LB Kuechly and QB Osweiler at One Bills Drive today.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/LB-Kuechly-QB-Osweiler-the-last-pre-draft-visitors/65c75215-2466-4582-9691-c1fc214f79fc

So with those names, the following individuals have visited One Bills Drive this offseason:

Ohio State offensive tackle Mike Adams (4/4).

Alabama safety Mark Barron (4/16).

Oklahoma State receiver Justin Blackmon (4/?).

Clemson defensive end Andre Branch (3/29).

TCU linebacker Tank Carder (4/2).

Michigan State quarterback Kirk Cousins (3/31).

Mississippi State defensive tackle Fletcher Cox (4/17).

Oklahoma cornerback Jamell Fleming (4/17).

South Carolina cornerback Stephon Gilmore (4/17).

Georgia tackle/guard Cordy Glenn (3/?).

Alabama linebacker Dont’a Hightower (?/?).

South Carolina defensive end Melvin Ingram (4/17).

West Virginia linebacker Bruce Irvin (?/?).

Syracuse defensive end Chandler Jones (4/4).

USC offensive tackle Matt Kalil (4/5).

Alabama cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick (4/5).

Stanford offensive tackle Jonathan Martin (?/?).

Boise State linebacker Shea McClellin (4/16).

Illinois defensive end Whitney Mercilus (?/?).

Arizona State quarterback Brock Osweiler (4/18).

Boston College linebacker Luke Kuechly (4/18)

Appalachian State receiver Brian Quick (?/?).

Alabama running back Trent Richardson (4/4).

Central Florida cornerback Josh Robinson (4/16).

Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill (4/17).

Wisconsin quarterback Russell Wilson (4/4).

That's 26 names announced out of 30. Bills posted on their website today though that Osweiller and Kuechly are the last of the pre draft visits which begs the question...who are the unannounced 4 that pushes the Bills to 30?

Kuechly is still my sleeper pick. He'd soldify our front seven for sure. Otherwise I like zach brown in the second round. His coverage ability would be huge when to play gronkowski and hernandez.

Agreed, I'm hoping that it's Kuechly as well. I don't follow college football outside of a little research before the NFL draft but from what I've read around these parts, he sounds like the most surefire impact player coming out of the gate.

Here’s the full pre-draft visit list for the Bills including today’s visitors, LB Luke Kuechly and QB Brock Osweiler.

WR Justin Blackmon – Oklahoma State

OL James Brown – Troy

DE Vinny Curry – Marshall

DE Olivier Vernon – Miami

CB Morris Claiborne – LSU

QB Kirk Cousins – Michigan St.

OL Cordy Glenn – Georgia

OLB/DE Bruce Irvin – West Virginia

LB Dont’a Hightower – Alabama

OT Jonathan Martin – Stanford

S De’Quan Menzie – Alabama

DE/OLB Whitney Mercilus – Illinois

WR Brian Quick – Appalachian St.

OT Matt Kalil – USC

CB Dre’ Kirkpatrick – Alabama

LB Tank Carder – TCU

OT Mike Adams – Ohio State

DE Chandler Jones – Syracuse

RB Trent Richardson – Alabama

QB Russell Wilson – Wisconsin

S Mark Barron – Alabama

DE/OLB Shea McClellin – Boise St.

CB Josh Robinson – Central Florida

DT Fletcher Cox – Mississippi St.

CB Stephon Gilmore – South Carolina

QB Ryan Tannehill – Texas A&M

DE/OLB Melvin Ingram – South Carolina

CB Jamell Fleming – Oklahoma

LB Luke Kuechly – Boston College

QB Brock Osweiler – Arizona State

About half of the 30 prospects that visited (16) have been widely projected as first round picks. The ones most frequently appearing in the top 10 in mock drafts have been Cox, Ingram, Richardson, Kalil, Blackmon and Claiborne.

What this visit list shows is how the Bills really do consider every single one of their possible options as it pertains to their pick on the board.

My link

I want Kuechly or Floyd. 532 tackles in 3 seasons is ridiculous, I don't care who you are. Crazy good instincts and a nose for sniffing out the ball.

It says that Kuechly and Osweiler were the last of the visits to One Bills Drive which means there is zero chance the Bills are considering picking Floyd. It tells me he's officially off their board.

Whether it's the character issues or if they just don't feel that he's the deep threat they want opposite Johnson, I think any talk of the Bills picking Floyd is folly from this point forward.

Woo hoo! I was worried the bills weren't interested in him at all.. I'm glad they're doing their due diligence. Now I trust them to make the right pick

(Speaking about Kuechly)

Edited by Billsrhody

It says that Kuechly and Osweiler were the last of the visits to One Bills Drive which means there is zero chance the Bills are considering picking Floyd. It tells me he's officially off their board.

