Junior Seau Dead @ 43

Why are we just concerned about the kids in a story like this. Sure they may be affected most but dude had a wife (maybe, not sure) potential siblings, parents, cousins, friends, colleagues, former teammates, etc. Suicide....one of the most selfish acts a person can commit.

I just can't bear the idea of kids suffering when it can be avoided...

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been times over the years, particularly the last 5-10, where I have felt a little guilty for how much I love football...and for getting mad, because the game seems so soft to me, compared to the "good old days"...then you hear guys like Joe Delamielleure talk, or see feature stories about all the hell the guys subjected themselves, for money that is long gone, and for my satisfaction...I am more and more conflicted by this...but I still love the game, it is in my blood.

It may be a weak correlation, as one may not have anything to do with the other, but I think Goodell is right to be taking what seem to such extreme measures against the Saints. I am not sure that his motivation is as much to avoid future lawsuits as it is for real, honest to good concern for the well-being of the young guys who are playing...

Also, responding to someone else in the thread, it seems like, more and more, they are finding out that guys exposed to hits to the head, end up being more prone to depression, and mental health issues...it kind of makes sense. Part of your brain is being damaged, it is a physical and mental injury.

I go through this too. It gets a little harder to jump off the couch after a big hit when these stories become more prevalent. I also used to be a big pro wrestling fan as a kid and followed it some as an adult, but after all the deaths it just got too hard to support it. I don't want football to be that way.

Me either but please, it's not just about the kids.

I don't believe I said it was just about the kids. But as adults we are able to processing things as adults...kids don't have that ability. Junior took his issues, put a bow around them, and gave it to his kids as a going away present. They aren't the ONLY ones affected, but they will be the ones who are affected the most severely.

Sorry to anyone I offended. I know my response was insensitive, but I thought he shot himself in the head and research on his brain was likely out of the question.

RIP Junior, a true competitor.

Not trying to be funny: I wonder how suicide rates compare for young lottery winners. I'm just trying to untangle the likely causes:

• Extreme wealth starting just out of college
  • concussions
  • chronic pain
  • other?

People are too sensitive man. Life is too short for people to take themselves so seriously. You didn't offend me and if you did I would have gotten over it.

I don't believe I said it was just about the kids. But as adults we are able to processing things as adults...kids don't have that ability. Junior took his issues, put a bow around them, and gave it to his kids as a going away present. They aren't the ONLY ones affected, but they will be the ones who are affected the most severely.

Not always. Kids can be tough little cookies. My cousins children lost their mother and grandmother in a span of 3 months. I hear they're taking it better than the adults. I get your point though.

And that is the biggest mistake people can make. It's just emo kids that struggle with depression. My brother went to school with a honor student who played football at Penn. Girls love him and he didn't seem to have a worry in the world. Then one day, he just shot himself.

And since Seau as a linebacker was the last guy from Tecmo Super Bowl to retire from the NFL, I have little doubt head trauma was a big cause. Also, when you are a star athlete and retire in your 30s, you struggle to move on to the next phase of your life. There was a good NY Times article about Trevor Pryce. It's one of the reasons Farve always keep coming back.

Im sorry for your loss.

As a person that understands depression first hand from both my own experience and my schooling, this is very sad and nothing to mess around with. RIP Junior

Amazing how we cry and worry and shake our heads in dismay when some pampered millionaire ex jock kills himself. Oh those poor babies. Wonder if the suicide rates for U.S. combat veterans would concern people as much.

My guess would be because this is an nfl football board.

you sir are excellent at deflection.

No, I'm excellent at speaking the truth. I have no idea why he committed suicide. Maybe he suffered from a terminal illness and didn't want to suffer. Who knows. You certainly don't but once again, go ahead and speculate all you want.

There have been times over the years, particularly the last 5-10, where I have felt a little guilty for how much I love football...and for getting mad, because the game seems so soft to me, compared to the "good old days"...then you hear guys like Joe Delamielleure talk, or see feature stories about all the hell the guys subjected themselves, for money that is long gone, and for my satisfaction...I am more and more conflicted by this...but I still love the game, it is in my blood.

