Robert Meachem visits Bills, signs with SD

mrags

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isnt it sad that the Bills couldnt even pay the money to get a #3 receiver. And you think they are really trying to get williams. Its all a smoke screen they aint spending.

I've already asked this of someone else, and I didn't get an answer. Maybe you can provide me some insight here. Are you saying you would have paid Meachem almost as much as we paid Stevie? You would have been okay paying that much money to someone with half the production? Half the production in a record setting passing offense?

Edited by thepizzaking

I've already asked this of someone else, and I didn't get an answer. Maybe you can provide me some insight here. Are you saying you would have paid Meachem almost as much as we paid Stevie? You would have been okay paying that much money to someone with half the production? Half the production in a record setting passing offense?

He is a legit #2 in an offence that has 4 WR's and a probowl TE, not enough balls to go around. On another team his numbers will go up quite a bit

He is a legit #2 in an offence that has 4 WR's and a probowl TE, not enough balls to go around. On another team his numbers will go up quite a bit

You're still not answering a simple question. Would you have been okay if Buffalo paid him exactly what SD paid him? Which is slightly under Stevie's contract.

He was never #2

Colston and Henderson were the starters with lance Moore first off the bench most games

In that offense he was #4 and that's not even counting Graham or sproles.

Just confirmed on ESPN

I think SD just outbid us. The Bills do have to think about pay parity a bit. SJ signed for about $7.25M/yr if I read correctly.

Meachem went to SD for $7.37M/yr.

You're still not answering a simple question. Would you have been okay if Buffalo paid him exactly what SD paid him? Which is slightly under Stevie's contract.

I could be mistaken but on a per-year basis, I think it is more than Stevie. Stevie's is 5 yr, Meachem is 4 yr

(Edit: I've now seen reports that Meacham's contract was less than that, $25.9M/4 years for $6.4. or something like that. But with VJax gone, Meachem can be #1 in SD. When the QB shaves a message into his head on behalf of a diff. WR, that's a clue Meachem would have to go some to be #1 WR in Buff).

Edited by Hopeful

The guy's body language walking into that meeting was evident. He was skeptical, IMO. I think the Bills gave him a good offer, but the Chargers pressed the panic button and overpaid for a #2 receiver to be their #1 guy. As a Bills fan, I'm not too upset about it. The Bills should now go after McNeil or Gaither at LT and draft Floyd first round.

This is the first time I've ever heard of a player doing this: going to one city and signing at another he hasn't even seen while still in the first city. Amazing.

PTR

I read ...rarely post ..... this was not just conducting business ... this was a filthy thing to do ... how do you come here on the Bill's nickel, thank them for dinner and then sign with another team you did not even visit?

Gotta call dick on that one.

Did Meachem have an agent?

He broke the "protocol" on several levels. One, you don't sign with a team you didn't visit nor have a relationship with and secondly, you don't sign with a team while being hosted by another team. That's very bush league and front office people remember that.

The guy's body language walking into that meeting was evident. He was skeptical, IMO. I think the Bills gave him a good offer, but the Chargers pressed the panic button and overpaid for a #2 receiver to be their #1 guy. As a Bills fan, I'm not too upset about it. The Bills should now go after McNeil or Gaither at LT and draft Floyd first round.

The Chargers are in the same position we'd have been in if we hadn't signed SJ: big gaping hole at WR. It's not a surprise they would be willing to pay more.

I wonder if the Bills pulled out every stop they could....I haven't seen any mention of them, I wonder if Fitz and Stevie would have been part of the party if it could have made a difference.

Though as I said elsewhere, when the QB shaves a Tweet into his head on another WR behalf, that's a pretty big clue who's "the Man" in that QB eyes.

In SD, with VJax gone, there is no Man but Meacham. That's pretty attractive along with the weather.

Question: Where did you see Meacham's body language?

Did Meachem have an agent?

He broke the "protocol" on several levels. One, you don't sign with a team you didn't visit nor have a relationship with and secondly, you don't sign with a team while being hosted by another team. That's very bush league and front office people remember that.

I'm sure he has an agent.

Where did you guys get this protocol thing? What Whitner did was bush league-verbally agreed to sign with Cincy, even tweet about it himself, had everyone in Cincy expecting him, signed with SF at the last minute.

A dinner is not a committment to sign. It's a committment to listen and see what the other folks are like.

