Aaron Rodgers on the Pro Bowl

Brand J

I agree in full with this writer. Might as well make the Pro Bowl two hand touch below the waste, or eliminate the game entirely. The most watched sport in the US, has BY FAR the worst all star game. Something needs to change.

Are you a NFL enthusiast who was disappointed with the lack of effort that was displayed during the 2012 Pro Bowl? You're not the only one; just ask some players.

Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers expressed his frustrations toward his NFC Pro Bowl teammates following the NFC's 59-41 loss to the AFC on January 29, 2012. Rodgers had reportedly claimed:

"I'll be honest with you," Rodgers said. "I was a little bit disappointed. I felt like some of the guys on the NFC side embarrassed themselves. [...]

"I wanted to know the plays and I wanted to play well, and I wanted to give the fans a show, and make the Green Bay fans who watched and were watching for me and my teammates, I wanted to make them proud of their Pro Bowlers. I was just surprised that some of the guys either didn't want to play or when they were in there didn't put any effort into it."

As a Packers fan, how can't I admire that competitive attitude? I too was disappointed with the lack of pride and effort that was shown from numerous players during the divisional playoffs … I mean, Pro Bowl. However, what if this is what commissioner Roger Goodell wants the league to become?

I hadn't watched a Pro Bowl in approximately one decade, if not longer. I understood that Pro Bowl games were high-scoring affairs because the rules are modified to protect the quarterbacks and favor the offenses. Some of those rules include the encouragement of intentional grounding and the prohibition of bumping receivers outside of the 5-yard-line. The last thing that the NFL wants is another situation similar to Robert Edwards.

But it's an embarrassment to the NFL when the trench players are just standing around on consecutive plays as if the play had already been blown dead. There was a stretch of two-or-three consecutive plays during the first quarter where I was convinced that a false start had occurred. I was mistaken; that was passion.

I'm aware that players want to avoid injuries. They should still show more enthusiasm when they're playing in front of a national audience. Some of those players hadn't played football in nearly one month. Everybody involved in that game won't play another game until August. They won't play another meaningful game until September.

Where's the passion for just playing because they love the game? Where are the egos? They should relish the opportunity to play against the best players in the world. The NFL is a short-lived career; they only have so many years to play this game at such a high level before their bodies start failing them. Then they'll wish that they could've played the game for longer after they didn't even take advantage of all the opportunities that were presented to them when they did play.

I won't suggest that the Pro Bowl should be discontinued because I realize that it's profitable for Hawaii. From what I'm aware of, this is one of the rare occasions where Hawaiians have an opportunity to see the NFL, MLB, NBA or NHL on their islands. It's also a nice gesture to the players who've competed throughout the entire season.

Personally, I'll just go back to not watching the Pro Bowl until they change things. I'm fine with that. What I'm worried about is that the Pro Bowl will become a regular sight during the regular season.

Numerous passing records were shattered this season. The New England Patriots and Packers both eclipsed the marks for most passing yardage allowed in NFL history. The rules changes have favored offenses. Defensive players must be extraordinarily cautious with late hits and improper tackling, primarily on quarterbacks and wide receivers. Offenses get 50-yard gains on pass-interference penalties when they barely touched the receiver.

Do whatever you want with the Pro Bowl and exhibition games. Just don't turn the NFL into the AFL.

Article Cited

Edited by JayBaller10

Its not like they can go out there and try a little. Give it 50 percent, right? When you play football you either play it or you dont.

I gotta tell you.. i dont blame these guys at all and i mean, AT ALLL for playing the way they do during the pro bowl. This is the most physically demanding sport on the continent and they are supposed to go out and risk injury? For what? To entertain?

No. I havent watched an entire pro bowl game in years. Watched about 5-10 minutes of this one. so i understand the frustration. But do i blame the players? Nope. cant do it.

Its not like they can go out there and try a little. Give it 50 percent, right? When you play football you either play it or you dont.

I gotta tell you.. i dont blame these guys at all and i mean, AT ALLL for playing the way they do during the pro bowl. This is the most physically demanding sport on the continent and they are supposed to go out and risk injury? For what? To entertain?

No. I havent watched an entire pro bowl game in years. Watched about 5-10 minutes of this one. so i understand the frustration. But do i blame the players? Nope. cant do it.

I don't think Hawaii is technically part of the continent so the NFL players get a pass.

GO BILLS!!!

So, if we were ranking the All Star Game for the four major sports, would it play out in this way?

1) MLB

2) NHL

3) NBA

4) NFL

The NBA's is always fun because they don't play defense in any game, so you get to see all of the crazy dunks and far our threes.

But I do agree with your list, NHL gets the edge because of its skills competition.

Never seen the point in the Pro Bowl for just this reason, and I've never watched a single snap. But I don't blame the players one bit.

I say bullsiht, what a ridiculous spectacle it has become, NHL all star game is the same too.

I remember when Pete Rose barrelled into Fosse at a MLB All-Star game, broke his leg, and ended his career.

Everyone of those players on the field are multi millionaires, why can't they give back for what they already got,

and not be so worried about what they are going to get? I would have to believe that most, if not All, are insured to

some degree against injuries. Like someone already stated, you either play or you don't. If I was the commissioner,

what would concern me the most, is the fact that you have a few going hard, and a bunch basically just dancing with their opponent, to me that is a perfect recipe for injuries.

Some thoughts . . .

I am neither for nor against the Pro Bowl, and I only watched 10 - 15 minutes, but,

•  
  • The players like it because most have a clause in their contract ($$)
  • They only want it in Hawaii . . . they use it as a family vacation. (Maybe they deserve the vacation, but they forget quickly why they are there - Aaron Rodgers' quote nails it.)
  • They won't play hard because they don't want to risk an injury, besides, most guys hadn't played in a month.
  • Robert Edwards? To avoid a situation like his - eliminate the Beach Volleyball Game!!
  • Rose / Fosse - Fosse separated his shoulder on the play but played several more years (just saw a MLB Channel Special on the 50 Greatest Collisions in MLB History - Rose-Fosse was #1)
  • NFL Braintrust needs to come up with a better way to handle this farce.

Edited by Never NEVER Give-up

Really Rodgers?! I think he'd change his tune if defensive guys went all out and planted him in the turf a few times. Like others said above...it's an exhibition and not worth risking injury.

Yea- and he was dogging it just as much so......

I have always watched the pro bowl. But it seems that in the last 2 games guys aren't even playing. The offensive and defensive line just stand around for the most part. It seems to me that in the past it was a real football game. I remember back in my football days the coaches telling us you have to go 100%. When you're going half speed, that's when you get hurt. Doesn't apply to the Pro Bowl I guess.

I blame it on a couple of things:

1. Roger Goodell messing with it.

2. The money doesn't motivate them anymore. Difference between winners and losers take is $25,000. Usually these guys don't get out of bed in the morning for $25,000.

I mean if guys are afraid to get hurt, they should try to get in the Tennis All Star game.

Maybe they should let guys opt out and just get guys in there that want to play. Like Aaron and Brandon Marshall.

It has gotten so bad I might even have to stop watching it.