Bills Re-Sign Choice

Stevie Johnson ‏ @StevieJohnson13

Close

Glad Bills re-signed @tchoice23. He's got a Great Attitude during practice, games, locker room, and throughout the season last year. #Bills

https://twitter.com/#!/StevieJohnson13

Nice depth and a capable fill-in; I'm sure the Bills didn't break the bank for him, if true. Another solid move by this front office. Good job, Buddy.

Nice depth and a capable fill-in; I'm sure the Bills didn't break the bank for him, if true. Another solid move by this front office. Good job, Buddy.

Honestly I was never impressed with choice. He was a very overrated talent coming out of college. As a 3rd string RB, I'm ok with the Bills resigning him.

What about Johnny White?

Johnny White did nothing to impress me last year.

If we're going to carry a 4th RB/special teamer I'd prefer a big, physical battering ram (not a guy who gets a concussion while being rag-dolled by a linebacker).

As for Tashard Choice, if he keeps Spiller on the bench again in passing sets, I might blow my brains out.

How a guy like Spiller is not a part of 3rd down packages is enough to make me question Gailey's offensive acumen… that and his comic/tragic over-reliance on the passing game last year.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

If we're going to carry a 4th RB/special teamer I'd prefer a big, physical battering ram (not a guy who gets a concussion while being rag-dolled by a linebacker).

As for Tashard Choice, if he keeps Spiller on the bench again in passing sets, I might blow my brains out.

How a guy like Spiller is not a part of 3rd down packages is enough to make me question Gailey's offensive acumen… that and his comic/tragic over-reliance on the passing game last year.

I'll admit I don't remember seeing much of White last year, so I was curious as to what others thought of him. We don't really need a 4th RB/special teamer anyway, but if we want that and think we can upgrade on Day 3, go for it then.

Probably becuase Spiller isnt a very good Pass Blocker, and with all the issues with the line, they needed to protect the QB.

Honestly I was never impressed with choice. He was a very overrated talent coming out of college. As a 3rd string RB, I'm ok with the Bills resigning him.

Choice was solid IMO. Had a dropped pass vs Miami but mostly capable. He fills a need for us.

PTR

I agree so much with this, I want them to draft Stanfords TE and copy NE*s 2TE set on 3rd downs. Even put CJ and FJ in the backfield together. No more 4 (or even 5 wide) to get 3 yards and handing off to Choice (please Chan).

As for Tashard Choice, if he keeps Spiller on the bench again in passing sets, I might blow my brains out. How a guy like Spiller is not a part of 3rd down packages is enough to make me question Gailey's offensive acumen… that and his comic/tragic over-reliance on the passing game last year.

Once Spiller showed what he could truly do, after Freddie's injury, I don't think there's anything to worry about here.

Choice was solid IMO. Had a dropped pass vs Miami but mostly capable. He fills a need for us.

PTR

Agreed, Promo. He's the THIRD RB. By all accounts he's a solid locker room guy, Chan & Buddy like him, and he fills a need. Again, solid depth. I can't believe that anyone would actually be Jonesing over re-signing him as veteran insurance. I guess things are looking up if this all we have to B word about these days.

?

Sorry, it was in response to Astro's post that this gave them a third RB and so they'd probably draft someone. I agree that White didn't show much either in preseason last year or during the season, but he also didn't have much of an opportunity to do so and I would like for him to have another chance before using a draft choice on another RB.

Edited by Carey Bender

I had some hopes for Johnny White and liked the selection and he did nothing to impress me at all. Was very disappointed as he seemed overmatched by the strength and speed of the game. I wouldn't completely give up on him but he looked bad.

I didn't really care for Choice much but as a #3 insurance back he is fine. And if he has a great attitude on the bench and in the locker room as SJ says, all the better. What I did not like at all was Chan's decision to use Choice over Spiller too long, especially in the red zone. It worked a little but got stuffed more often than not. When Spiller was in, he waltzed right into the endzone. Chan said it was all about packages but I didn't like it myself, and thought he relied too much on a guy he knew well, but Spiller was hot and he should have rode the hot hand.

I'm sure Choice signed for veteran minimum and he will battle White for the #3 job. It's also a little insurance if the unthinkable but possible happens: Freddy is offended by the offer that the Bills make for his extension, and decides to sit out awhile. He was very pissed in pre-season last year, I know that for sure.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Stevie Johnson ‏ @StevieJohnson13

Close

Glad Bills re-signed @tchoice23. He's got a Great Attitude during practice, games, locker room, and throughout the season last year. #Bills

https://twitter.com/#!/StevieJohnson13

After seeing him run last year I said to myself this guy is damn good. Too good for 3rd string at least which led me to believe after finding out he was a FA this year that there was no way in hell we can afford him. But Buddy works his magic again. I have a feeling Choice could have made more money elsewhere but chose (choice made a choice. Not funny? Ok moving on) the Bills cuz he knows we might be on the verge of something special this year and probably wanted to be a part of it. In saying that and if it were to be the case, then I love the guy even more.

I guess that means I would like to replace Johnny White with a physical, battering ram who can play special teams.