This is business. As long as he went to B'lo willing to listen and without a firm commitment AT THE TIME HE GOT ON THE PLANE, I don't see what the issue is other than Bills fan disappointment.

It's also possible the dinner turned him off if there was more focus on Super Mario and only Kyle Williams there as a player. He may have felt slighted.

Meachem wanted to be a #1 WR.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/03/14/why-meachem-chose-chargers/

"Before anyone criticizes the Bills for not landing free agent WR Robert Meachem they need to consider the factors in the decision.

Meachem his entire career has had to take a back seat to the likes of Marques Colston, the clear number one receiver for the Saints. This past season Meachem was knocked down two more pegs in the pecking order with TE Jimmy Graham and RB Darren Sproles leading the team in receptions with 99 and 86 respectively.

No one played more snaps (877) among the receiving targets for the Saints last season and had fewer receptions than Meachem (40). So when the Chargers presented the opportunity to be a bona fide number one wideout in their offense, knowing Vincent Jackson had signed with Tampa, for him it was probably an easy decision assuming the money in San Diego was comparable to the money being offered by Buffalo.

With Stevie Johnson as the number one in Buffalo, Meachem knew at best he was a number two wideout.

Add in the opportunity to play with a Pro Bowl QB in San Diego in Philip Rivers, in a traditional vertical offense where Jackson as the previous #1 has the highest yards per catch average for a #1 wideout over the past four years (2008-2011) with 18 yards per catch and you see the extras that San Diego had to offer."

It was a joke. I did that on purpose.

Your second sentence is contradicting your first. Seriously, you dont even know the guy. SD offered way more money than anyone else. Yet Meachem should go f**k himself.

Edited by Beerball
Edited out inappropriate comment from OP

Isnt it sad that the Bills couldnt even pay the money to get a #3 receiver. And you think they are really trying to get williams. Its all a smoke screen they aint spending.

Sure looks like the same old, same old from the Bills FO. We tried to get this guy. Guess we'll have to keep building through the draft and missing the playoffs. In a lot of ways, this is a total EPIC FAIL. Fly a guy in on a private jet, and while he's here, he sings somehwere else. That said, I'm not sure Fitz had the arm to get Meachem the ball.

Meachem wanted to be a #1 WR.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/03/14/why-meachem-chose-chargers/

"Before anyone criticizes the Bills for not landing free agent WR Robert Meachem they need to consider the factors in the decision.

Meachem his entire career has had to take a back seat to the likes of Marques Colston, the clear number one receiver for the Saints. This past season Meachem was knocked down two more pegs in the pecking order with TE Jimmy Graham and RB Darren Sproles leading the team in receptions with 99 and 86 respectively.

No one played more snaps (877) among the receiving targets for the Saints last season and had fewer receptions than Meachem (40). So when the Chargers presented the opportunity to be a bona fide number one wideout in their offense, knowing Vincent Jackson had signed with Tampa, for him it was probably an easy decision assuming the money in San Diego was comparable to the money being offered by Buffalo.

With Stevie Johnson as the number one in Buffalo, Meachem knew at best he was a number two wideout.

Add in the opportunity to play with a Pro Bowl QB in San Diego in Philip Rivers, in a traditional vertical offense where Jackson as the previous #1 has the highest yards per catch average for a #1 wideout over the past four years (2008-2011) with 18 yards per catch and you see the extras that San Diego had to offer."

He will be a total failure as a #1 WR. He's a #2 receiver. Glad he got the $$, but the Bills should have been wise to this before bringing him in, in a very public way.

As excited as I was to have Meachem on the team, that level of salary was overpaying and the way he handled this makes it clear that money was the only thing that was important to him. Good luck Robert, it could have been great.

Sure looks like the same old, same old from the Bills FO. We tried to get this guy. Guess we'll have to keep building through the draft and missing the playoffs. In a lot of ways, this is a total EPIC FAIL. Fly a guy in on a private jet, and while he's here, he sings somehwere else. That said, I'm not sure Fitz had the arm to get Meachem the ball.

If a guy wants to be a #1 WR in the league, and your team already has a #1 WR on the team, then what do you expecting from the Bills, demote Steve Johnson to #2, just so Meachem can be the #1 WR, even though Meachem was a #4 WR. Besides that, the big fish that the Bills want [Mario Williams] is at OBD right now.