Why Stephen Hill WILL be the pick at number 10.

mob16151

I'm not debating that he is a solid prospect. My point is that people overstate the connection for Ga Tech. They also do it with San Diego. Every player that leaves SD is rumored to come here because of Buddy. Maybe we should start perusing the Pitt players available in the draft since Wanny coached there a while back.

Perhaps, but there is a connection and the Bills are sitting in no mans land at #10. They probably won't have a blue chip player (other than Kuechly ILB or DeCastro OG who play positions that are not thought of as high first rd positions) to pick at that spot and the other potential prospects are all over the place.

Hill's playing at GT and the Chan connection could very well be the deciding factor. If you look at his pro day you will see Buddy Nix and Lovie Smith in almost every frame in the background. I think he's a serious contender even if they don't trade down.

Edited by 1billsfan

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps, but there is a connection and the Bills are sitting in no mans land at #10. They probably won't have a blue chip player (other than Kuechly ILB or DeCastro OG who play positions that are not thought of as high first rd positions) to pick at that spot and the other potential prospects are all over the place.

Hill's playing at GT and the Chan connection could very well be the deciding factor. If you look at his pro day you will see Buddy Nix and Lovie Smith in almost every frame in the background. I think he's a serious contender even if they don't trade down.

I wouldn't be pissed if we got Hill but it would be out of character for Buddy I would say. He could be the best of them all in 3 years. Depending on how we brought him along maybe even year 1.

I wouldn't be pissed if we got Hill but it would be out of character for Buddy I would say. He could be the best of them all in 3 years. Depending on how we brought him along maybe even year 1.

The problem is that according to the "Buddy" rules, there's no one that will be at #10 that he could draft. He's going to have to backtrack on his rules no matter who they take...

ILB or OG? Those aren't top 10 draftable positions in 1st rd.

Martin or Reiff? One isn't strong and the other is a RT.

Floyd? Bad character guy, again that's not Buddy.

Poe, Cox, Brockers? No way he drafts the same position in consecutive 1st rounds.

Ingram or Upshaw? He just gave a ton of money to the DE position.

Kirkpatrick? Buddy probably sees him as a safety. 4.5 is too slow for Buddy at CB.

The problem is that according to the "Buddy" rules, there's no one that will be at #10 that he could draft. He's going to have to backtrack on his rules no matter who they take...

ILB or OG? Those aren't top 10 draftable positions in 1st rd.

Martin or Reiff? One isn't strong and the other is a RT.

Floyd? Bad character guy, again that's not Buddy.

Poe, Cox, Brockers? No way he drafts the same position in consecutive 1st rounds.

Ingram or Upshaw? He just gave a ton of money to the DE position.

Kirkpatrick? Buddy probably sees him as a safety. 4.5 is too slow for Buddy at CB.

There are no steadfast "Buddy rules". He will almost always say things like, "We like a guy who has put up numbers rather than a one year wonder". That doesn't automatically rule out any one year wonder guy, especially if he fits most or all of the other Buddy "likes". At various times, he has said...

He likes big guys.

He likes fast guys.

He likes smart players.

He likes players from big schools who played against top competition.

He likes guys that have produced a few years rather than one year wonders

He likes guys that had production on the field rather than in their underwear at the combine.

He likes tough guys.

He doesn't like to trade up or trade down.

If a player does not fit one or two of those criterion but fits the other 6-7 of them, he would be all over that player.

There are no steadfast "Buddy rules". He will almost always say things like, "We like a guy who has put up numbers rather than a one year wonder". That doesn't automatically rule out any one year wonder guy, especially if he fits most or all of the other Buddy "likes". At various times, he has said...

He likes big guys.

He likes fast guys.

He likes smart players.

He likes guys that had production on the field rather than in their underwear at the combine.

He likes tough guys.

If a player does not fit one or two of those criterion but fits the other 6-7 of them, he would be all over that player.

It seems the less holes this team has to fill, the more Buddy will have to "modify" his rules to get the guy he wants while still fitting the BPA mold. Very interesting trying to predict this pick.

Awesome problem to have. We filled some big holes in FA. We have the draft and more FA when people get cut due to how a teams draft went or salary cap issues to save money. We do know we went after CB and WR in FA. Those are likely top of the list. Buddy was looking for starters in FA. Maybe he will look for starters in the draft instead?

Awesome problem to have. We filled some big holes in FA. We have the draft and more FA when people get cut due to how a teams draft went or salary cap issues to save money. We do know we went after CB and WR in FA. Those are likely top of the list. Buddy was looking for starters in FA. Maybe he will look for starters in the draft instead?

This draft is tough to figure out. We need an LT and I think everyone here almost agrees that the talent available doesn't generate a consensus LT candidate. In fact they look like should should slide down the first round, imo.

Floyd seems to be the consensus choice at #10 if he is there. I feel that the Jags and Phins could look to him to fill there holes at WR.

