Alex Tanney - QB Monmouth.

PIZ

Players All Star Classic Dish from 1-31-12:

Players who impressed on day one:

Alex Tanney-QB-Monmouth (IL): Tanney consistently displayed a strong arm today with the ability to make all the NFL throws. He flashed the ability to get rid of the ball quickly, but he needs to tighten up his release/delivery and footwork in order to be more consistent getting rid of the ball fast. He is a very good athlete who can roll-out effectively and can throw well on the move.

http://www.russlande.com/all-star-games/

If this kid is legit I may have to put Ray Ray Armstrong SAF 6'4" 215 as my first pick

Here's what Dick Vermeil says about the guy (Russ Lande) who wrote that evaluation...

“Russ’s GM Jr Scouting manual is a great reflection of a person with a passion for detail, insight and the evaluation of football athletic skills. I don’t know anyone that puts more of his time and effort into his passion for this evaluation process than Russ. It is easy to call him the BEST!!”

Dick Vermeil,

Retired NFL Coach

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what Dick Vermeil says about the guy (Russ Lande) who wrote that evaluation...

“Russ’s GM Jr Scouting manual is a great reflection of a person with a passion for detail, insight and the evaluation of football athletic skills. I don’t know anyone that puts more of his time and effort into his passion for this evaluation process than Russ. It is easy to call him the BEST!!”

Dick Vermeil,

Retired NFL Coach and Paid Spokesperson for the Russ GM Jr. Scouting Manual

Fixed

The Bills would not give Tanney a opportunity if they did not think he had a chance... I expect the Bills to look him over good during mini camps... why not... He could turn out to be a diamond in the ruff or a complete flop. It is definitely worth a look... I hope he makes it... Next year the Bills will be hot after a franchise QB. I expect them to re-sign all the players whose contracts are up this year to be signed early. Those they want to keep anyway.

Bills will be reshuffling cap money this offseason to keep the team young with quality talent. I am loving what they are doing this off-season...

No, if YOU want that, you take Kellen Moore. To be clear.

You still haven't answered the question of why it's a BAD idea to bring the kid in. Oh, that's right, you're probably busy emptying your bladder in other threads.

I agree. Why not bring the kid in and see what he can do?!?! I don't understand what people think the Bills have to loose by taking a look at him. Leave no stone unturned. ! And that fact that people are looking at Buffalo as a destination is excellent news also.

It's not a bad idea for the Bills to bring anyone in for a tryout. Especially a QB.

There would be plenty wrong if the Bills brought him in based on this film clip. I've read where it shows how accurate he is.

Wrong.

What shows how accurate he is, is his college performance. Not his ability to hit standing targets with a football. Some in only 1 out of 6 tries.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

There are usually 5 different categories of QBs and all fit a specific purpose.

1. Obviously there is your starting QB.

2. Back-up type A -- this back-up is there to spark your team if your starter goes down for a series, or a half, or a couple games, and often is a change of pace. Can be called on in a pinch. Charlie Batch has been great for this kind of thing the last 5 years or more.

3. Back-up type B -- this back-up needs to be able to play the entire season, or the rest of the season, if your starter goes down for good. It's great, but tough to find, a back-up who is both type A and type B. Gailey seems to think Thigpen is both of those guys, or at least did. Most Bills fans think he is neither.

4. Your emergency QB. Usually this is a player who plays a different position. For the Bills it was Brad Smith, who at least was a good college QB but probably cannot play full time QB in the NFL. This guy is exactly what it sounds like, only if #1 and #2 are down in the same game and there is no #3 on your active roster.

5. Developmental QB. Most teams use their #3 for this although some, like Green Bay will keep their #3 on the PS and some have a #4 on their PS. But it's almost always a young unproven talent with some strength that isn't ready to play. Obviously we used Levi Brown for this off and on last year before giving up on him. But a team needs to have a guy like this. This year it will be a battle between Aaron Corp and Alex Tanney and one of them will very likely end up on the PS.