Mayock Lovers

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we forgetting they need a LT now?

No, but I don't think drafting Glenn cost them a shot at that LT, either. I don't think anyone else on the board stood much of a chance of being an instant upgrade at LT and under those circumstances, the next best thing is an upgrade at one of the other OL spots.

And I'm not completely writing off the possibility of Glenn becoming a solid LT, either.

Mayock's analysis makes for good TV. However, when was the last time any of the 32 teams had him on their payroll for his expertise? The TV gig pays well and his draft misses or miscalculations cost $0.00 to the rest of the NFL and most assuredly his own bank account. As a TV guy, he is great.

Right...Mayock was stunned by the Glenn Pick...A Player he himself had rated #25 overall, who went #41 overall, to a Team that needed an OT...And he was shocked... :blink:

Right... :thumbsup:

Just checked and you're right. Mayock had Glenn going 24th (to the Steelers) in his final mock. Yet taking him at 41 is a shocker? Not to mention he thinks he can be an excellent RT and an all pro OG. :rolleyes:

But as I've said, he played LT at 345# and the Bills will likely get him back down to the 330# he played at before then, which will make him quicker. The more I'm reading about him, the better I like him, and getting him in the 2nd was a steal.

Watching Mayock rip off his suit coat and yell "Beast" to satiate the panel ie Michael Irvin and Deion (why the hell does he have a job) made me realize actually just how much better ESPNs coverage of the draft is. Yes, I just typed this.

I'm not going to disagree. Mayock may be better than anything ESPN has, but overall, NFL network's coverage has been underwhelming the last couple of years. I think I'm going to watch ESPN's coverage today for a change.

Are we forgetting they need a LT now?

No. But there was only one for sure left tackle now guy and he was long off the board by the time the Bills picked in at 10. Glenn has clearly demonstrated he could handle the move to LT. For a second round pick, there is nothing but upside. BUT, even at worst case this guy could still move inside an be an all-pro. Not bad for a second round pick.

pretty funny that our FO thinks hes got pretty GOOD feet to go with his size and wingspan.

and since our FO want our team to do well, as opposed to most tv-guys, i tend to trust our guys way more than mayock, kiper or whoever.

besides that, they bothj had 1st-round grades on glenn. or not?

I read that Glenn was a guard last year and made the move to LT this year. Also, the tape from the begining of the year was very different than the end of the year and the Senior Bowl.

Based on that I think the Bills see a talent that is developong in a new position for him.

On Grahm I thought I saw that he was a track guy who has only been playing football for a few years. Another player with talent and learning to play their position.

I don't think someone like Mayock or Kiper take when the film was taken into consideration.

As far as Mayock and any of these experts, dont forget that it is much easier to dump on 300,000 people vs. 8 million. Particularly when that small market team has whiffef in recent memory.

Until the Bills make the playoffs, they will be stuck with neg reviews on everything.

Frankly, Glenn can be a good pick even if he doesn't work out at LT. Each year, injuries seem to send us to the scrap heap for interior linemen.

This, plus this

pretty funny that our FO thinks hes got pretty GOOD feet to go with his size and wingspan.

and since our FO want our team to do well, as opposed to most tv-guys, i tend to trust our guys way more than mayock, kiper or whoever.

besides that, they bothj had 1st-round grades on glenn. or not?

equals

:thumbsup:

Mayock had a 7th round grade on Graham. They ALL said Glenn was a guard. Showed him getting smoked by nobody De`s.

How exactly did you get that out of what you saw?...They showed a single play where an OT was beat (turns out it was not Glenn) to the inside by a a DE, at the Sr Bowl (No name? It was an All Star Game Practice... :huh: ) to illustrate what happens when he does not move his feet correctly...Then they showed a play where he stones a guy (this WAS Glenn) at the same Practice moving his feet the right way...

Also...If you watched Mayock's description a couple days ago concerning why he moved Glenn back up into a 1st Round Grade, he explained how Glenn reminded him of Marcus McNeil...And how he had missed on McNeil calling him a "heavy legged waist-bender." He said Glenn was similar and even though he sees him as more of a Guard/RT prospect, after doing some "self-scouting," he moved him back up because he is massive and has great potential...

The Buffalo Bills are saying Glenn is a LT Prospect...They Drafted him to be one...We'll see if they are right...But like Buddy said "No he’s not a guard. He started 50 games, the last 16 was left tackle. We put it out there, we tried to spread the rumor that he was a guard and hope somebody wouldn’t take him."

