UPDATE: QB Vince Young Signs With Buffalo Bills

During Wednesday morning's Vince Young workout at One Bills Drive a handful of players on Buffalo's roster ran routes for the free agent quarterback.

Wide receivers David Nelson, Donald Jones, Naaman Roosevelt and Marcus Easley all participated and caught passes from Young.

No other word . .

Question is - is he still here - perhaps negotiating a contract?

Or has he left OBD for the airport - if he left right after the workout, I'd guess it was WITHOUT a deal. The longer he stays, the greater the chance they sign him.

They will talk to him for an extended period of time, and then he will sit in a room with Gailey and/or the QB coach David Lee and they will analyze "rapid digitized images" for a long time to determine Young's ability to analyze defenses and his football IQ. They do that with almost all visitors like that, and it could take a couple hours. That may have happened before the physical tryout but is likely after, considering it is still only 1 pm.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Probably because they were only compared in camp and practice. I remember not too long ago when Edwards beat out Fitz for the starting job.

The Eagles wanted Trent Edwards more than they did Vince Young. Take from that what you will.

For a team that employs a starting quarterback destined to be injured for stretches of the season, Andy Reid and Company put their faith in Trent in 2012, not Vince to be the backup to Michael Vick.

Perhaps it was that four interception game. Against the Seahawks.

The Eagles love to reclaim quarterbacks in their buy low, sell high approach to draft picks. They gave up on Vince.

Is he better than Thigpen? Really don't know.

Edited by dpberr

Interesting considering Vince and Mario were the hotly debated "who should be the 1st pick in the draft for the Texans?" back in 2006 .

Now we can have them both!!

The Eagles wanted Trent Edwards more than they did Vince Young. Take from that what you will.

For a team that employs a starting quarterback destined to be injured for stretches of the season, Andy Reid and Company put their faith in Trent in 2012, not Vince to be the backup to Michael Vick.

Perhaps it was that four interception game. Against the Seahawks.

The Eagles love to reclaim quarterbacks in their buy low, sell high approach to draft picks. They gave up on Vince.

Is he better than Thigpen? Really don't know.

Good way to find out in pre-season and training camp.

Why do people think there are only 2 options here? This isn't a case of Thigpen or Young, take it or leave it. There's plenty of people here that don't like either option, and there are other QBs out there.

What I find tiresome is the hyperbole. I don't see any pristine "moralists" here or people claiming that there are "lofty moral standards" to play for the Bills. What thread are you reading? I see a lot of people that don't want a mentally unstable QB to come in and screw up what looks to be a promising season. I doubt there's a single person in the Eagles organization that thinks VY helped their team last year. That's the reality of the situation.

And even if there were a "lofty western NY moral code," the fact that you brought up OJ, a man who was charged 15 years after he left the organization, really puts the stamp on how idiotic your post was.

Did you read the first post on this topic that stated that if VY is signed this long term season ticket holder would no longer go to the games? VY did have some emotional and maturity issues when he was with the Titans. Do you think that this organization would bring in a person who was still having those issues? Don't you think that your calling VY mentally unstable is not only hyperbolic but also unfair?

Let's be clear I never said anything about a take it or leave it situation. The organization is bringing in a player to look at, not necessarily sign right away. That is a standard practice league wise. There is nothing unusual about that.

Edited by JohnC

The Eagles will use Mike Kaftka as their backup this year and they drafted Nick Foles in the 3rd round this year as well. Trent Edwards is not in their plans for this season and neither was VY.

I'd be willing to bet that Chan Gailey thinks more highly of Fitz then anyone on this board realizes, in all aspects. Gailey had visions of the playoffs or at least a winning season and just kept throwing trying to win games last season. I'd also be willing to bet that Chan thinks more highly of Fitz then he does Fred Jackson.

The mere fact that the last two years Gailey didn't draft a QB of any sort tells me he loves him some Fitz.

Anyway, Gailey needs to realize that Fitz is not Tom Brady and he doesn't have the offensive horsepower just yet to keep calling shotgun, empty backfield 5 WR sets with only one good WR (SJ).

PS. now that I think about it VY might be a waste of time, that new QB coach needs to spend all his time of working with Fitz and the un drafted rookie QB Aaron Corp

I doubt Gailey thinks more highly of Fitz a man with a losing record as a starter, and a limited arsenal of tools other than a quick release and quick slants designed just for him. Please he was a career backup. Jackson was the best player on the entire Bills team until he went down. My Mom could figure that out.

Both Nix and Gailey have to go with Fitz in year(s) 3 and most likely four. They are in no position to redesign a offense for another quarterback. The Brady comment is laughable.

I doubt Gailey thinks more highly of Fitz a man with a losing record as a starter, and a limited arsenal of tools other than a quick release and quick slants designed just for him. Please he was a career backup. Jackson was the best player on the entire Bills team until he went down. My Mom could figure that out.

Both Nix and Gailey have to go with Fitz in year(s) 3 and most likely four. They are in no position to redesign a offense for another quarterback. The Brady comment is laughable.

I gaurantee you that Nix and Gailey love Ryan Fitzpatrick, as evidenced by the 60 million contract and the fact they have made zero moves to try to replace him. Not to mention they constantly say it. Even this morning, Nix said it...

