Final thoughts

3putt

We got a lot of bodies. The overall character is outstanding. The Bills did their homework on that front. An eagle scout for christmas sake. But with ten picks and a high position in each round, we got maybe one starter on opening day, and maybe two by the end of the year. No one who jumps out as a HOF type. Solid ST depth and a crowded Practice Squad. I know we had holes, but with that type of ammo I would have expected a more immediate impact on the starting lineup recent FA acquisitions factored in. SO I think that while we got talent up and down the roster, I do not see a great step forward. I like what hte Bengals did, great value and probably two to three starters to a Playoff team. The steelers are retooled. New England did well to address immediate holes and there weren't many. So I guess I feel we wasted the opportunity accelerate the rebuilding process. This draft has a traditional feel to it like many in the past where we will see mid and late rounders get replaced by next years mid and late rounders. So while I commend OBD for not taking a step back, I am not sure we moved up in the overall hierarchy. I would love to have seen a more judicious use of picks, some movement and the addition of true starters this year. Glenn may not start, Gilmore will struggle, all DB's do while they learn. Our WR is a huge question mark and probably a project. I guess I expected a bigger leap.

I know this will get ripped and I will get the wait three years response, but I am tired of waiting. I attended games at the Rockpile when I was in grade school so I have been drinking the Kool aid my whole life. I really thought that we would walk away from this weekend with more starters, on day 1 2012.

I would suggest that your problem is ...expecting more starters from the draft.

We got a couple solid defensive line starters in FA. Outside of the first round (which I think we got a starter there), and maybe 2nd, you should only expect day 1 starters if your current roster blows. I would contend that our roster going into the draft, did not completely blow.

And finally, who would you have liked seen drafted that would be these multiple day 1 starters?

I think what you are saying is that "I wish the Bills had drafted more guys that I have heard of."

The Bengals had 2 first round picks. That sort of helps get "names".

Seriously, you gotta be shi77in' me that you don't think the Bills did well in this draft. If you feel that way, you don't seem like a very savvy football fan. Maybe you're just young. I don't know.

But you should be pretty damn satisfied with what the Bills have done.

Of course, everyone has an opinion.

So what players do you think we should have drafted keeping in mind that this does not like to give up picks to move up

That's the point. Hoarding picks like they are gold is no longer realistic under the new cba. Missess don't set you back as much and trading up isn't as much of a cap hit. I would have liked to seen 3 starters and a significant contribution from a situational player. That comes from trading up and down judiciously. I just do not see the immediate impact. Maybe the thought all along was 2013 who knows.

That's the point. Hoarding picks like they are gold is no longer realistic under the new cba. Missess don't set you back as much and trading up isn't as much of a cap hit. I would have liked to seen 3 starters and a significant contribution from a situational player. That comes from trading up and down judiciously. I just do not see the immediate impact. Maybe the thought all along was 2013 who knows.

Ah, who? Please name name or there is no reason to take you seriously.

We got a lot of bodies. The overall character is outstanding. The Bills did their homework on that front. An eagle scout for christmas sake. But with ten picks and a high position in each round, we got maybe one starter on opening day, and maybe two by the end of the year. No one who jumps out as a HOF type. Solid ST depth and a crowded Practice Squad. I know we had holes, but with that type of ammo I would have expected a more immediate impact on the starting lineup recent FA acquisitions factored in. SO I think that while we got talent up and down the roster, I do not see a great step forward. I like what hte Bengals did, great value and probably two to three starters to a Playoff team. The steelers are retooled. New England did well to address immediate holes and there weren't many. So I guess I feel we wasted the opportunity accelerate the rebuilding process. This draft has a traditional feel to it like many in the past where we will see mid and late rounders get replaced by next years mid and late rounders. So while I commend OBD for not taking a step back, I am not sure we moved up in the overall hierarchy. I would love to have seen a more judicious use of picks, some movement and the addition of true starters this year. Glenn may not start, Gilmore will struggle, all DB's do while they learn. Our WR is a huge question mark and probably a project. I guess I expected a bigger leap.