If Floyd is gone, BPAs are Kuechy & DeCastro. CB warrants a mention as well. When was the last time McGee finished a season, Ledois was benched for putrid play last year and is a FA. We brought in Stanford Routt earlier as well although he didn't sign. Kirkpatrick is coming in for visit and Stephon Gilmore who I liked at #41 seems to be hitting the first round in some mocks and has even moved above Kirkpatrick. Kirkpatrick isn't great at man coverage, which Wanny said we won't play much of. He has also been mentioned as a safety prospect. Chan & Buddy love players that can play multiple positions. Is the top LB or G worth taking over a CB?

Also, I am not saying we have to take into account what other teams in our division are doing, but the Jets have a glaring need at WR. If we don't take Floyd, is he a player you want to face twice a year with the Jets? If Floyd is gone before us, Do we reach for Hill? Good chance the Jets grab him if we don't and he won't be there at #41.

Last season in a pre-draft interview Buddy indicated they were drafting for depth last year and to stop the run. We grabbed starters in FA this season, who fix the pass rush. Buddy expects the playoffs and thought we had a 10 win team last season without the injuries. Gailey says we should compete for the division. It seems like this draft we may indeed be looking for immediate starters in the first few rounds.

This guy could be in the same group as Jason Pierre Paul - a guy with embarrassing low production for his

draft position who could excel as a pro - or he could be a highly over-drafted bust.

I think the Bills have made significant strides in FA and the last 2 years' drafts. I'd hate to gamble on this

guy in round 1.

Just read about him today. Looks like he is going to make it to the 1st rd and may shake up the order.

He has everything we need IMO, but if we select him we will be accused of reaching.

Maybe Buffalo could draft a LT at 10 then trade back into the back end of the 1st to get Hill and solve their WR issue. But it seems like WR's are in high demand so a guy like Hill will likely see him self go in the late teens.

If Floyd is gone before us, Do we reach for Hill? Good chance the Jets grab him if we don't and he won't be there at #41.

Last season in a pre-draft interview Buddy indicated they were drafting for depth last year and to stop the run. We grabbed starters in FA this season, who fix the pass rush. Buddy expects the playoffs and thought we had a 10 win team last season without the injuries. Gailey says we should compete for the division. It seems like this draft we may indeed be looking for immediate starters in the first few rounds.

There is no way on earth that Hill's college production warrants even a 4th round pick. Given his incredible athletic ability, he might be worth a LATE 2nd or early 3rd round pick.

I don't think you can reasonably spend the 10th pick in the draft on a guy with that little production.

There is no way on earth that Hill's college production warrants even a 4th round pick. Given his incredible athletic ability, he might be worth a LATE 2nd or early 3rd round pick.

I don't think you can reasonably spend the 10th pick in the draft on a guy with that little production.

I wasn't advocating that...was just laying options out there for discussion :flirt:

I think at 10 it is an incredible reach, but he is rated as of now as the 3rd best WR...

I wasn't advocating that...was just laying options out there for discussion :flirt:

I think at 10 it is an incredible reach, but he is rated as of now as the 3rd best WR...

I didn't mean to come across so strongly. I think Hill has talent, but his production in the same GT offense

does not even register in comparison to Calvin Johnson and it is barely a blip compared to Demarius Thomas

who wasn't elite.

I didn't mean to come across so strongly. I think Hill has talent, but his production in the same GT offense

does not even register in comparison to Calvin Johnson and it is barely a blip compared to Demarius Thomas

who wasn't elite.

You're okay...it didn't :thumbsup:

Just thought I should qualify my post...lots of questions are out there. We need to look at all the options and shoot them down...I think we can get the first 3 picks figured out if we really try.

Maybe Buffalo could draft a LT at 10 then trade back into the back end of the 1st to get Hill and solve their WR issue. But it seems like WR's are in high demand so a guy like Hill will likely see him self go in the late teens.

If the rash of FA WR signings in the first week said anything it said that WRs are in high demand. Some of these guys could go early to teams that wanted a WR in FA and missed out. We are one of those teams.

As I said in another thread, Buddy Nix was front and center at Stephen Hill's pro day and Chan has obvious connections to GT that gives them an almost lock solid evaluation on this guy.

The people talking up Floyd might as while forget him ever being picked by the Bills. Hill has no character concerns that I've heard about. He seems like the player Lee Evans would be if he were 6'4".

WR is clearly the Bills #1 need and if Buddy feels that Hill is a top 10 talent then he will no doubt be the pick at #10 baring someone huge dropping like Claiborne.

I don't think you can say WR is clearly our "#1 need" with our Left Tackle situation.

He likes big guys.

He likes fast guys.

He likes smart players.

He likes tough guys.

He also likes guys from the South. For obvious reasons...and no not talking about his accent.

If the rash of FA WR signings in the first week said anything it said that WRs are in high demand. Some of these guys could go early to teams that wanted a WR in FA and missed out. We are one of those teams.

Manningham makes more than SJ...edit(not true - didn't read the entire article) :censored::oops:

WRs on FA are way expensive. The market snapped them up quick this year and not everyone filled their holes...

Edited by reed83 4th Rounder

Manningham makes more than SJ...

WRs on FA are way expensive. The market snapped them up quick this year and not everyone filled their holes...

