Sick of Over-priced Razors?

Well put. Bizarre is the way to go, especially with the dawn of tivo where people can strategically miss commercials.

As far as major corporations go, I think Old Spice is ahead of the curve...even they have to find something new though, they've been milking the p-p-p-p-power thing for a year now.

Agreed. However, it should be noted that the first major company to start running "alt" ads was Burger King, back in the day when they started "the King" commercials. And now they are about out of business.

But I think that has to do more with the industry, than the ads they were running.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

burger king is almost out of business?????

Agreed. However, it should be noted that the first major company to start running "alt" ads was Burger King, back in the day when they started "the King" commercials. And now they are about out of business.

But I think that has to do more with the industry, than the ads they were running.

Exactly... You can get more miles out of them if you can handle it not so smooth. Also: Let your blade sit in mineral oil (or even olive oil).

I've heard it said that the blades are still sharp when you feel you have to toss them, but that they rust and the blades bend, which leads to irritation. Putting it in mineral oil helps, as does keeping it dry after use. As for keeping the blades from bending, don't apply too much pressure when shaving.

Oh, and as I alluded to, try to shave in the shower, after you've been able to get your face/facial hair wet and softer.

Do what I do: wet shave using a safety razor. I replace the blade every 4 or 5 (sometimes 6 if it can take it) shaves, and pay less than $0.20 per blade.

I picked up safety razors and loved the concept of cheap replacements. Problem was I could not get a good shave. Do you get a decent shave?

Agreed. However, it should be noted that the first major company to start running "alt" ads was Burger King, back in the day when they started "the King" commercials.

I would consider Bud as being before the BK King ads. Remember Wassup! That was years before The King came out.

I would consider Bud as being before the BK King ads. Remember Wassup! That was years before The King came out.

What are we counting as "alt" here? The Bud Bowl wasn't exactly a display of the product itself. And then there's that strange Mac commercial they always talk about from back in the day.

What are we counting as "alt" here? The Bud Bowl wasn't exactly a display of the product itself. And then there's that strange Mac commercial they always talk about from back in the day.

I dont consider "WAAAZZAA" to be "alt advertising". That was just catchy and funny and appealed to everyone.

Alt advertising would be more along the lines of funny but strange in a way that my parents probably wouldnt get/like the ad. Ads aimed at 15-25 year olds. Coming from the [adult swim] brand of media.

For example, when the King commercials first started, he was a semi-menacing character that would just lurk people, and then offer them a burger. It was kind of off-putting, but in a funny, acceptable way.

Just my 2 cents.

edit: see the wiki on Burger King advertising specifically...

In 2003, Burger King hired the Miami-based advertising agency Crispin Porter + Bogusky (CP+B), which revived the Burger King character used during Burger King's 1970s and 1980s Burger King Kingdom advertising campaign as a caricature now simply called "the King". The farcical nature of the Burger King advertisements inspired an internet meme where the image of the King is manipulated into unusual situations that are either comical or menacing, often followed with the phrase Where is your God now?.
Edited by DrDareustein

I picked up safety razors and loved the concept of cheap replacements. Problem was I could not get a good shave. Do you get a decent shave?

You need a good shave, hippie? Who would'a thunk it? :P

I get a damn close, smooth shave. Some things necessary for a good shave that you might have been missing (in no particular order):

*Get yourself some nice shaving cream or shaving soap, none of that canned foam/gel crap. The difference is noticeable immediately.

*In the same vein as the above, make sure you have a nice brush. I use one made of badger hair.

*A good blade (obviously), but you need to find one that is good for your particular way of shaving. I use Red Pack Personnas, but there are lots of good blades out there. I recommend buying a sample pack that contains 5 or 10 different brands of razors and giving them all a try, feeling out which one is best for you.

*You need to change the blade often. None of this blue collar, "getting more miles" crap. You'll only hurt your face if you cheap out, and the razors are cheap anyway. I change the blade every 4 or 5 shaves and still pay less than $1 per month for replacements.