I know this will get ripped and I will get the wait three years response, but I am tired of waiting. I attended games at the Rockpile when I was in grade school so I have been drinking the Kool aid my whole life. I really thought that we would walk away from this weekend with more starters, on day 1 2012.

wrong. glenn will start somewhere on our line. will get the 1st shot at LT. may be moved if he fails but then hes at least our RG.

and with our 3-5 wide sets i expect graham to be out there.

so 2 starters for sure, maybe 3.

Can I borrow your time machine? You must have one if you already know we didn't get three starters from this draft.

I would suggest that your problem is ...expecting more starters from the draft.

We got a couple solid defensive line starters in FA. Outside of the first round (which I think we got a starter there), and maybe 2nd, you should only expect day 1 starters if your current roster blows. I would contend that our roster going into the draft, did not completely blow.

And finally, who would you have liked seen drafted that would be these multiple day 1 starters?

I am not suggesting we are the Pirates of the NFL, but consensus here at TBD was Morrison should bagging at Wegmans and we should start the 13th caller to WGR opposite Johnson. I do not see Opening day starters in those slots. It's not just names I know, I am in Big ten country and if you don't have good internet access you wouldn't know they play football south of the Mason Dixon. But I do follow it and know there are good players out there. What I did not hear or read often in the commentary to our draft was "day one starter." Rather, "solid pick, will be there for ten years." Great but stating when?

We got two immediate starters in the first two rounds and probably a starter in round three (although I am not enamored by that pick myself). If you expect more than or two day one starters from your draft, your team stinks. We had four needs, and two starting positions (LT and WR) available. We got players at all four, including two players at two of them. We got two starters and maybe three. I don't think you can ask for more. I'm very happy with this draft.

This is almost as bad as the guy who will inevitably post "This is greatest draft class EVER by the Bills!"

You've made far too many assumptions in your original post. How do you know Gillmore will struggle? Because every single rookie CB in league history has??? (Not true, btw) How do you know Glenn won't win the LT job by the start of the season?? How do you know our WR is a huge question mark and can't make an immediate impact? Because Mayock says so?

Just because the Bengals had 2 first round picks and drafted guys you heard of doesn't mean they'll work out great.

Seriously, no idea why we don't draft hall of famers. Buddy one step behind drafting players who have never played a down in the NFL and not listening to expert advisers who vast and intimate knowledge of 98% of college players. The ability of the scouts of this board would have us acing the draft every year if only OBD would listen.

How are you so sure there aren't 3 starters in this draft?

Freddie was an UDFA and Fitzpatrick, Stevie and Bell were all 7th rounders that were at the very least quality starters for us last year,I trust this admins personal decisions, how is it that you can see the future of this years draft better than them?

You're just mad that the players YOU wanted the Bills wanted nothing to do with.

Edited by Hazed and Amuzed

I agree, we should've drafted more Hall of Famers. Rookie mistake to just draft unproven guys who've never played a down in the NFL.

Well played :thumbsup:

But seriously, I think we all have to remember something: no matter who is picked, there is no saying for sure until they take the field whether or not a pick will boom or bust. If you watched the Draft's list of the last times QB's were taken 1-2, a fair number of them never panned out.

Keeping that in mind, I think we have at least three players who will get a lot of time. I don't know if Gilmore will be 1 or 2, but I bet he plays nickel. I'm positive that Glenn will be somewhere on the O-line, and the fact that he can play at guard too only makes him more valuable. #2 receiver is an open ball game, and with the spread offense (and our prodigious WR injury rate) being the 5th WR means you'll be on the field.

it's waaaaaaay too early to start judging this draft. here's my initial take on it, though the final pick is not yet in. the bills addressed immediate needs in Gilmore and Glenn. and they've since addressed immediate needs in creating competition and depth, something that was a big issue with last year's team.

the Bills, as they're built right now, should have a better defense. and they should be more capable of overcoming injuries than they were a year ago. ... i think the only real worry is who's going to play opposite Stevie Johnson throughout the season.

don't know why the Bills would want to draft a Hall of Famer. those guys are old, and i'm pretty sure under NFL rules they're ineligible to be selected in the draft.

jw

How are you so sure there aren't 3 starters in this draft?

