Is the Bills D ready to make a stand vs. AFC East?

I think we have serious depth issues still, especially at DT and every LB position. If we stay healthy (not likely) I can see us doing ok, middle of the pack probably. If we can't stay healthy, then we'll struggle as usual. Mario Williams props us up a lot, but remember we're essentially bottom dwellers before he got here.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year didnt look to bad at 6 and 2 until the injury bug hit. Now, with a real pass rush that we have now have and a healthy KW the rest of the defense will look much better.

BTW, the team that won the super bowl only had 9 wins!!!

Edited by artmalibu

1333908892[/url]' post='2432808']

Bottom line is the Bills have too many holes to fill to be a legitimate contender in 2012. They can't get enough players in one draft to fill all their needs. Realistically speaking, the Bills will need this year's draft and next years to fill the holes. Look for them to be a contender in 2013, if they draft well this year and next. Let's face the cold hard facts, the Pats are still going to be the class of the AFC east in 2012. The Pats will win the division in 2012 barring any major injuries. Key injuries can change things in a hurry.

Your bottom line, perhaps..

We get your point. The broken record thing is getting old.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mario Williams will make the Bills a lot better, but let's be realistic, not enough to over take the New England Patriots. One player can't transform one of the "joke teams" of the NFL into a contender. The Bills are very, very bad team, it's not like they already have the core nucleus and are a player or two away. The Bills have more holes than

Swiss cheese. They have too many needs to become a contender in one off season. They still need a Left tackle, wide receiver, corner back, two linebackers. You can reasoN. . .

Sir.... I have not posted in a while, but came here just to tell you that IMHO you have eArned the most negAtive post of this offseason, man! you almost made me cry!

Edited by Kent H Jr

I didn't mean to make you cry, I was just stating facts to bring some Bills fans back down to reality. One player doesn't turn a perennial loser into a championship team. It's not basketball where a Michael Jordon can dominate another team. The Bills haven't made the playoffs this entire century. They need a LOT of help.

Let's face it, the Pats are light years ahead of us, we need a lot more talent to catch them. They were one missed catch away from another ring.

The Pats have been good for so long it's sickening. I can't remember when they were bad, I think the last time they were bad the NFL was still using leather helmets.

I didn't mean to make you cry, I was just stating facts to bring some Bills fans back down to reality. One player doesn't turn a perennial loser into a championship team. It's not basketball where a Michael Jordon can dominate another team. The Bills haven't made the playoffs this entire century. They need a LOT of help.

Let's face it, the Pats are light years ahead of us, we need a lot more talent to catch them. They were one missed catch away from another ring.

The Pats have been good for so long it's sickening. I can't remember when they were bad, I think the last time they were bad the NFL was still using leather helmets.

They're so good that even an 11-5 season casn be considered horrendous.

Not that I totally disagree the pats* are better I dont think they are light years better. They were one missed catch away from a ring yes but they were also one missed catch away from not even making the super bowl. Thy beat one team with a winning record last year. They also have shown the formula to be beat namely a pass rush which the bills finally have. Add to that the fact the bills beat them once and were up 21-0 in the second game. The bills also were a Fitz pick away from beating the giants in new (york) jersey.

In football anything can happen and the bills have positioned themselves nicely to make a solid playoff push this year. Every team has holes. New England lacks a d and a deep passing game, the jets and dolphins lack a qb, it's April man cheer up!

Yes but it is more than one. It's Darios having a year of experience, playing inside which is his more natural position, next to Kyle Williams who a year prior went to the pro bowl. It's having Anderson at the other end. On his own while not a great player, coupled with Williams on the other end, makes the whole font four look real strong. Add to that, Shepard, Sercy, and the CB Williams again having a year of experience makes them better. While every team in the league is helped by this, allowing last years rookies and this years to have a full off season, mini camps etc will agai nhelp the Bill's more than a team with much more experienced players. Having guys like Kelsey play in his more natural position again will make him look better. Conversely assuming Merriman is healthy he's being moved to a position and role he's not geared for. But really not much of a lose in my mind as I'm not really expecting much from him. Anything you could get out of Merriman in my mind is gravy.

The big wild card in all of this is injuries. But the fact that they are a bigger team will help some and maybe the odds catch up for once and favor the Bills there with less people getting hurt. Where are the concerns? I think they are still an outside LB and one CB away from being very strong defensively. But a stong pass rush will hide some of this too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mario Williams will make the Bills a lot better, but let's be realistic, not enough to over take the New England Patriots. One player can't transform one of the "joke teams" of the NFL into a contender. The Bills are very, very bad team, it's not like they already have the core nucleus and are a player or two away. The Bills have more holes than Swiss cheese. They have too many needs to become a contender in one off season. They still need a Left tackle, wide receiver, corner back, two linebackers. You can reasonably expect to fill two, or if you are really lucky, maybe three of those needs in one draft. If they have two good drafts, this year and next, they have a really good chance to be contenders in 2013. It's all up to the scouting department and the people making the picks.

I hate to say it but at this point the Pats are still the class of the eastern division. Billy B. has a dynasty over there. I hate him, he is the best in the business.