Whether it's the character issues or if they just don't feel that he's the deep threat they want opposite Johnson, I think any talk of the Bills picking Floyd is folly from this point forward.

Or maybe they saw everything they needed to see on film and at the combine... And could still pick him.

Or maybe they saw everything they needed to see on film and at the combine... And could still pick him.

For a guy with well documented character concerns, that would be an insane thing for a GM to do at pick #10. Nix brought in both Spiller and Dareus for pre-draft visits and neither on of them had such issues.

You're obviously free to believe what you want, but it's clear to me that Nix is not interested in Floyd. I stand by my zero chance prediction.

Edited by 1billsfan

While I agree that they probably won't pick Floyd because he did not make a visit to OBD, W.C. is right for pointing out that they might have gotten everything they need from him from the Combine. We can't rule anything 100% out until the pick is come and gone. Until then, I say there is a 15% chance we draft Floyd.

For a guy with well documented character concerns, that would be an insane thing for a GM to do at pick #10. Nix brought in both Spiller and Dareus for pre-draft visits and neither on of them had such issues.

You're obviously free to believe what you want, but it's clear to me that Nix is not interested in Floyd. I stand by my zero chance prediction.

Cmon, the guy got a DWI. It's not like he is Vontaze Burfict. Its college, people drink... a lot. His senior season he moved back on campus and was a model citizen. He made a poor decision, lets not crufify him over it.

They wouldn't want to take a look at Riley Reiff, the likely top rated available player (consensus-wise) at the biggest position of need?

It's entirely possible that the Bills are not going to draft Floyd. To me, however, considering that reality of what he did to get the character issue status, it would far more likely to bring him in and talk to him to see if it is an issue than it would be to just take him off their consideration list because of it.

Maybe there is other stuff we don't know about. But I think the Bills will still very strongly consider Michael Floyd as well as Riley Reiff in the draft as possible #10 selections.

Cmon, the guy got a DWI. It's not like he is Vontaze Burfict. Its college, people drink... a lot. His senior season he moved back on campus and was a model citizen. He made a poor decision, lets not crufify him over it.

He actually made THREE poor decisions related to alcohol. I think it's the repeat offender thing that's the issue to Nix. Maybe the third time was the wake-up call he needed, and the past year is what you'll get from him for the rest of his career. But Floyd doesn't have Calvin Johnson elite talent, and there are a lot of talented WR's who will be available later in the draft. This is probably Nix's thinking here: the reward doesn't justify the massive risk at #10.

Reiff is a much more interesting case to me. I am of the same opinion as others around here that Nix won't burn a #10 pick on someone he doesn't interview (Luck and Griffin as the lone exceptions). So it's very possible Buddy has Reiff ranked lower than both Martin and Glenn for the LT position. Even so...why not have an interview just to make sure?

So anyone want to predict who the top 10 are on Buddy's draft board? I'll take a guess:

Luck, Griffin, Kalil, Claiborne, Richardson, Blackmon, Kuechly, Kirkpatrick, Gilmore, Martin

He actually made THREE poor decisions related to alcohol. I think it's the repeat offender thing that's the issue to Nix. Maybe the third time was the wake-up call he needed, and the past year is what you'll get from him for the rest of his career. But Floyd doesn't have Calvin Johnson elite talent, and there are a lot of talented WR's who will be available later in the draft. This is probably Nix's thinking here: the reward doesn't justify the massive risk at #10.

Reiff is a much more interesting case to me. I am of the same opinion as others around here that Nix won't burn a #10 pick on someone he doesn't interview (Luck and Griffin as the lone exceptions). So it's very possible Buddy has Reiff ranked lower than both Martin and Glenn for the LT position. Even so...why not have an interview just to make sure?

So anyone want to predict who the top 10 are on Buddy's draft board? I'll take a guess:

Luck, Griffin, Kalil, Claiborne, Richardson, Blackmon, Kuechly, Kirkpatrick, Gilmore, Martin

OH MY GOD, A COLLEGE KID GETTING CAUGHT FOR UNDERAGE DRINKING. WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO?

95% of college freshman are under 21 and I would be willing to bet that a very good percentage of them are out drinking regularly during their freshman year. The drinking age should be 18. If you are old enough to vote and old enough to die for your country, you are old enough to drink cheap beer and dollar drinks.