When asked if Fitz is franchise quarterback material, Nix answered much the way he has in the past.

“I get asked it every day and I always have the same answer: We just haven’t given him enough help,” said Nix. ”We know he can do it because he was as hot as anybody could be in the first seven games. We’ve seen him do it in a game so we just have to try to make the conditions around him better so he can do it consistently.”

I gaurantee you that Nix and Gailey love Ryan Fitzpatrick, as evidenced by the 60 million contract and the fact they have made zero moves to try to replace him. Not to mention they constantly say it. Even this morning, Nix said it...

I never said they don't like him. It's obvious. Do they think more highly of his skill set than Fred? I really doubt it. Does Gailey think Fitz is comparable to Brady? Laughable. That is what I responded to.

I hope Fitz goes lights out this year, also I will consider the season a complete failure with anything other than 10-6.The parts are in place, time for the players to earn their game checks.

I never said they don't like him. It's obvious. Do they think more highly of his skill set than Fred? I really doubt it. Does Gailey think Fitz is comparable to Brady? Laughable. That is what I responded to.

I hope Fitz goes lights out this year, also I will consider the season a complete failure with anything other than 10-6.The parts are in place, time for the players to earn their game checks.

I agree anything less than playoffs this season is a failure. And I agree that Chan likely LOVES Fred Jackson. How could he not. But I highly doubt and am sure of it in fact, that Gailey does not at all think of Fitz as how you described him, a "man with a losing record as a starter, and a limited arsenal of tools other than a quick release and quick slants designed just for him." I bet he thinks of Fitzpatrick as a QB with almost every single one of the 20 attributes you love to see in your starting QB, he just wishes he was a little more accurate and a little better on his long throws, a little stronger arm (it's strong enough, just not real strong) and didn't take so many chances when the play was not there.

Can we stop using W-L record as a way to judge QBs? There about 5 QBs that single handedly can win games. Are Alex Smith or Mark Sanchez good QBs? They must be better than Phillip Rivers because they had a better record than him right? Stupid.

And VY is crazy and a terrible leader. He has all the tools but a 10 cent head. Physically, he owuld be the most talented QB Gailey has ever had. I'll trust Gailey if he thinks he can work with him. But he should be given a one year deal, clearly knowing his role on the team. VY needs us a lot more than we need him.

Can we stop using W-L record as a way to judge QBs? There about 5 QBs that single handedly can win games. Are Alex Smith or Mark Sanchez good QBs? They must be better than Phillip Rivers because they had a better record than him right? Stupid.

And VY is crazy and a terrible leader. He has all the tools but a 10 cent head. Physically, he owuld be the most talented QB Gailey has ever had. I'll trust Gailey if he thinks he can work with him. But he should be given a one year deal, clearly knowing his role on the team. VY needs us a lot more than we need him.

Alex Smith single handily lost the NFC championship game in my opinion. Also back in the day I saw Montana single handily win games with less than stellar players around him in the early years. W-L isn't a great gauge but in a guy like Thigpen it is very telling. We can agree to disagree.

Young has issues, but at this late stage in his career even though he is only 29. He's running out of chances. A one year deal with a option would be perfect for him. Plus I'm guessing he can be had for less than what the team pays Thigpen. There is no season period if Fitz goes down and Thigpen is put in a starter role. You got to think Nix would drill it into VY head that your here for backup. Also, I am always skeptical of Fitz krapping the bed, for multiple games. Buffalo would not be immune to calls for Young to start if we are in contention and that scenario happens. Maybe there are better choices out there but Young should have figured out by now, wherever he goes the leash will be short.

Alex Smith single handily lost the NFC championship game in my opinion. Also back in the day I saw Montana single handily win games with less than stellar players around him in the early years. W-L isn't a great gauge but in a guy like Thigpen it is very telling. We can agree to disagree.

Young has issues, but at this late stage in his career even though he is only 29. He's running out of chances. A one year deal with a option would be perfect for him. Plus I'm guessing he can be had for less than what the team pays Thigpen. There is no season period if Fitz goes down and Thigpen is put in a starter role. You got to think Nix would drill it into VY head that your here for backup. Also, I am always skeptical of Fitz krapping the bed, for multiple games. Buffalo would not be immune to calls for Young to start if we are in contention and that scenario happens. Maybe there are better choices out there but Young should have figured out by now, wherever he goes the leash will be short.

80 year old drunk Kerry Collins went 13-3 when VY got benched. Besides Brady, Rodgers, Brees, and maybe Peyton, teams win games. Eli Manning had by far and away the best season of his career and was 2 games over .500.

Note* they have 16 replies and we have 19 pages.

Also Note* at least 7 pages are related to the dude's "open letter" to Buddy Nix saying he was not gonna be a fan any more if they sign Vince Young, apparently because he confused VY with Mike Vick.

Also Note* at least 7 pages are related to the dude's "open letter" to Buddy Nix saying he was not gonna be a fan any more if they sign Vince Young, apparently because he confused VY with Mike Vick.

:lol: totally true

1335987036[/url]' post='2456344']

Did you happen to notice a guy named Kyle Williams on the field that day? I agree that Smith was terrible that day and they could've won if he played better....but they likely would have won if Kyle Williams didnt suit up. 2 TOs on returns and a fumble . 3 TOs by a bit player. GG