As far as shaving techniques, google can help you with that. Everybody has their favorite little shaving mannerisms, just try a bunch of techniques and figure out which works best for you.

I bought a Gillette Fusion maybe a year ago, and still haven't needed to change the blade (or I should say 5 blades). It's crazy.

What the heck! I don't even get that much out of a cartridge! How many times do you shave a week? The blue lube strip only lasts about 2-3 shaves (if that) for me. Anyway... How has the actual lube strip not fallen off yet? Given that it is that old, you would think just physics alone would have worn the whole strip down to nothing.

Anyway... I noticed that it seems they have made those lube strips even weaker now. I have a heavy, thick beard... Probably could shave everyday... But I go about 2-3 days.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I get a damn close, smooth shave. Some things necessary for a good shave that you might have been missing (in no particular order):

*Get yourself some nice shaving cream or shaving soap, none of that canned foam/gel crap. The difference is noticeable immediately.

*In the same vein as the above, make sure you have a nice brush. I use one made of badger hair.

*A good blade (obviously), but you need to find one that is good for your particular way of shaving. I use Red Pack Personnas, but there are lots of good blades out there. I recommend buying a sample pack that contains 5 or 10 different brands of razors and giving them all a try, feeling out which one is best for you.

*You need to change the blade often. None of this blue collar, "getting more miles" crap. You'll only hurt your face if you cheap out, and the razors are cheap anyway. I change the blade every 4 or 5 shaves and still pay less than $1 per month for replacements.

As far as shaving techniques, google can help you with that. Everybody has their favorite little shaving mannerisms, just try a bunch of techniques and figure out which works best for you.

You are going old school with the double-sided safety razors. I use the 5 bladed fusion and like bbb said... Can go forever on it without much waste... And it doesn't hurt the face! Really. When it does, I do change it out... Believe it or not.

My type of beard would spoil one of those classic blades in a single shave or two!

1331391390[/url]' post='2400536']

Says the man I've never seen with any stubble.

I only shave 1 or 2 times a week.

I dry the blades after each time I use it and have found the blades last 5 times longer.

Edited by mead107

Good advice. I have a Merkur safety razor, Merkur blades, a badger shaving brush, good shaving cream, and still cannot get a good shave. That razor is pretty uncomfortable to shave with IMO. The frugal side of me wants to make the switch, but the safety razor does a poor job shaving. I asked a friend of mine who is a barber about safety razors and he says they don't work. I will try that Red Pack Personnas though. It bothers me spending money on razors frequently.

And the only reason I shave is I need to for my job(well every couple days or so)

Good advice. I have a Merkur safety razor, Merkur blades, a badger shaving brush, good shaving cream, and still cannot get a good shave. That razor is pretty uncomfortable to shave with IMO. The frugal side of me wants to make the switch, but the safety razor does a poor job shaving. I asked a friend of mine who is a barber about safety razors and he says they don't work. I will try that Red Pack Personnas though. It bothers me spending money on razors frequently.

And the only reason I shave is I need to for my job(well every couple days or so)

If you have good equipment and still having trouble, try watching some youtube videos of guys demonstrating good safety razor technique. A few quick tips:

*You obtain a closer shave by making more passes with your razor, not by exerting more pressure; I have to pass over my stubble at least twice to get a close shave. One pass will almost never do it. The goal isn't to carve off your entire beard in one pass, but to reduce your stubble bit by bit.

*Angle of the razor is important. You have to experiment to figure out what angle is best for you. If the angle isn't right, you'll end up scraping over your stubble instead of slicing it. Unlike shaving with a cartridge razor (with a pivoting head), you, not the razor, are responsible for the angle.

*Use short strokes. It helps you maintain the angle and correct pressure.

*If your razor is adjustable, don't think that you can solve your shaving troubles by adjusting the razor.

My friend got a bunch of us old-school straight razors for Christmas. I have yet to try it. Im afraid of slicing my throat, lol.

Anyone use an old style straight razor, ever? Any tips?

Keep it sharp :D Good luck. I've decided to wait a few years before graduating to a straight razor. It has a greater learning curve, for sure, than the safety razor.