Freddie was an UDFA and Fitzpatrick, Stevie and Bell were all 7th rounders that were at the very least quality starters for us last year,I trust this admins personal decisions, how is it that you can see the future of this years draft better than them?

You're just mad that the players YOU wanted the Bills wanted nothing to do with.

3putz will not say who he would have picked. I'm sure he'll let us know in a few years, "I said the Bills should have taken . . ."

This is almost as bad as the guy who will inevitably post "This is greatest draft class EVER by the Bills!"

You've made far too many assumptions in your original post. How do you know Gillmore will struggle? Because every single rookie CB in league history has??? (Not true, btw) How do you know Glenn won't win the LT job by the start of the season?? How do you know our WR is a huge question mark and can't make an immediate impact? Because Mayock says so?

Just because the Bengals had 2 first round picks and drafted guys you heard of doesn't mean they'll work out great.

As to assumptions, CHIX thinks Hairston is their guy. I do not think there is enough data to say he is not. No OTA's, No Minicamps, injury etc. The point is then Glenn, a talent, no argument develops as a OL usually does and is rotated in. Immediate impact maybe, game changing don't know. 2 first rounders is a luxury, but we certainly could have leveraged some of our picks for an extra 2 or 3 and increase the probability that those guys play right away.

I think you are missing the point of my thread or I articulated it poorly, we got loads of talent, I guess I am impatient to see this team not only winning but contending with the top tier now.

If you recall, our team was pretty good last year before the injuries hit. We didn't finish 6-10 due to a lack of quality starters, but rather, due to a lack of depth. That is what we got while simultaneously upgrading our future starting rotation. Great FA, great draft, great off-season. I'm excited.

1335648895[/url]' post='2451869']

it's waaaaaaay too early to start judging this draft. here's my initial take on it, though the final pick is not yet in. the bills addressed immediate needs in Gilmore and Glenn. and they've since addressed immediate needs in creating competition and depth, something that was a big issue with last year's team.

the Bills, as they're built right now, should have a better defense. and they should be more capable of overcoming injuries than they were a year ago. ... i think the only real worry is who's going to play opposite Stevie Johnson throughout the season.

don't know why the Bills would want to draft a Hall of Famer. those guys are old, and i'm pretty sure under NFL rules they're ineligible to be selected in the draft.

jw

Care to reveal your sources on this?? Otherwise, I'm calling it BS, sloopy reporting! pirate.gif

If you recall, our team was pretty good last year before the injuries hit. We didn't finish 6-10 due to a lack of quality starters, but rather, due to a lack of depth. That is what we got while simultaneously upgrading our future starting rotation. Great FA, great draft, great off-season. I'm excited.

Great post and I totally agree! :thumbsup:

As to assumptions, CHIX thinks Hairston is their guy. I do not think there is enough data to say he is not. No OTA's, No Minicamps, injury etc. The point is then Glenn, a talent, no argument develops as a OL usually does and is rotated in. Immediate impact maybe, game changing don't know. 2 first rounders is a luxury, but we certainly could have leveraged some of our picks for an extra 2 or 3 and increase the probability that those guys play right away.

I think you are missing the point of my thread or I articulated it poorly, we got loads of talent, I guess I am impatient to see this team not only winning but contending with the top tier now.

The Bengals drafted a DB who by all accounts had to be baby sat to be kept out of trouble, a guard who's neither athletic or strong, and a lazy DT. This is what you're pining away for? Really? Seriously?

Maybe Gilmore. Who do you see?

Gilmore, plus I'd give Glenn better than even odds at beating out Hairston. Even if he isn't starting at LT, he may be starting at RT or RG. Graham may not be a starter in the traditional sense of being the #1 or #2 receiver listed on the depth chart, but I wouldn't be surprised if he sees significant opening day playing time in 3 and 4 receiver sets, which Chan runs a lot of. If the first play we run on offense is a 4 receiver set and he's on the field, would that then make him a starter? I'm not saying all three of these guys will start or have significant opening day snaps, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. It's too early to tell either way.

