Sick of Over-priced Razors?

My friend got a bunch of us old-school straight razors for Christmas. I have yet to try it. Im afraid of slicing my throat, lol.

Anyone use an old style straight razor, ever? Any tips?

Don't watch The Color Purple.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Straight razor? Yikes! I still remember being terrorized by grandfather's barber belt (when we acted nasty) as a child.

My grandfather was a barber, but he died when I was two years old. However, the belts were always still there as a threat!

My grandfather was a barber, but he died when I was two years old. However, the belts were always still there as a threat!

Think about it... Those belts were a pretty awesome tool for threatening a child to behave! Children don't know what they are missing today! ;)

Belt

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I just went through the last of these razors, and man did they destroy my face! I bit the bullet and bought some more gillette fusion cartridges, but I've really been interested in getting a real man's shaving kit: good safety razor, brush and shaving cream. I have never used one before, but I'd be willing to drop at least $50 for the up front cost to give it a try. Hell, I just paid half that for a pack of cartridges. Someone bump this thread in June when its time to restock so that I can bite the bullet and get a real man's kit.

Edited by Corp000085

I just went through the last of these razors, and man did they destroy my face! I bit the bullet and bought some more gillette fusion cartridges, but I've really been interested in getting a real man's shaving kit: good safety razor, brush and shaving cream. I have never used one before, but I'd be willing to drop at least $50 for the up front cost to give it a try. Hell, I just paid half that for a pack of cartridges. Someone bump this thread in June when its time to restock so that I can bite the bullet and get a real man's kit.

Real men don't use safety razors. They use straight razors. And they swig tequila while using them. :ph34r:

Real men don't use safety razors. They use straight razors. And they swig tequila while using them. :ph34r:

No mirror also and just a wash bowl (like in those crazy western movies)... ;) ;)

Also... No hot towels either!

It helps with behavioral problems, too.

The true skill came in not being able to hone a sharp razor, but to NOT leave a mark on the misbehaving child! That is all important, especially in today's world. ;) ;)