It may be a weak correlation, as one may not have anything to do with the other, but I think Goodell is right to be taking what seem to such extreme measures against the Saints. I am not sure that his motivation is as much to avoid future lawsuits as it is for real, honest to good concern for the well-being of the young guys who are playing...

Also, responding to someone else in the thread, it seems like, more and more, they are finding out that guys exposed to hits to the head, end up being more prone to depression, and mental health issues...it kind of makes sense. Part of your brain is being damaged, it is a physical and mental injury.

I still love football, but can't see how anyone can refuse to acknowledge what is happening here. We are witnessing a MAJOR development in the understanding of how the sport impacts its players and every one of these guys who they find with brain damage is one step closer to the tipping point of fundamentally changing the sport. The wild card is the lawsuits -- who knows when the NFL will lose the first big case and what that will mean. I bet the cigarette companies thought the day of reckoning would never arrive either. In the meanwhile, all parties involved will agree that they need to figure out how to protect the business, but make no mistake, a significant change to how football is played is coming.

And I'm sure Goodell's motivation vis a vis the Saints is 99.9% based on what the lawyers recommended in the face of these lawsuits.

I just can't get past the fact that this is entertainment and these people choose to play. Not to mention they get paid millions for it. Its hard to feel bad for them.

This now makes 8 players from the 1994 San Diego Chargers to have died

• Five months after the 1994 Super Bowl, LB David Griggs drove his car off a freeway ramp and slammed into a sign pole. Subsequent tests would show that his blood alcohol level was twice the legal limit.

• In 1996, RB Rodney Culver and his wife were aboard ValuJet FLight 592 from Miami to Atlanta when it crashed into the Everglades, killing all on board.

• In 1998, LB Doug Miller was struck by lightning while camping in Colorado. CPR was being performed on Miller when he was struck again by a second bolt.

• In 2008, C Curtis Whitley was found dead in his trailer in Texas. Whitley had a history of substance abuse and had twice been suspended by the NFL, and toxicology results pointed to an accidental overdose.

• Also in 2008, DE Chris Mims was discovered facedown on the bathroom floor of his Los Angeles apartment. An autopsy revealed an enlarged heart, and Mims weighed 456 pounds at his death.

• Early 2011, DT Shawn Lee died from cardiac arrest brought on by years of complications with diabetes.

• December 2011, Lew Bush suffered a heart attack at his home in San Diego. Since retiring in 2002, friends say he had struggled with his weight.

• Today, Junior Seau is found dead of a gun shot to his chest - what appears to be an apparent suicide. In 2010, Seau drove his car off a cliff after a domestic dispute and claimed he had "fallen asleep"... If it was a suicide, perhaps he was trying to preserve the brain for medical studies similar to Dave Duerson?

I just can't get past the fact that this is entertainment and these people choose to play. Not to mention they get paid millions for it. Its hard to feel bad for them.

I guess...if you don't have any feelings! :rolleyes:

Then i dont want to see a single post from you on this board about the potential outcome of the upcoming season, any games or the value of this years draft picks until at lesst the end of the season . :-)

No, I'm excellent at speaking the truth. I have no idea why he committed suicide. Maybe he suffered from a terminal illness and didn't want to suffer. Who knows. You certainly don't but once again, go ahead and speculate all you want.

I still love football, but can't see how anyone can refuse to acknowledge what is happening here. We are witnessing a MAJOR development in the understanding of how the sport impacts its players and every one of these guys who they find with brain damage is one step closer to the tipping point of fundamentally changing the sport. The wild card is the lawsuits -- who knows when the NFL will lose the first big case and what that will mean. I bet the cigarette companies thought the day of reckoning would never arrive either. In the meanwhile, all parties involved will agree that they need to figure out how to protect the business, but make no mistake, a significant change to how football is played is coming.

And I'm sure Goodell's motivation vis a vis the Saints is 99.9% based on what the lawyers recommended in the face of these lawsuits.

The problem as I see it is that the research can't stop at football. Hockey, boxing, rugby all have high rates of concussion, what's the suicide/depression rate there? Is it just a football incident? USA incident?

I guess...if you don't have any feelings! :rolleyes:

Feelings, what the hell are those?!?!?