Now maybe Buddy is wrong, and some of these talking heads are right...But to be honest, and no offense, I think you're kind of over exaggerating the the whole reaction thing...Glenn was a VERY good, if not great College Offensive Lineman...Mayock had him Rated #25 overall...Pro Football Weekly had him at #23...He's a 1st Team All SEC, and 3rd Team AP All American LT in his first full year playing the position...How many prospects can say that? All the Scouts seem to like him...The ONLY question is whether or not he's going to be a LT...Some think he's going to be a LT (like The Bills), others don't...But almost everybody agrees he's going to be a Pro Bowl caliber Guard if he plays there...And The Bills had terrible injury problems all along the O-Line last Season...So as far as I can tell, this was a no-brainer pick...He makes our O-Line WAY better from day #1... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Mayock had a 7th round grade on Graham. They ALL said Glenn was a guard. Showed him getting smoked by nobody De`s.

How exactly did you get that out of what you saw?...They showed a single play where an OT was beat (turns out it was not Glenn) to the inside by a a DE, at the Sr Bowl (No name? It was an All Star Game Practice... :huh: ) to illustrate what happens when he does not move his feet correctly...Then they showed a play where he stones a guy (this WAS Glenn) at the same Practice moving his feet the right way...

Also...If you watched Mayock's description a couple days ago concerning why he moved Glenn back up into a 1st Round Grade, he explained how Glenn reminded him of Marcus McNeil...And how he had missed on McNeil calling him a "heavy legged waist-bender." He said Glenn was similar and even though he sees him as more of a Guard/RT prospect, after doing some "self-scouting," he moved him back up because he is massive and has great potential...

The Buffalo Bills are saying Glenn is a LT Prospect...They Drafted him to be one...We'll see if they are right...But like Buddy said "No he’s not a guard. He started 50 games, the last 16 was left tackle. We put it out there, we tried to spread the rumor that he was a guard and hope somebody wouldn’t take him."

Now maybe Buddy is wrong, and some of these talking heads are right...But to be honest, and no offense, I think you're kind of over exaggerating the the whole reaction thing...Glenn was a VERY good, if not great College Offensive Lineman...Mayock had him Rated #25 overall...Pro Football Weekly had him at #23...He's a 1st Team All SEC, and 3rd Team AP All American LT in his first full year playing the position...How many prospects can say that? All the Scouts seem to like him...The ONLY question is whether or not he's going to be a LT...Some think he's going to be a LT (like The Bills), others don't...But almost everybody agrees he's going to be a Pro Bowl caliber Guard if he plays there...And The Bills had terrible injury problems all along the O-Line last Season...So as far as I can tell, this was a no-brainer pick...He makes our O-Line WAY better from day #1... B-)

That is not Glenn getting smoked, it was Bruce Allen #72, the next play was Glenn #71 manhandling the DE.

Props to Last Guy Off the Bench for starting this thread.

My link

The very best talent evaluators in the world are wrong more than 50% of the time.

So true. That's why I have never believed in the BPA nonsense. How can anyone have any idea who the best player available is, regardless of position? Better to pick good players at positions of need. A lot of these so called BPAs turn out to be not very good at any position.

Glenn scares me with the weight. Like I said ankle, Knee and back problems start with weight problems. The problem is getting into shape ,shedding weight. Not used to working is how you got fat in the first place.

Glenn will play at 325 (his weight as a Junior). He was asked to go up to 345 as a senior, so he can just as easily drop those pounds...

LOL! They showed one positional drill where a guy got an inside move on him. The next play, he stonewalled him. The thing is, the inside move was where the LG would be.

Seen the thread about that not being Glenn who got beat in that video?

That wasn't him getting smoked in the video. It was Allen from Illinois. The next clip they showed(with a different number) of proper anchoring and leverage was Glenn.

Glenn will play at 325 (his weight as a Junior). He was asked to go up to 345 as a senior, so he can just as easily drop those pounds...

Yep. He did it before, he can do it again.

Seen the thread about that not being Glenn who got beat in that video?

Sure did, and I posted in it. I said it was incredibly amateurish of NFLN.

The very best talent evaluators in the world are wrong more than 50% of the time. What do you people expect. Mayock is very good overall.

I'll answer this as one of "you people". What do I expect? I expect fans to not take the prognistications of media "experts" too seriously as is happening some here.

Mayock may be very good overall, but he gets it wrong at least 50% of the time; to diss off a top quality pick because Mayock doesn't like it is as silly as to go all apesh*t over a pick *cough* Gabbert *cough* Claussen *cough* because Mayock blesses it.

It's also stupid to diss off picks because "historically the Bills got it wrong". There's a new Sheriff in town, boys, with a new class of deputies this year. Either we've fixed our scouting department, or we haven't.

If we have, we can trust them to make at least as good picks as the "experts" like Mayock. If we haven't, overall we've still got big problems at talent acquisition.

I'm not nearly as upset at a "reach" pick in Rd 3 as I was back in the Whitner/Maybin days when we were reaching in Round 1 and 2. Obviously the Bills saw weighted some factors that I'm sure everyone saw in Graham *cough* speed *cough* agility *cough*, differently than the experts. Equally obviously, they had reason to think another team saw him the same way so grabbed him when the could. Odds are that team was very likely the Jags. Punter in Rd 3? Seriously?