Turns out he was plucked off the bargain rack… looks to me like his agent planted those Manningham to Buffalo rumors.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/23/mario-manningham-got-7-375-million-from-the-49ers/

I don't think you can say WR is clearly our "#1 need" with our Left Tackle situation.

It really is. We either have Hairston or Bell this year as our starting LT. We have ????? as or starting #2 WR. The NFL is a passing league and if you don't have one of the major pieces in place to make it work you are in a sense, doomed. Running game is less effective, passing game is less effective. They can't do Fitzpatrick like that. They have to get someone opposite SJ and the plan can't be counting on Marcus Easley. I'm starting to believe that Stephen Hill will our pick. Guys with his size and speed are gold in this league. Will it be seen as a reach/risk pick? Yes, but Buddy has serious cache now.

If they don't draft a 1st rd WR then they almost have to sign TO to a one year contract.

Edited by 1billsfan

Not enough resume to be a top 10 pick. I would be shocked even more than when the Bills took Whitner. It would be a similar reach really.

How much resume did Calvin Johnson have when he was picked #2?

How much resume did Calvin Johnson have when he was picked #2?

That is kind of the point with these GT guys. I am not big into this college vs that college etc etc. Hill, however, is quite literally the next BIG(and super fast) thing to come out of GT.

Even though I'm not a fan of Hill (see earlier post) people need to stop judging him based on stats. WRs do more blocking than route running in GTs triple option. Stats won't paint an accurate picture for guys coming out of GT, Army, etc.

Turns out he was plucked off the bargain rack… looks to me like his agent planted those Manningham to Buffalo rumors.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/23/mario-manningham-got-7-375-million-from-the-49ers/

I didn't even read the article, just the headline; hence me saying he made more than SJ :censored:

Edited by reed83 4th Rounder

That is kind of the point with these GT guys. I am not big into this college vs that college etc etc. Hill, however, is quite literally the next BIG(and super fast) thing to come out of GT.

Which is why I would like to trafe down and still pick him up. The key to that, of course, is to not trade down too far.

Biletnikoff Winner in 06, runner-up in 05. First team All-American 05 and 06. Not a bad resume, eh?

Correct me if Im wrong, but wasn't that before Johnson arrived as HC at Ga Tech and installed the triple option.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't see him being the pick at 10. I can't see him being available in round 2. I can't see buddy giving up picks to trade up for him. I can't see him being a bill. Selecting him at 10 is the most likely scenario and based on buddies philosophy of drafting the bpa, it's a big stretch.

I can't see him being the pick at 10. I can't see him being available in round 2. I can't see buddy giving up picks to trade up for him. I can't see him being a bill. Selecting him at 10 is the most likely scenario and based on buddies philosophy of drafting the bpa, it's a big stretch.

I second this. Not worth #10, probably not around in round 2. I like much of what I've seen of SH, but it's SUCH a small sample size because he wasn't thrown to much. Not only that, in his highlight videos look how often the CB is busy looking into the backfield trying to help stop the overpresent run, run and more run that the GT offense does. He won't have that distraction luxury in the NFL.

He's definitely an athlete, and willing team player, but can he be a productive WR in the NFL? RISKY bet.

Not enough resume to be a top 10 pick. I would be shocked even more than when the Bills took Whitner. It would be a similar reach really.

Yep. We have Hill going to Cleveland at their #22 (If Cleveland is the team at #22...I'd like to see a trade here... :ph34r: )

Great points except for the fact that Buddy Nix was sighted at his pro day. I don't think Buddy does much traveling unless there is some serious consideration.

I was being honest. Great point. I don't see this happening unless there is some movement in the draft. I would not poop a brick if we took him at #10 but I find it highly unlikely. It would be considered one of the bigger "reaches" in recent history.

If I'm not mistaken this was post combine after his measureables made him a consensus first round pick. Consensus first round pick meaning he will "go" in the first round.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/3/9/2856717/2012-nfl-draft-stephen-hill-buffalo-bills

Yep. We have Hill going to Cleveland at their #22 (If Cleveland is the team at #22...I'd like to see a trade here... :ph34r: )

If it happens I would imagine that it would be due to a trade back or a trade up back into the 1st round. 22 might be a bit late though. For what it's worth he was interviewed and featured on Sports Center and seems like a solid well spoken character guy. First thing he plans on doing with his money when asked was to give his tithe to the church and take care of his parents.

Edited by PDaDdy

Correct me if Im wrong, but wasn't that before Johnson arrived as HC at Ga Tech and installed the triple option.

Yes. You are correct.

Not a bad resume, but the awards do not always translate to a stellar pro career.

That's pretty immaculate as far as resumes go. I enjoy you brought it up then discredit looking at it when you realized how absolutely impeccable his college work was.

Get Gilmore at #10....trade back into the first (possibly using next years weaker #1) and grab Hill

OR

Give next years 1 to Pitt for Wallace

Then go nuts with OT/LB/Depth and Russel Wilson late in the 4th

Something tells me that Ga Tech connection is strong to very strong with Chix and this is their guy.