1. 1. What would you do?

• Keep Florence - for depth, ect.
    • Cut Florence - make cap room/ $3million

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They should cut him asap. Doesn't matter if he was getting paid minimum wage. He sucks and talks too much. More importantly, he is taking up playing time for the guy who I believe will emerge as the Bills' best corner (after McGee goes down in week 2) next year: Justin f'n Rogers!!

He reminds me of how Jabari Greer looked when he was here. I hope Wannstedt sees what George Edwards couldn't.

So now that its looking like Terrence McGee will be in a Bills uniform next season, i think a lot of attention will be turned to Drayton Florence. He is making $5 million in 2012 and $6 million in 2013. By cutting him the Bills could save approximately $3.5 million against the cap next year.

There are both pros and cons on cutting Florence. The Bills could definitely use the depth in the secondary, especially considering McGee hasnt played much the last two seasons. On the other hand, if the Bills plan to make a big move in free agency it wouldnt hurt to free up some cap room.

Cutting McKelvin is not likely because it would cost as much to cut him as it would to keep him.

So the question is, would you cut Florence and save the money or keep him.

The Bills have plenty of cap space. No need to cut starters to clear room.

So now that its looking like Terrence McGee will be in a Bills uniform next season, i think a lot of attention will be turned to Drayton Florence. He is making $5 million in 2012 and $6 million in 2013. By cutting him the Bills could save approximately $3.5 million against the cap next year.

There are both pros and cons on cutting Florence. The Bills could definitely use the depth in the secondary, especially considering McGee hasnt played much the last two seasons. On the other hand, if the Bills plan to make a big move in free agency it wouldnt hurt to free up some cap room.

Cutting McKelvin is not likely because it would cost as much to cut him as it would to keep him.

I really like McGee as a CB, I think he is better than Florence...BUT he is unfortunately made of glass, and he is only getting older. Florence struggled at times last year (as did the entire secondary), but no CB is ever going to have an easy time without a pass rush. I still believe Florence is a starting quality CB in the NFL, and we will need to have a guy like that if we are even considering relying on McGee to stay healthy.

Regardless of cost, I think we should dump McKelvin, unless we make him our full time PR/KR. As a CB, he just isn't good. He has speed and can stay with a guy, but is clueless on how to play the ball. This leads to countless penalties, and receivers catching the ball over his head with regularity. He is usually in good position, but almost never actually makes the play. Opposing QB's love seeing him on the field, they will throw at him every time...

They should cut him asap. Doesn't matter if he was getting paid minimum wage. He sucks and talks too much. More importantly, he is taking up playing time for the guy who I believe will emerge as the Bills' best corner (after McGee goes down in week 2) next year: Justin f'n Rogers!!

He reminds me of how Jabari Greer looked when he was here. I hope Wannstedt sees what George Edwards couldn't.

Justin Rogers showed some ability (almost entirely kick return related), in his very tiny amount of playing time as an NFL CB (Nickle and Dime only) he had a couple of good plays, and also got burned on a few plays. It might be reasonable to hope he get grab the dime or maybe nickle spot on this team, but to expect him to step in as a starter is probably wishful thinking.

Florence is a good, proven starting CB in the NFL. Did he have trouble last year? Yeah, but when the opposing QB has 10 seconds to pull the trigger on every play, he doesn't have much of a chance. Rogers won't fix that problem.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Why cut him and create another hole? He is serviceable at the very least and has had ups and downs throughout his career. If we needed cap space maybe but they don't and probably won't spend what money they do have.

Exactly. I never understand the mindless calls to cut guys, without someone to play in their place...That in no way helps the team.

Aaron Williams looks to be a very good CB IMO, but he has only played a handful of games, McGee was just signed, but he hasn't been healthy in years. McKelvin...well he just sucks. The Bills need Florence, who despite the occasional mistakes is a solid CB. If they cut him, they would just need to sign someone else. The Bills have enough needs on this team as it is, they shouldn't be trying to create more...

Without a doubt you keep him, and go into camp with Florence, McGee, Williams, McKelvin, Corner, Rogers, +1 Mid-rounder, +1 or 2 camp fodder signings.

Let them fight for the positions. Even if you keep 6, theyre not all going to make it through the entire season. McGee might not even make it out of camp!

Dont bother signing any Free Agent starters at CB. Put the money towards Stevie, WRs, Pass Rush, and signing our own guys that need extensions.

:thumbsup:

Overrated? By who? Guy is the #1 whipping boy on this site.

:thumbsup:

There is no reason to cut him; who are they going to get that's better?

I really like McGee as a CB, I think he is better than Florence...BUT he is unfortunately made of glass, and he is only getting older. Florence struggled at times last year (as did the entire secondary), but no CB is ever going to have an easy time without a pass rush. I still believe Florence is a starting quality CB in the NFL, and we will need to have a guy like that if we are even considering relying on McGee to stay healthy.

Regardless of cost, I think we should dump McKelvin, unless we make him our full time PR/KR. As a CB, he just isn't good. He has speed and can stay with a guy,but is clueless on how to play the ball. This leads to countless penalties, and receivers catching the ball over his head with regularity. He is usually in good position, but almost never actually makes the play. Opposing QB's love seeing him on the field, they will throw at him every time...

Justin Rogers showed some ability (almost entirely kick return related), in his very tiny amount of playing time as an NFL CB (Nickle and Dime only) he had a couple of good plays, and also got burned on a few plays. It might be reasonable to hope he get grab the dime or maybe nickle spot on this team, but to expect him to step in as a starter is probably wishful thinking.

Florence is a good, proven starting CB in the NFL. Did he have trouble last year? Yeah, but when the opposing QB has 10 seconds to pull the trigger on every play, he doesn't have much of a chance. Rogers won't fix that problem.

Edited by Dopey

Florence took a big step back last year but I am blaming his decline on George Edwards.

Edwards, and also having rookies starting at the other CB and SS position for a chunk of the year. Williams and Searcy played well, but they also blew a number of coverages, as rookies will. There were a number of times that Florence was expecting Safety help and Searcy wasnt there, and they had to go over the coverage after the play. Florence was actually an asset last year, as he was coaching the rookies on the field.

Keep. No Reason his contract should make or break any deal. He's a consumate pro, a good guy and I think will only get better if they improve the Front 7. You need veteran depth back there. With ? with McGee, McKelvin and Williams, We need this guy.

If healthy, our DB's are solid. Yeah, OK, they looked bad last year when we couldn't pressure the QB, but that was deceiving - they are a solid group. So why screw with it? I'm sure there will be a draftee or 2 and some street FA's, but this is a solid core that should be left alone.

Focus should be on defensive edge (rushers) and LB's.

Also focus on WR, back-up QB and OL depth.

I think people forget that defensive back may be the hardest position in all of sports to play now. The league hates defense. If you breathe on a receiver, it's a penalty. DF has played pretty well for most of his career and is a leader. OF course, he will get burned or penaltized occasionally. It's part of the gig (see Champ Bailey or Revis). He's a very solid corner.