Barnett Shares some insight on Bills Next move maybe

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/03/16/barnett-unit-has-to-jell-and-grow/

He speaks about adding Dept to the Offense...( i think We go offense in the Draft)

Chan said on Sirius yesterday "we have a ton of defensive tackles." I think that is telling. I think that means we go CB on defense, if anything. We have Morrison, and plenty of LB's. We have the safety's locked up, and hopefully resign Scott, as he should be our priority.

On offense we have many needs, and I expect WR to be addressed earliest because I feel we will resign Bell in the next week.

Chan said on Sirius yesterday "we have a ton of defensive tackles." I think that is telling. I think that means we go CB on defense, if anything. We have Morrison, and plenty of LB's. We have the safety's locked up, and hopefully resign Scott, as he should be our priority.

On offense we have many needs, and I expect WR to be addressed earliest because I feel we will resign Bell in the next week.

We do have a bunch of DTs as Dareus, Kyle, Spencer Johnson and Heard look like a very strong rotation there. I hope we re-sign Bell also. The Cardinals re-signed Levi Brown and they were the only team I heard having interest in him, so maybe he'll come back to us. If we don't get Bell I have to think we go LT at #10.

I'm not sure I can agree we have plenty of linebackers-- I think guys like Moats and especially Batten fit better at DE in a 4-3. Morrison is solid but a questionable opening day starter, and there are even more questions about Sheppard. I just don't know where the linebacking help can come from as there aren't a ton of options in free agency or at the top of the draft board.

We do have a bunch of DTs as Dareus, Kyle, Spencer Johnson and Heard look like a very strong rotation there. I hope we re-sign Bell also. The Cardinals re-signed Levi Brown and they were the only team I heard having interest in him, so maybe he'll come back to us. If we don't get Bell I have to think we go LT at #10.

I'm not sure I can agree we have plenty of linebackers-- I think guys like Moats and especially Batten fit better at DE in a 4-3. Morrison is solid but a questionable opening day starter, and there are even more questions about Sheppard. I just don't know where the linebacking help can come from as there aren't a ton of options in free agency or at the top of the draft board.

A rock solid, damn near perfect front 4 will really help out with our LB's. The only upgrade I worry about with our LB's is getting someone who can cover NE's TE's because I see that as the only real issue but we can play base nickel and use Scott....if we resign him.

LB corp is WEAK sauce behind the starters

they love Morrison in the 4-3, so they are sold on him being starting OLB, along with Barnett and Shep (kind of a question mark but I think he will turn out to be a solid ILB) - but after that...we have ZERO depth behind that, Batten and Moats are DEs and suck at that anyway, simply special teamers, we need to add through FA and draft for LB depth/future

Not sure where the questions about Shep are coming from ... the coaching staff has clearly stated he is our starting MLB. His play last season earned it ... and after a rookie year only more is possible.

Moats is an unknown ... don't think he has the right size for a DE but he may not fit in a 4-3 either.

they love Morrison in the 4-3, so they are sold on him being starting OLB, along with Barnett and Shep (kind of a question mark but I think he will turn out to be a solid ILB) - but after that...we have ZERO depth behind that, Batten and Moats are DEs and suck at that anyway, simply special teamers, we need to add through FA and draft for LB depth/future

I'm feeling the same way about our LBs. I imagine we'll see some mid/low tier guys get signed at some point.

You guys seem to be forgetting that Moats played SAM LB in the last half of 2010 (his rookie year) after the Bills went back to primarily playing a 4-3. I thought he played very well there and ESPN even did a short piece on him being an up-and-coming player that they thought would really start to produce. Then the Bills went to a 3-4 [again] and moved Moats inside for reasons no one can fathom, before moving him back outside where he played well again. I think he will be just fine as a strong side backer who can also rush on passing downs.

Merriman will be a DE – I heard that reported anyways. I doubt the Bills rely on him full time, he will be in pass rushing sub packages is my guess. But, he also played very well at LB last year when we used 4 down lineman. He could play either position depending on where the team needs him.

Batten will be an end.

Barnett/Shep/Merriman/Moats/Morrison/White – the Bills are pretty good numbers wise. Besides, the nickel CB is on the field more often than the 3rd LB, and we like to use a 3rd safety in lieu of a 3rd LB a lot too. You don’t need three good LBs these days.

Well...We'll see...

I agree 100% The Bills need Depth at LB...But a lot of this depends on Merriman, his health, and his quickness...If he's back and fairly healthy, Merriman will fill a role as a 3rd Down OLB/DE at the very least...But that does not mean he can't be a BIG help on base downs in a 4-3...It all depends on his health...I think a younger Shawne Merriman could have played just about any LB Position in a 3-4 or a 4-3...He was that good...Now?...Who knows? I think Batten is a REAL bad fit for a 4-3 unless he can move inside...And that's a major projection...Moats at least has a little more experience moving around...But that's not saying much...