Seriously, I could care less about this issue with regard to Floyd. The Bills will do their due diligence. If they interview him and research him and decide that alcohol is not an issue for him and they decide to take him, that is fine with me. (and just a reminder, the greatest players in the history of our team (kelly, reed, bennett, talley, smith, etc) liked to indulge every now and again)

Edited by Maddog69

Also, Blackmon got arrested for a DUI after leaving the state during a game week, drinking underage while driving 92 mph. And the Bills brought him in for a visit. If the Bills were going to just disqualify players off their draft lists, that is just as bad as Floyd's DWI considering the speed he was going and the coach didn't know anything about him taking the trip.

Like the list a lot and happy Reiff and Upshaw aren't on the list of visits but I am surprised Reuben Randle isn't on the list (unless i missed something) I thought earlier some post had him visiting and I really like him a lot if he or Stephen Hill (who I'm assuming Gailey has enough info on) is there in the 2nd...Hopefully we can trade down a few spots and pick either Gilmore, Kuechly, Hightower, Glenn (and if we trade further down I'm ok with Martin or Adams)...

Crazy good instincts and a nose for sniffing out the ball.

Depends on where you make the tackle--at the LOS or five yards downfield. London Fletcher was a tackling machine, but not too many people ever considered him a differece maker...

Edited by Lurker

They wouldn't want to take a look at Riley Reiff, the likely top rated available player (consensus-wise) at the biggest position of need?

It's entirely possible that the Bills are not going to draft Floyd. To me, however, considering that reality of what he did to get the character issue status, it would far more likely to bring him in and talk to him to see if it is an issue than it would be to just take him off their consideration list because of it.

Maybe there is other stuff we don't know about. But I think the Bills will still very strongly consider Michael Floyd as well as Riley Reiff in the draft as possible #10 selections.

I wonder if Buddy questions the level of competition those guys have faced. We know he's clearly biased toward the SEC, but maybe he's just not that impressed with the Big Ten or ND's 2010 or 2011 strength of schedule...

I wonder if Buddy questions the level of competition those guys have faced. We know he's clearly biased toward the SEC, but maybe he's just not that impressed with the Big Ten or ND's 2010 or 2011 strength of schedule...

He brought in Keuchly, Mike Adams, Jonathan Martin, and Kalil... all of which would be considered at #10 and faced equivalent competition.

OH MY GOD, A COLLEGE KID GETTING CAUGHT FOR UNDERAGE DRINKING. WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO?

95% of college freshman are under 21 and I would be willing to bet that a very good percentage of them are out drinking regularly during their freshman year. The drinking age should be 18. If you are old enough to vote and old enough to die for your country, you are old enough to drink cheap beer and dollar drinks.

Seriously, I could care less about this issue with regard to Floyd. The Bills will do their due diligence. If they interview him and research him and decide that alcohol is not an issue for him and they decide to take him, that is fine with me. (and just a reminder, the greatest players in the history of our team (kelly, reed, bennett, talley, smith, etc) liked to indulge every now and again)

Let's be clear: Floyd wasn't just caught for underage drinking. He was ARRESTED for alcohol-related offenses THREE times, one of which was a DUI and another was a fight.

Personally, I believe in giving people extra chances in life, especially when the mistakes they make are while young. However, I am also not in the business of giving multimillion dollar contracts and risking my own job security on the decision-making maturity of 21-year-olds. I'm not being some uptight teetotaller here; I'm just trying to understand why Nix wouldn't give such a high-profile player at a position of need an interview.

He brought in Keuchly, Mike Adams, Jonathan Martin, and Kalil... all of which would be considered at #10 and faced equivalent competition.

Kalil is clearly a top 5 guy, irrespective of competition. I wonder about Keuchly but give him the benefit of the doubt due to his measureables. Martin and Adams look like guys who could slide to the lower half of Round 1 or (in Adams case) be available at 2.

Something about Reiff and Floyd bugs me. They seem to be locked in to their 10-15 rankings and almost have a press machine vibe going.

Let's be clear: Floyd wasn't just caught for underage drinking. He was ARRESTED for alcohol-related offenses THREE times, one of which was a DUI and another was a fight.

Personally, I believe in giving people extra chances in life, especially when the mistakes they make are while young. However, I am also not in the business of giving multimillion dollar contracts and risking my own job security on the decision-making maturity of 21-year-olds. I'm not being some uptight teetotaller here; I'm just trying to understand why Nix wouldn't give such a high-profile player at a position of need an interview.

^ ^ ^

This.

I hope for a trade down, but if not...Kuechly, Gilmore or Glenn

I'm not being some uptight teetotaller here; I'm just trying to understand why Nix wouldn't give such a high-profile player at a position of need an interview.

Precisely my thinking. And after thinking about it, there are only two possible conclusions. He already determined that Floyd is off his board completely -- OR -- the alcohol related issues have already been discussed and dissected by the Bills and Nix doesn't think they prohibit his selection.

