In 2008, C Curtis Whitley was found dead in his trailer in Texas. Whitley had a history of substance abuse and had twice been suspended by the NFL, and toxicology results pointed to an accidental overdose.

• Also in 2008, DE Chris Mims was discovered facedown on the bathroom floor of his Los Angeles apartment. An autopsy revealed an enlarged heart, and Mims weighed 456 pounds at his death.

• Early 2011, DT Shawn Lee died from cardiac arrest brought on by years of complications with diabetes.

• December 2011, Lew Bush suffered a heart attack at his home in San Diego. Since retiring in 2002, friends say he had struggled with his weight.

• Today, Junior Seau is found dead of a gun shot to his chest - what appears to be an apparent suicide. In 2010, Seau drove his car off a cliff after a domestic dispute and claimed he had "fallen asleep"... If it was a suicide, perhaps he was trying to preserve the brain for medical studies similar to Dave Duerson?

Edited by rocwocka

I don't remember a whole lot of suicides in any sport. There was the retired football player just lsat week but the only other one I remember was Donnie Moore, a baseball player.

There were like 3 suicides of ex NHL players this summer.

And it just goes to show you that no matter what you have or what you achieved, depression doesn't discriminate. I love the big hits and hate the way the game is becoming flag football, but this shos that they do need to continue with the changes. RIP Seau and if you are honestly making jokes about this, you're a sad human being.

This is the eighth player to die from the 1994 Chargers team

1994 Chargers deaths

The guy that got struck by lightning & the paramedics when they were recessitating him got struck by lightning again. I am no weather expert, but my guess is the odds on that happening have to be astronomical.

As far as Junior, sad ending to a hall of fame career. Parents today really have got to think twice about letting their sons play football. My son wants to play he is eight, I told him not until he is a little older. I am starting to think I don't want him to play ever.

Edited by Gordio

Shocking news. He always appeared to be a good guy to me and hope it was not a suicide or homocide. :unsure:

Prediction. The autopsy will show traumatic brain damage from his playing days which some jackass attorney will say contributed to his depression and death...and the NFL will get sued for this. <_<

Shocking news. He always appeared to be a good guy to me and hope it was not a suicide or homocide. :unsure:

Prediction. The autopsy will show traumatic brain damage from his playing days which some jackass attorney will say contributed to his depression and death...and the NFL will get sued for this. <_<

And that is the biggest mistake people can make. It's just emo kids that struggle with depression. My brother went to school with a honor student who played football at Penn. Girls love him and he didn't seem to have a worry in the world. Then one day, he just shot himself.

And since Seau as a linebacker was the last guy from Tecmo Super Bowl to retire from the NFL, I have little doubt head trauma was a big cause. Also, when you are a star athlete and retire in your 30s, you struggle to move on to the next phase of your life. There was a good NY Times article about Trevor Pryce. It's one of the reasons Farve always keep coming back.

I remember he drove off a cliff around the time he was involved with that horrible little troll Tila Tequila and she had him charged with domestic abuse. That was the first time that there seemed to be warning signs of trouble.

For me, it was when I heard he went yachting with Natalie Wood.

I'm typically about as sensitive to this sort of thing as anyone, but if he did take his own life and he's got young kids, then I'm sorry, but he's a selfish dickfuk and a coward.

As far as Junior, sad ending to a hall of fame career. Parents today really have got to think twice about letting their sons play football. My son wants to play he is eight, I told him not until he is a little older. I am starting to think I don't want him to play ever.

My son is eight as well and I'm pretty sure I'm not letting him near a football field. There are lots of sports to enjoy that don't involve repeated impact to the head.

I'm typically about as sensitive to this sort of thing as anyone, but if he did take his own life and he's got young kids, then I'm sorry, but he's a selfish dickfuk and a coward.

And apparently texted "love you" to all of them yesterday.

If only it were that simple. Chemical imbalances to the brain can cause all sorts of behavior that wouldn't have been "normal" behavior for an individual.

And that is the biggest mistake people can make. It's just emo kids that struggle with depression. My brother went to school with a honor student who played football at Penn. Girls love him and he didn't seem to have a worry in the world. Then one day, he just shot himself.

And since Seau as a linebacker was the last guy from Tecmo Super Bowl to retire from the NFL, I have little doubt head trauma was a big cause. Also, when you are a star athlete and retire in your 30s, you struggle to move on to the next phase of your life. There was a good NY Times article about Trevor Pryce. It's one of the reasons Farve always keep coming back.

Actually that was John Carney. Seau was the last non-kicker to retire though.

Why the NFL doesn't move to softer padding on the outside of helmets is beyond me. Its all about shock absorption. Seems like common sense.

Edited by QB Bills

I get where you're coming from, but I can't be that strong. In a lot of severely depressed people's brains, that's the only way out. They feel like they are burden. I disagree but it is really hard to understand what they are going through. Especially with all the trama that Seau's brain probably had.

It's easy to say you got a lot of money, a family, and a great life. But if you're in that place, it is completely meaningless.