Anyway...The top 3 look to be Morrison, Shep, and Barnett for now...I think The Bills will look to add a bargain UFA, and at least one Draft Pick at LB...Then, like last year, they'll hold out hope that Merriman turns back to "Light's Out." B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

You guys seem to be forgetting that Moats played SAM LB in the last half of 2010 (his rookie year) after the Bills went back to primarily playing a 4-3. I thought he played very well there and ESPN even did a short piece on him being an up-and-coming player that they thought would really start to produce. Then the Bills went to a 3-4 [again] and moved Moats inside for reasons no one can fathom, before moving him back outside where he played well again. I think he will be just fine as a strong side backer who can also rush on passing downs.

Merriman will be a DE – I heard that reported anyways. I doubt the Bills rely on him full time, he will be in pass rushing sub packages is my guess. But, he also played very well at LB last year when we used 4 down lineman. He could play either position depending on where the team needs him.

Batten will be an end.

Barnett/Shep/Merriman/Moats/Morrison/White – the Bills are pretty good numbers wise. Besides, the nickel CB is on the field more often than the 3rd LB, and we like to use a 3rd safety in lieu of a 3rd LB a lot too. You don’t need three good LBs these days.

What he said. One of the biggest pet peeves I have with this board is that no one understands the roles of the LB's in all the different schemes and packages. An OLB is not just an OLB. There are like 9 sufferer types of LB's. On some teams Bryan Scott would be an LB. We need to retain him just for the Patriots alone.

A rock solid, damn near perfect front 4 will really help out with our LB's. The only upgrade I worry about with our LB's is getting someone who can cover NE's TE's because I see that as the only real issue but we can play base nickel and use Scott....if we resign him.

What linebackers do you think are capable of covering them consistently in the league? A pass rush is the best way to shut them down.

Batten will be an end.

I agree with this. I think we have ok starters and depth at LB. I think we have 4 areas to address with draft-

1 LT Lets resign Bell. If he resigns, we can use top picks to address other needs. If not LT is our biggest draft need IMO

2 WR Nelson is good but not #2. It would be nice to get a starting WR in this draft

3 CB- I don't like Florence and would love to see upgrade

4 Pass rush We can never have too many pass rushers. Ingram would be great selection. A healthy Schobel would be a great addition.

I agree with this. I think we have ok starters and depth at LB. I think we have 4 areas to address with draft-

1 LT Lets resign Bell. If he resigns, we can use top picks to address other needs. If not LT is our biggest draft need IMO

2 WR Nelson is good but not #2. It would be nice to get a starting WR in this draft

3 CB- I don't like Florence and would love to see upgrade

4 Pass rush We can never have too many pass rushers. Ingram would be great selection. A healthy Schobel would be a great addition.

If Bell is signed, the Bills are truly in a position to get the BPA. We have needs, but we'll be OK at pretty much every position. CB, OL, WR. Just don't reach for a player, is all I wish for in this draft.

The Bills should not overpay for Manningham, which is what I've seen with every WR signing except for Reggie Wayne and Stevie. Glad we didn't get Meachem, seeing what the Chargers paid.

BTW, we have Troup too, so saying a "ton" of DTs is fitting.

Edited by buffaloaggie

What he said. One of the biggest pet peeves I have with this board is that no one understands the roles of the LB's in all the different schemes and packages. An OLB is not just an OLB. There are like 9 sufferer types of LB's. On some teams Bryan Scott would be an LB. We need to retain him just for the Patriots alone.

This may be the smartest post I have ever read on TBD...I think most of us still think of traditional LB roles when talking about a LB lining up and covering TE's. I think we can all rest assured that Morrison will never purposely be covering Gronk downfield. All the more reason to resign or find a replacement for Scott, and use him in combo with Wilson or a bigger CB to cover those TE's.

This may be the smartest post I have ever read on TBD...I think most of us still think of traditional LB roles when talking about a LB lining up and covering TE's. I think we can all rest assured that Morrison will never purposely be covering Gronk downfield. All the more reason to resign or find a replacement for Scott, and use him in combo with Wilson or a bigger CB to cover those TE's.

4-3 (oops)

Sam, covers the TE's usually, must be fast and often times among the strongest and quickest LB of the bunch. This speed is important for coverage of a TE or other downfield target and to get to the RB. He is the teams anchor.

Mike, The defensive play caller is the mop on man in the middle. He has to watch the box to see what is going on in the backfield as/or cover the deep middle if priorities shift or the Tampa2 scheme is changed. He must be big and strong enough to get in the middle of the scrum and make a difference but yet he must be quick enough to cover underneath routes.