OMG, right?!? Not ONE obvious Hall of Famer after 3 days of drafting!! WTF?!?

Based purely on consensus projections, we drafted two SURE starters, with the potential for this draft to yield four or five starting caliber players.

Depending on how our team plays out, I think all of our top seven picks could get significant playing time.

Stephon Gilmore was projected by most to be a Top 10 to Mid-First Round pick. He will almost certainly contribute big this year and he should be starting next to Aaron Williams by the start of next season.

Cordy Glenn was projected as a safe, middle of the first round guard. The Bills see him as a left tackle. Even if he never wins that job, he will eventually start somewhere on our offensive line. Many considered Zebrie Sanders a second round prospect, also with starting potential. He will start as valuable depth and could leave us with an EXCELLENT tackle rotation with Glenn, Pears and Hairston.

Nigel Bradham and Tank Carder were both considered third round talents, with the potential to eventually become solid starters. There is a good chance that one of these guys will eventually unseat Kirk Morrison. Maybe the other will be a replacement for Nick Barnett someday.

Ron Brooks could eventually become our nickle corner. With the number of 3-4-5 receiver sets that teams run, that's almost as good as being a starter.

TJ Graham was a reach. But in the spread passing attack, it's clear Buffalo wasn't looking for an "all-around" receiver. They wanted pure speed, even if he's a one-dimensional player.

Care to reveal your sources on this?? Otherwise, I'm calling it BS, sloopy reporting! pirate.gif

Sloppy ( slip-shod), sloopy ( some nautical reference) .If you're not being sarcastic, ease up , we already chased other sports writers off the board.

The Bengals drafted a DB who by all accounts had to be baby sat to be kept out of trouble, a guard who's neither athletic or strong, and a lazy DT. This is what you're pining away for? Really? Seriously?

If you only want to read the bottom half of the reports:

Wr- Great speed, inconsistent, sloppy route runner, drops too many balls

OL- Huge, poor feet, more f a guard than tackle, right tackle.

DB- CB Elite speed, poor ball skills, hesitant, elite receivers turn him around easily.

LB - Physical freak, does not fight through traffic, gets lost at the line of scrimmage, hesitant reading plays.

So you wasted your 47th post on this schlock?

If you only want to read the bottom half of the reports:

Wr- Great speed, inconsistent, sloppy route runner, drops too many balls

OL- Huge, poor feet, more f a guard than tackle, right tackle.

DB- CB Elite speed, poor ball skills, hesitant, elite receivers turn him around easily.

LB - Physical freak, does not fight through traffic, gets lost at the line of scrimmage, hesitant reading plays.

Just put down the draft guides and back away from the Internet.

Then go and watch some video of the guys (actual games rather than highlight clips), if possible...

1335651177[/url]' post='2451921']

Sloppy ( slip-shod), sloopy ( some nautical reference) .If you're not being sarcastic, ease up , we already chased other sports writers off the board.

If JW doesn't pick up what I considered fairly obvious sarcasm, he's not half the poster I thunk. So, no worries.

Oh is that all? I would have liked to date a supermodel.

I also would have liked to see the return of our Toronto home game, the Pats draft all kickers and the Jets to mix up the dates of the draft. And the supermodel would be nice too but let's be reasonable. I will concede a nickel cb and ST regular fits my definition, but I guess just thought we could have done more. There is obviously a formula for the players they want. I guess I am just not disciplined enough.

I also would have liked to see the return of our Toronto home game, the Pats draft all kickers and the Jets to mix up the dates of the draft. And the supermodel would be nice too but let's be reasonable. I will concede a nickel cb and ST regular fits my definition, but I guess just thought we could have done more. There is obviously a formula for the players they want. I guess I am just not disciplined enough.

I'm pissed they didn't offer their whole draft for Manning. Archie Manning.