We have McIntyre for that.

FJ said that Buddy told him he would be taken care of before the (pre?)season starts, but the priority now is to sign people who are NOT on contract. The deal will get done.

And people thought Payton Manning would retire as a Colt stranger things have happened..... I am just saying I hope they do take care of him and not trade him.

FJ said that Buddy told him he would be taken care of before the (pre?)season starts, but the priority now is to sign people who are NOT on contract. The deal will get done.

I believe in buddy 100%. He said he would take care of Freddy and he will. Just imagine though if there's only a little wiggle room left to reconstruct his contract especially how we've been spending this offseason. The conversation would go something like this (words in parenthesis will be how we would pronounce the word)

Buddy Nix - Ha (hi). Freddy nah (now) I promised yewww (you) we would take care a ya bee four the season. With all the sighnings we've made, we just don't have that much left to give yewww.

Fred Jackson - Yea I don't know about that Buddy. You gave me your word man.

BN - Ah no ah no (I know I know). Tah (to) be honest wit cha, I ain't about thought this thang would end up like this Freddeh.

FJ - Well you know what F U buddy. F U...

He'll be taken care of though so no worries. Buddy's a man of his word.

PTR

Exactly. He is our 3rd RB who averages about 3 yards a carry over his carrier, can block, and catch out of the backfield. I don't think there are many other, if any other, teams that match our RB depth.

I believe in buddy 100%. He said he would take care of Freddy and he will. Just imagine though if there's only a little wiggle room left to reconstruct his contract especially how we've been spending this offseason. The conversation would go something like this (words in parenthesis will be how we would pronounce the word)

Buddy Nix - Ha (hi). Freddy nah (now) I promised yewww (you) we would take care a ya bee four the season. With all the sighnings we've made, we just don't have that much left to give yewww.

BN - Ah no ah no (I know I know). Tah (to) be honest wit cha, I ain't about thought this thang would end up like this Freddeh.

Nix wants to take care of him bad. And Freddy and his agent want to re-sign with the Bills bad. But there is a chance that the offer the Bills make, not negotiated by Nix, will not come close to what Jackson and his agent are asking for. The Bills have already once told him something that he did not like about his possible extension, that just because you signed a bad contract before doesn't mean we owe you any more money.

Personally, I think it will work out, especially the way the team has been throwing around money lately. But it's possible the offer will offend him.

Riveting dialogue. Are you a screenwriter by trade?

I see Freddie being productive for 2 maybe 3 more seasons. Spiller and Choice are young and if we can give FJ the load of carries and keep 2 fresh, young, talents RBs in the organization after FJ is done, we can secure that position for the long haul. I think this is a very good move.

I had some hopes for Johnny White and liked the selection and he did nothing to impress me at all. Was very disappointed as he seemed overmatched by the strength and speed of the game. I wouldn't completely give up on him but he looked bad.

I didn't really care for Choice much but as a #3 insurance back he is fine. And if he has a great attitude on the bench and in the locker room as SJ says, all the better. What I did not like at all was Chan's decision to use Choice over Spiller too long, especially in the red zone. It worked a little but got stuffed more often than not. When Spiller was in, he waltzed right into the endzone. Chan said it was all about packages but I didn't like it myself, and thought he relied too much on a guy he knew well, but Spiller was hot and he should have rode the hot hand.

I'm sure Choice signed for veteran minimum and he will battle White for the #3 job. It's also a little insurance if the unthinkable but possible happens: Freddy is offended by the offer that the Bills make for his extension, and decides to sit out awhile. He was very pissed in pre-season last year, I know that for sure.

Thats Chan....I like him but he is a stubborn SOB, If he wants to pass he will pass, regardless if our WR corps are depleted and the running game is working, If he wants Choice to get the ball Choice is going to get he ball even if Spillers picking up yards. Same with the 3-4 defense, he thought it provided more problems with the defense, so we ran a 3-4 until we where beat back to the 4-3.

Thats Chan....I like him but he is a stubborn SOB, If he wants to pass he will pass, regardless if our WR corps are depleted and the running game is working, If he wants Choice to get the ball Choice is going to get he ball even if Spillers picking up yards. Same with the 3-4 defense, he thought it provided more problems with the defense, so we ran a 3-4 until we where beat back to the 4-3.

First of all, even though he hired Edwards who ran the 3-4, and he thought 3-4s gave his offense more problems, he stayed away from the defensive system. Edwards ran the defense and made all decisions on when we played a 3-4 or 4-3 and we played a 4-3 more than a 3-4 last year, for several reasons. That was not Chan.

Secondly, Chan is sometimes extremely open, malleable and very willing to change on the fly, and sometimes stubborn, like most good coaches. He is rarely stubborn beyond reason. He was pass happy last year mostly because he knew the pass set up the run in the spread, he knew our defense couldn't stop anyone so we had to put up a lot of points to have a chance to win. I am not sticking up for him just to stick up for him, and there were all kinds of times I didn't like the play calling. But to say he is a stubborn SOB, to me, is not accurate at all. He molds his choices around his available players and changes them all the time. I did not like his choice on Choice though at all.