Will, is the fastest LB, often the one who can put change speeds and directions quickly having great velocity. His football instincts are usually highly important as he must diagnose plays quickly and adjust to the play before or as it develops getting to players in his zone if neccessary or finding the releasing back or downfield threat to allow coverage to shift. This is highly important when the FS must shift to other zones or is already in deeper coverage.

If we can master this defense this year I will be very happy because I know we have the tools to run it on this team already. I am hopeful George Wilson can adapt and I am a huge fan of his but this is a lot different in my eyes then many of the other changes.

3-4

Sam, Like the 4-3 this LB must cover and maintain a plane which players do not enter his zone. Whether zone defensive scheme or not there is a theoretical zone or region this player is responsible for and as such he must be able to cover it quickly and effectively with speed, agility, vision and quickness. They are hard to find, in my opinion.

Mike, This hardnosed, strong player gets in the middle to take the hits of the OL. He stops the run and watches the backfield. He is in the middle of the scrum often, especially when the DL cannot maintain the OL front.

Will, He is the the guy that will contain the middle and watch the underneath routes that the Patriots love. That we cannot get INT's there pisses me off and exposes we had no good WLB last year. This guy blocks the throwing lanes for the QB, and hopefully be expected the smartest player on the defense as he must diagnose what is going on. He also must be tough enough to fight the middle and help stop a 250lbs brusing FB when needed.

Jack, the hybrid of the new NFL defense, he is 1/2 DE, 1/2 LB, and full time the guy everyone expects to put up the numbers. They do not have to be the huge frames that the other LB's are, nor do they have to be agile or graceful. They must be fast and strong enough to get in the middle of the play. He is a gap control guy that might be used as pass control, too. I often think about Dwight Freeney as this type of role if I could just experiment a little.

This defense is fun but not as useful in the passhappy league we have. Teams don't worry about the rush because it is hard to get to the QB and when you do you get a flag for just pinching him. I am glad we are done with it.

Tampa2,

Mike, must drop in to coverage and move quickly on a Y plane. He must shift to the strongside to cover a TE or WR and this is very important when the SS must double cover a top tier WR. At the same time he has to be able to run up the middle for a run stuffing play. His coverage area is pretty much a Y.

The OLB's in this defense work on a contain basis to hold the flats and shift accordingly for pass coverage. They do not primarily contain the RB's or QB's but they must maintain a line by scraping the DL to pursue the ball.

I really like this defense in many situations for us using Bryan Scott as that safety.

Mike, is a traditional inside LB similar to that of the 4-3.

The OLB's line up on the srong side to mainly cover the down field targets (TE's, Flankers, WR's, RB's on the LOS).

My verdict on this is that the downside is there and it can also cause confusion on running plays but very effective when teams have a weak running game that the front four can control.

An OLB, often time Will, will blitz. If this is on the left side of a right handed QB it is usually favored. If you can get to the QB with the front unit effectively there is a lot less to worry about with the missing CB or SS. This with the 4-6 would be a great package to break out often times during the Patriots games this year.

A very uncommon basic defense that is often used in short yardage situations by simply changing the responsibilities of the defensive players.

Anyway, yeah, I like linebackers even though I played DE.

Edited by jboyst62

Weird thing is I've seen pundits dissing Morrison as a 4-3 Mike, but I have no idea why they think Morrison should be the Mike. I agree with you, as far as I can tell they are planning on Shep for that role and Morrison and Barnett outside.

I think we have a bunch of D guys from that 2010 class who don't really fit the 4-3 and overall haven't shown much yet, but perhaps I'll still be pleasantly surprised. I did have hopes for Moats, I thought he showed flashes.

Two questions I have is whether 2012 draft looks more like 2011 (good class so far) or 2010? And whether the D scheme will "let the dogs out".

I think we were too f***in' cute the last few years with complicated schemes and shifting responsibilities, and it gave our guys vapor lock of the brain, leading to vapor lock of the feet.

Edited by Hopeful

I've been wondering if I were the only one worried about the lack of Bryan Scott signing. I can't blame him for testing the FA market, I do hope we get him back.

Im glad youre beating this drum. I agree completely. You cant put Safeties on those guys, and you cant use LBs. Need a solid tweener like Scott, with some Safety help. He was high on the list of guys I wanted to re-sign too.

Awesome LB post too, btw.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. The LB's are uber weak. Barnett is a good MLB and Sheppard is a solid backup at MLB. Morrison as an OLB is decent. But out side of being solid at MLB and decent at one OLB what the hell do they have at OLB. The other starter at OLB is? and who is backing up both OLB spots?

Even if we go into the second round picking an OLB where is the depth? Moats and Batten would likely be the 8th or 9th LB and one might get cut. We need to at least get another serviceable OLB in free agency and pickup a OLB in the first three rounds as well.

D-line as presently constituted is stacked with depth (Maybe a little weak at DE depth wise) but the OLB's are terrible.