To me, the second choice is more likely than the first, considering the time since the incidents occurred and the actions Floyd has taken. If there were questions of whether Floyd had matured, they would have brought him in. To me, they already talked to him, and they interviewed people in ND and they already know what they need to know about the off the field issues. That is just conjecture though.

Another reason that Kuechly could very well be the pick. Nix likes versatility and this confirms it. Having a guy like that saves a roster spot for another position.

Bills GM Buddy Nix, commented on Boston College LB Luke Kuechly, who is visiting 1 Bills Drive on a pre-draft visit today.

Nix was asked if Kuechly is more than just a middle linebacker.

“He could play all three (LB spots) for us,” said Nix.

The Bills GM also said that the strong side and weak side linebacker positions in Buffalo’s 4-3 defense are relatively similar in terms of skill set.

I like Kuechly, but am worried a bit by his speed. I hope his instincts overcome this perceived deficiency, should we draft him. I would be happy with this pick.

Floyd's interviews make me uneasy.

Kuechly is actually very fast as a linebacker. He was 3rd at the combine this year with a 4.58. For comparison, Rob Grownkowski ran a 4.68 at the combine.

@buffalobills: Nix: 'We feel Chris Hairston can play LT for us. But we have 3 tackles on the roster. That's not enough. We need to pick-up someone'

Makes me think LT might not be first pick...

@buffalobills: Nix: 'We have some speed guys (at WR) but they're unproven. We want another guy & we think it'll help Stevie Johnson's production a lot.'

Precisely my thinking. And after thinking about it, there are only two possible conclusions. He already determined that Floyd is off his board completely -- OR -- the alcohol related issues have already been discussed and dissected by the Bills and Nix doesn't think they prohibit his selection.

To me, the second choice is more likely than the first, considering the time since the incidents occurred and the actions Floyd has taken. If there were questions of whether Floyd had matured, they would have brought him in. To me, they already talked to him, and they interviewed people in ND and they already know what they need to know about the off the field issues. That is just conjecture though.

This line of thinking really doesn't wash though because the Bills brought in Spiller and Dareus for pre-draft visits. Why would they not bring in Floyd who's had three arrests?

The only conclusion is that they they have no intention of drafting him. There are two probable reasons for this...character concerns or he simply isn't the deep "home run" threat they're looking for opposite Johnson.

@buffalobills: Nix: 'We feel Chris Hairston can play LT for us. But we have 3 tackles on the roster. That's not enough. We need to pick-up someone'

Makes me think LT might not be first pick...

@buffalobills: Nix: 'We have some speed guys (at WR) but they're unproven. We want another guy & we think it'll help Stevie Johnson's production a lot.'

Here's the full quote:

“We need tackles, but we think Chris Hairston can play left tackle for us and win,” said Nix. ”People say Fitz gets the ball out quick, but we run our offense with a lot of empty sets, with five blockers and if they bring six he better get it out. In this offense he has to get it out quick. Chris Hairston might not be the prettiest foot athlete that he can protect the back side. We’ve got Pears and Sam Young is coming off of knee surgery. So we’ve only got three. We’d like to have two more.”

Definitely no guarantee of going OT at #10, but this isn't the first time Nix has said they want two more tackles.

Love how everyone proceeds to jump the floyd bandwagon now. He had his problems he's been great since. To me I will truly be disappointed with any other pick at 10. He fills a major need, he's a great player/value, and he could really give us quality depth at w.r

So you aren't disappointed, I hope that Floyd comes off the board before the bills pick. Its time to start thinking about Marcus Easley again!

I would love nothing more than to see these two in a Bills uniform this season. Kuechly is going to be a stud, and everything I've seen on Osweiler (game film, interviews, etc) makes me believe he is the perfect Qb to take the reins from Fitz in a couple of seasons!! Lets make it happen, Buddy!!

Love how everyone proceeds to jump the floyd bandwagon now. He had his problems he's been great since. To me I will truly be disappointed with any other pick at 10. He fills a major need, he's a great player/value, and he could really give us quality depth at w.r

I don't think people are jumping the Floyd bandwagon. I, for one, like him. I think people are just trying to figure out what Buddy is going to do. And now people are thinking it could be Kuechly.

Edited by BEAST MODE BABY!

Kuechly is still my sleeper pick. He'd soldify our front seven for sure. Otherwise I like zach brown in the second round. His coverage ability would be huge when to play gronkowski and hernandez.

Agreed. We need a solid LB. This guy might be that guy!

I get that it could be a sign but some posters confidence in this is amazing. I'd be curious the reaction if they do pick him. Could be he blew them away at the combine, that they had a solid book on him already, aren't tipping their hands etc.... A couple hours one afternoon shouldn't mean thaaaat much.