Hidden Gems in 2012 Draft

I'll start: Bryce Brown, RB, take at RD7#199

Tony Pauline was there to cover his Pro Day. Said Pauline:

Bryce Brown, the one-time highly recruited running back who has played for two different schools since 2009, but totaled just 104 combined carries in both seasons, gave scouts a taste of why there were such great expectations around him. Brown ran 40 times which ranged between 4.37 and 4.45 seconds after tipping the scales at 223 pounds. He touched 34 inches on the vertical jump and completed 22 reps on the bench.

Brown started his career at Tennessee in 2009, where he rushed for 460 yards and three touchdowns on 101 carries as a freshman. He transferred to Kansas State to reunite with his brother, linebacker Arthur Brown, a top prospect for the 2013 NFL Draft. Three games and three carries into his Kansas State career Brown left the program. Unlikely to be selected at any point in next month's draft, Brown is sure to get an invitation to camp this summer based on his awesome natural talent.

http://youtu.be/fbaHVnLgYS4

Astro, is the TE from Bama coming out? He is huge, and gets open. He didn't get a lot of plays his way because of the tons of talent on that offense, so his numbers will not indicate his capabilities.

A player like this could be a 4th round gift imo.

Michael Williams is coming out next year. He's #4 right now among TE's. I like that he has experience as DE and TE.

Chris Greenwood CB Albion. Division III player. 6'1" 200 lbs. Check this out "Greenwood, the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association defensive player of the year for Albion, has enjoyed an outstanding month, starting with Michigan's pro day March 15, when he ran a 4.34 40, had a vertical jump of 43 inches and a broad jump of 11-foot-2." http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120330/SPORTS0203/203300337/Albion-cornerback-has-NFL-s-attention?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE

1. Iowa WR Marvin McNutt

Can go as high as 3. Maybe as low as 5-6 in some scouting reports. I watched a few games - possesses about the same size as Stevie Johnson 6'2 216 lbs. Doesn't have incredible speed (4.54) but has extremely reliable hands. Check him out here

2. George CB Brandon Boykin

Maybe not a hidden gem... but man... this would be incredible value if he drops to the 3rd round. I want this guy. A smaller CB at 5'9 and 182 lbs - runs a 4.4. Versatile Cb that can play defense and special teams... even OFFENSE! Not a physical corner but has very fluid hips. Check him out here

3. Oklahoma State T Levy Adcock

A big tackle (6'5 / 322) that didn't allow a sack in 2010. Plays with more speed than strength - plays too high and sometimes struggles with bullrushers. Handles speed rushers easily. Could be had in the 6th round possibly. Definitely a "development" player kind of like D. Bell a few years back. Watch any Brandon Weeden video on youtube and watch the left tackle.

Edited by Frostbelt City

I've harped on them several times but they are later round projections so I'll put them here too.

1. DeQuan Menzie - CB alabama - played opposite of Kirkpatrick, tested often and held up well.

2. Nate Potter - LT Boise - some strength concerns but agile and projected to be able to handle the left side.

I like Jamie Blatnick from Ok. St. in the middle rounds. Strong as an ox, quick off the snap, and uses his hands well. He handled Jonathan Martin in the Bowl game. He faired better than even the beloved Nick Perry. He only moved into the lineup fulltime this year as a starter, but he reminds me of Jason Babin.

1. Iowa WR Marvin McNutt

Can go as high as 3. Maybe as low as 5-6 in some scouting reports. I watched a few games - possesses about the same size as Stevie Johnson 6'2 216 lbs. Doesn't have incredible speed (4.54) but has extremely reliable hands. Check him out here

3.Oklahoma State T Levy Adcock

A big tackle (6'5 / 322) that didn't allow a sack in 2010. Plays with more speed than strength - plays too high and sometimes struggles with bullrushers. Handles speed rushers easily. Could be had in the 6th round possibly. Definitely a "development" player kind of like D. Bell a few years back. Watch any Brandon Weeden video on youtube and watch the left tackle.

I have thought for a long time that if McNutt is there in the 4th we should grab him. Great hands and a lot of upsides and a great value in the 4th. A no brainer if he is still there in the 5th.

No matter who we choose ahead of him at tackle Adcock at 5th or higher would be a good project for depth at tackle if he is willing to work hard on his form, his strength and balance. No expectations of starting this year but we need to prepare players for the protection for our QB of the future that we draft in the next two years.

Edited by simpleman

3. Oklahoma State T Levy Adcock

We cut our Wang, so we need to Adcock?

Sorry, sorry, sorry....no I'm not :devil:

Taylor Thonpson, was a pretty good DE at 6'6" 280 but now has dropped 20 Lbs and is being considered a 3rd rnd TE do to his Athleticism.

"SMU’s Thompson impresses at tight end

Gil Brandt

SMU’s pro day was held Wednesday on a beautiful day — about 85 degrees, with little to no wind. Twenty-five NFL teams were present, including the tight ends coaches from Dallas, Jacksonville and Baltimore.

Taylor Thompson (6-foot-5 7/8, 259 pounds) is an interesting case: He’s been a defensive end at SMU and a receiver in high school. He ran 4.59 and 4.56 in the 40, had a 37-inch vertical leap, a 10-6 long jump, 4.41 in the short shuttle, 7.40 in the three-cone, and 22 strength reps.

Thompson had an outstanding workout. He caught the ball really well, moves really well, and probably went from an undrafted free agent to a bottom-third-, top-fourth-round type of guy. He’s just a really good athlete who projects in my top 100.

SMU’s workout on Wednesday was the last of the FBS pro days."

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/04/05/smus-thompson-impresses-at-tight-end/

I'll start: Bryce Brown, RB, take at RD7#199

Tony Pauline was there to cover his Pro Day. Said Pauline:

http://youtu.be/fbaHVnLgYS4

Just basing my opinions of Brown on that video here but he doesn't seem too special. More of a 1 cut back with out much wiggle. I think in the right system that is effective. I did like his power somewhat.

Good post. Thanks.

I only question the wisdom of introducing Adcock, an offensive lineman, to this board.

Check the sig :D

Not sure if either are "hidden" but I like Audie Cole, LB from NC State. Can and has played all LB positions. Led the team in tackles (108) and had 5.5 sacks and 4 forced fumbles. HARD hitter who can punish any RB who makes it past our D-line, or the NE TE's. Got bored during high school and took up boxing. Only thing that prevents him from going high in the draft is his relatively slow combine speed.

Edited by RyanC883

Not sure if either are "hidden" but I like Audie Cole, LB from NC State. Can and has played all LB positions. Led the team in tackles (108) and had 5.5 sacks and 4 forced fumbles. HARD hitter who can punish any RB who makes it past our D-line, or the NE TE's. Got bored during high school and took up boxing. Only thing that prevents him from going high in the draft is his relatively slow combine speed.

That's why he's in my sig, that's what I like about the combine, it allows really good players to drop down because they aren't "great" athletes.

That's why he's in my sig, that's what I like about the combine, it allows really good players to drop down because they aren't "great" athletes.

I haven't watched Audie Cole's videos yet but from the early info you and others have provided it seems like he might be a better fit in a 3-4 with his good size and less mobility.

Remembering Wanny's defenses of past along with the ways he's described his philosophy lately, it seems like the Bills will generally be targeting (and this might make some of you unhappy) faster and as a result, smaller LBs.

Just a thought.

• 1 month later...