Sources: Steelers may release Ward.

#34fan

Why risk losing a guy who is young and getting better for a guy who is old and getting worse? I'd rather keep easley, jones and aiken...

Position doesn't matter in terms of being a leader. Ray Lewis runs the Ravens...all postions, even tho he is a LB. We have leaders who can still perform at a high level. Ward would just be a Ochocino 2011 style on any team that signs him.

I see what you are saying about giving up a young player for an aging vet. it is a fine line. But in this case, I think Ward would bring more to the team than Aiken or Jones ever will.

With regard to your other point, I disagree. Having a WR sit in on meetings, review game tape, talk to them about preparation, share his experiences (good and bad) would be an amazing, immeasurable asset to young receivers like Stevie, Easley, Nelson and any young player we brought in. I realize that Hines is not physically what he was even just 1-2 years ago, but I think he would still be a good addition at a reasonable price. Similar to what Lofton brought to the Bills years ago. I don't think you can ever have enough leaders on the team.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see what you are saying about giving up a young player for an aging vet. it is a fine line. But in this case, I think Ward would bring more to the team than Aiken or Jones ever will.

With regard to your other point, I disagree. Having a WR sit in on meetings, review game tape, talk to them about preparation, share his experiences (good and bad) would be an amazing, immeasurable asset to young receivers like Stevie, Easley, Nelson and any young player we brought in. I realize that Hines is not physically what he was even just 1-2 years ago, but I think he would still be a good addition at a reasonable price. Similar to what Lofton brought to the Bills years ago. I don't think you can ever have enough leaders on the team.

So why do we have coaches? If you want to bring him in as a coach cool, but a guy who isn't going to be able to contribute in a year instead of developing a talent that could help us for the next 5 just doesn't make sense to me

He's done.

Tough to justify a roster spot on a now #4 WR who doesn't play ST.

That's why the Steelers let him go.

Looking at stats from last year, Ward would have been our 3rd best statistical WR (I looked at catches, TDs, First downs, and Yards).

It's not like our roster is full of guys who are better, even at this late stage of his career.

so cut one of Easley, Aiken or Jones,

Easley's health is a big ?

Jones and Aiken are just depth guys anyway. There are 1000 guys like them that we could grab off the street in a pinch.

+1 on that God made hundreds of receivers but not too many athletic big guys. But I still voted no. Make him our receivers coach if he can't make the team

i don't think there is a place on this team for hines ward. i really like the way he has played football in this league. he played with passion and was very phisical and was a willing and effective blocker, and we caould benefit from having a reciever or two cut from that cloth, but at his age, with his mileage and baggage...

As much as I would love to have Hines as a Bill, no way it's gonna happen. Ever. He could bring some great experience and passion to Buffalo.

I'm not a big advocate of the move but Doug Whaley might very well be.

I don't think the money will be a problem; the question is if Hines Ward is willing to take on a much-reduced role. He's not a replacement for Stevie by any stretch, but I think he could fit in as a 3rd/4th WR behind Stevie and Easley. Betting, of course, that Easley turns into the guy we all hope he is. He's still a guy who can run an 8 yard out on 3rd and 7, and probably do it cleaner than David Nelson. And he could be useful as a blocker in some situations.

I'm not convinced the guy is completely done. Last year he still had almost 50 catches in a reserve role. The year before that he had something like 800 yards on the season. The year before that he had the second most productive season of his career. It's not like he's Chad Johnson and is a total non-factor. He's a proud man with something to prove and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him make some plays for somebody in 2012.

I think I'd like to see the Bills call him up and see if he's interested. Aside from adding toughness and being a pretty good fit for this offense, he could be a lot of help in helping Stevie Johnson learn to play with better focus and could be a great influence on a very, very young and inexperienced WR corps. He probably doesn't have two good years left, but he might have one that could be a very positive influence on this team going forward.

I'm not convinced the guy is completely done. Last year he still had almost 50 catches in a reserve role. The year before that he had something like 800 yards on the season. The year before that he had the second most productive season of his career. It's not like he's Chad Johnson and is a total non-factor. He's a proud man with something to prove and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him make some plays for somebody in 2012.

I think I'd like to see the Bills call him up and see if he's interested. Aside from adding toughness and being a pretty good fit for this offense, he could be a lot of help in helping Stevie Johnson learn to play with better focus and could be a great influence on a very, very young and inexperienced WR corps. He probably doesn't have two good years left, but he might have one that could be a very positive influence on this team going forward.

Just as long as he don`t take them out drinking and driving.

I could see this front office picking up Hines over Stevie. Big name for the redneck fans. And he will come cheap.................Just kiddin.

Hey if Stevie doesn't come back why don't we get Lee Evans & Hines Ward that would be an awesome 2 some of veteran know how !!!!!!

:flirt: :flirt: :flirt:

I could see this front office picking up Hines over Stevie. Big name for the redneck fans. And he will come cheap.................Just kiddin.

OK, if you're kidding whats your point?

I think Hines will go to NE as Belli like savvy vets and this would give him the best chance to win.

Whether they're interested in Ward or not will have nothing to do with Stevie Johnson.