Alex Tanney - QB Monmouth.

PIZ

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? 2 Alex Tanney threads??

Anyway, why would anyone want this guy on the roster--for halftime entertainment maybe? We would be better off with the guy who left USC.

Couldn't get Tannehill so maybe Tanney will have to do :D .

I'm curious though how acurate he was in games and under pressure. He's got the size 6'4" 220 but hope he has good arm strength, not that is the most important thing but noodle arms have killed many a good QB prospect.

Players All Star Classic Dish from 1-31-12:

Players who impressed on day one:

Alex Tanney-QB-Monmouth (IL): Tanney consistently displayed a strong arm today with the ability to make all the NFL throws. He flashed the ability to get rid of the ball quickly, but he needs to tighten up his release/delivery and footwork in order to be more consistent getting rid of the ball fast. He is a very good athlete who can roll-out effectively and can throw well on the move.

http://www.russlande.com/all-star-games/

If this kid is legit I may have to put Ray Ray Armstrong SAF 6'4" 215 as my first pick

Exactly. It's a 100 to 1 shot to even make the practice squad. It will be hard for him to beat out Aaron Corp, who has a 100 to 1 chance to make an NFL team. Tanney, however, at least isn't just a trick play QB. He did throw for more TDs than anyone in NCAA history and is 6' 4" 220 with an NFL arm. If he didn't get hurt he probably would have been drafted, and there were teams that were calling him before the draft was over.

It's a fun story. He probably won't even be signed to a contract let alone make the team as a PS player, but it could be fun to watch. To me, it's like Jasper. A huge long shot and fun story and guy you can root for without expecting anything.

This is exactly right, and it's frustrating that anyone would criticize a move like this with absolutely no risk and tons of upside, just because the Bills didn't pick up Kellen freaking Moore.

At the end of his video... if it was in black and white it woulda looked like an old 3 stooges/ abbot and costello video when he was hitin them two kids on bikes!

haha that was an awesome video, and its not like Fitz dosent throw at a few "garbage cans" here.. so hopefully this kid can fit in nice

The guy has got good size (6'3") and turned down the Steelers to come to the Bills minicamp. Give him a shot!

Just by seeing the youtube thing & his college accomplishments he's already got my vote to boot Thigpen out of a job . You never know we could have our next super QB visiting the team . :thumbsup:

Alex Tanney-QB-Monmouth (IL): Tanney consistently displayed a strong arm today with the ability to make all the NFL throws. He flashed the ability to get rid of the ball quickly, but he needs to tighten up his release/delivery and footwork in order to be more consistent getting rid of the ball fast. He is a very good athlete who can roll-out effectively and can throw well on the move.

If this kid is legit I may have to put Ray Ray Armstrong SAF 6'4" 215 as my first pick

Hey BB if we do keep this kid even though you didn't get your wish for us to draft Tannehil you may get half of your wish if the team keeps Tanney what do you think ?? :thumbsup:

A day after he's signed to an tc tryout you think he should make the final roster? Eh

The bolded statement.... Wow. What has Tanney shown us? That he can make throws that will never be attempted in a game? Thigpens threw 18 tds to 132 ints one season. Tanney has done nothing vs nfl competition. He's done nothing vs good competition and is coming off shoulder surgery. He's shown me absolutely nothing except he can get a lot of views on YouTube. /golfclap. I'm not a big fan of thigpen, but to say Tanney has shown us more than thigpen is a joke. Simply untrue

Let's be realistic here: we know what we have/don't have in Tyler Thigpen. What we don't have is a good, long-term solution at backup QB. It's not a question of if Thigpen needs to be replaced. It's a question of when.

In the form of Tanney, the Bills have a guy who's put up very good college stats, albeit at a DIII school. Tanney averaged over 10 yards per pass attempt, which is insane. He played in 47 games, 32 of which resulted in over 300 passing yards. He threw for only 30 INTs in 1756 pass attempts, for an INT percentage of 1.7%. I'm not a big fan of using completion percentage as a measurement of QB success, because that measure is biased in favor of West Coast QBs. But for what it's worth, his completion percentage was over 68%.

Tanney is going to come to training camp new to the NFL, without knowing Gailey's offense, without having had the chance to adjust to the speed of the NFL game, and without having developed chemistry with the Bills' WR corps. Thigpen will have none of these disadvantages.

Suppose the Bills decide to give the benefit of the doubt to Tanney, and keep him on the roster over Thigpen. And let's suppose that, a year from now, they realize that even with the time to learn Gailey's offense and adjust to the NFL, Tanney does not look very good. At that point, they'd realize they need an upgrade at backup QB. Which is basically where they are today.

Just by seeing the youtube thing & his college accomplishments he's already got my vote to boot Thigpen out of a job . You never know we could have our next super QB visiting the team . :thumbsup:

Hey BB if we do keep this kid even though you didn't get your wish for us to draft Tannehil you may get half of your wish if the team keeps Tanney what do you think ?? :thumbsup:

said the same thing earlier :lol: If he is as good as Tannehill we will be winning multiple superbowls. :thumbsup:

This guy looks like Tony Romo.

hopefully without the bone head ints.

said the same thing earlier :lol: If he is as good as Tannehill we will be winning multiple superbowls. :thumbsup:

I'm seeing a developing situation here.

If Tannehill = Talleywhacker, Then Tanney = ?

Talley?

Does Tanney even know who Talley is?

Vince Young didn't know who Talley was and the Bills ended up not signing him.

If the kid knows what's good for him he should memorize every player that ever played in the NFL before he legally changes his name and is issued number 56.

I'm gonna lie down for awhile now.

Seriously? Or is my sarcasm detector busted? He has immense touch and accuracy. He didn't throw that many ropes in games, but he still killed it week in and week out. Oh, the videos show crazy accuracy.

You heard the knock on him is accuracy? :o I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that accuracy does not seem to be a significant issue with this particular quarterback.

While he had abundant success at his Division III school, I'm curious about whether that success came from throwing to his primary receiver, or whether he was able to see the field quickly and throw to his second or third targets.

/sarcasm

You know, when Jauronimo and some others are sarcastic they get the venerable "well played" response. I thought my post was quite witty but it was obviously lacking something in the spice department. I have to work on my sarcasm. I'll get a "well played" this year.

Edited by Juror#8

They talked about Mark Asper at that web sight too. Our 6 rd draft choice.

What IF he turns out to be our version of Kurt Warner. Come out no where and lead the Bills to the promised land? You never know?

Problem is, you can say that about 100 guys or more. The team can't give them all opportunities and playing time, much less contracts.

Problem is, you can say that about 100 guys or more. The team can't give them all opportunities and playing time, much less contracts.

It's why I never got why NFL Europe didn't work out. A lot of good players came from that league. There is no subsitute for playing time. I'd love to see a real NFL minor league in non-NFL cities.