I liked you better when you were mpl6876.

Bottom line is the Bills have too many holes to fill to be a legitimate contender in 2012. They can't get enough players in one draft to fill all their needs. Realistically speaking, the Bills will need this year's draft and next years to fill the holes. Look for them to be a contender in 2013, if they draft well this year and next. Let's face the cold hard facts, the Pats are still going to be the class of the AFC east in 2012. The Pats will win the division in 2012 barring any major injuries. Key injuries can change things in a hurry.

Here are the cold hard facts

- The pats will not be on top of the AFC East forever....just because they have been winning it....doesnt mean they will continue to

- Key injuries are a killer for ANY team....not just the bills. If Brady goes down. ..the pats are screwed as you said.

- This is not the first draft.....this is draft number THREE under this regime. Holes HAVE been being filled. In all honesty there are not a lot of holes left to be filled....just no DEPTH

Now here is an opinion.....something very bad has happened to the patriots.....the Giants have laid out a blue print in which to beat them....consistantly.

- The offense has to be good enough both through the ground and air in order to not be too one dimensional.....big tall fast wide receivers. The QB has to keep his mistakes down. The offense needs to score at the end of its drives and the drives need to be long enough to keep brady fuming on the sideline.

- The DEFENSE has to be able to get a consistant pass rush with ONLY its down linemen so that it can drop LB's and secondary into coverage......pass rush up the middle especially bothers Brady.....once he gets frustrated he will make mistakes

The bills through the last 2 off seasons and this one....have developed this team. The patriots are going down.

The Bills beat the Patriots in the first game and had a 21 point lead in the second game. Why do you think that they are so much better than us. If the Bills had a 21 point lead this year with our pass rush I think that's pretty damn good. Plus Stevie was out of the game after that lead. :wallbash:

Edited by bisonbrigade

Here are the cold hard facts

- The pats will not be on top of the AFC East forever....just because they have been winning it....doesnt mean they will continue to

- Key injuries are a killer for ANY team....not just the bills. If Brady goes down. ..the pats are screwed as you said.

- This is not the first draft.....this is draft number THREE under this regime. Holes HAVE been being filled. In all honesty there are not a lot of holes left to be filled....just no DEPTH

Now here is an opinion.....something very bad has happened to the patriots.....the Giants have laid out a blue print in which to beat them....consistantly.

- The offense has to be good enough both through the ground and air in order to not be too one dimensional.....big tall fast wide receivers. The QB has to keep his mistakes down. The offense needs to score at the end of its drives and the drives need to be long enough to keep brady fuming on the sideline.

- The DEFENSE has to be able to get a consistant pass rush with ONLY its down linemen so that it can drop LB's and secondary into coverage......pass rush up the middle especially bothers Brady.....once he gets frustrated he will make mistakes

The bills through the last 2 off seasons and this one....have developed this team. The patriots are going down.

This^

Teams know how to beat Brady, now the Bills have copied that. Luckily it works against a lot of teams. The new D coordinator will make a big difference as well

It's not just the addition of one player. Here's why I think the Bills D will be much improved.

1. Injuries. Last year, arguably our best D Linemen, best LB and best CB were all injured. This year, with a complete training camp working with our trainers, we won't be savaged by injuries. Just being healthier (cross our fingers) will make us better.

2. Wanny. Not only is he switching us to a 4-3, he's also simplifying the defense so players can react more quickly and instinctively. As pointed out, he's a Super Bowl winning DC. He'll make some other improvements that we won't anticipate.

3. D Line. The addition of Anderson and especially M. Williams, combined with an improving Dareus and healthy D. Williams makes this line significantly better than last year's line. A better line will make the LB and secondary look better.

4. Draft? It will be interesting to see who the Bills add to the Defense on Draft Weekend.

I disagree with it being the Giants showing how to beat them. I think the Bills and Jets have shown a lot, too.

the Jets used the line to stop the run and their highly skilled backfield to stop the pass. The Jets play the Patriots offense with their LB's who have to outmatch the TE duo to win

The Bills showed that getting to Brady and knocking him up is not hard to do once you clutter his receiving lanes.

For quite a few seasons the Patriots have had their weaknesses exposed, it was just that their strength was outmatched. Given a harder division or the NFC the Patriots would not have made it to the playoffs.

I think what the major need for in this draft (past the 1st round) is depth......we need guys that can step in if a starter goes down and do their job.......

We need linebackers with those 4th round picks that is why Im not to keen on doing any trading up and losing them.......

Basicallly....I could go into the season with the starters I have right now and feel pretty good.....even Hairston. But if we could get a playmaker or a foundation guy with that 1st round pick to help out the current starters....I would feel really good.

- For instance....say we dont go wide receiver with that 1st pick.....I really like Derek Hagan and Clowney.

- Say we dont go corner with that first pick.....McKelvin is in a CONTRACT year so I expect him to magically play better and look out for justin rogers

- I like our starting LB's.....past them? I like Eddins....but we need help there

- Comfortable with Hairston....but dont know much about Sam Young

- We need GOOD BACKUPS