Aaron Rodgers on the Pro Bowl

Brand J

All they need a strongest passing arm contest, fastest nfl player contest, do a sports science to determind the hardest hitting lb contest.... blah blah blah..... throw in some fan voting and cheerleading and there you go

No one would do it. To get those numbers on record at the end of the season would be at your low point physically and they'd come back to haunt someone eventually with fans or contracts. The skills would have to be totally obscure and not really easily equated to game play - think random obstacle courses, odd targets, relays etc....

No one would do it. To get those numbers on record at the end of the season would be at your low point physically and they'd come back to haunt someone eventually with fans or contracts. The skills would have to be totally obscure and not really easily equated to game play - think random obstacle courses, odd targets, relays etc....

Kind of like having a championship game at the end of the season, right? We should have it at the beginning.

Kind of like having a championship game at the end of the season, right? We should have it at the beginning.

I'm saying no rb will want to run the 40 on tv on even a slightly tweaked knee, no qb will want a radar gun on his tired shoulder. If it's an obscure obstacle course they won't have to put up with combine comparisons just weeks later.

Edited by NoSaint

A couple of ideas I had on this subject.

-Replace the pro bowl with a game between the two worst teams. The WINNER gets the #1 pick

-scrap the game altogether make being named to the pro bowl something like being named an all pro. Players can still get a bonus in their contract but it removes the multiple backouts and subs.

-as others said replace the game with a skills competition. Invite off of the Pro Bowl list (from idea above) and have replacements if people back out. There used to be a QB competition that I loved watching and I think they still do it for college QBs. I would much rather watch something like that than a half speed game.

-Introduce a bowl game system for all non-playoff teams. This would involve a 3-4 week layoff before the games are played. To make it matter would be the difficult part and this is the weakest of my ideas but I'm just throwing stuff against the wall.

I think any of these could/would be more fun for the fans and would remove the many extra pro bowlers that get bumps in their contract because they were the 3rd alternate and made it.

Really Rodgers?! I think he'd change his tune if defensive guys went all out and planted him in the turf a few times. Like others said above...it's an exhibition and not worth risking injury.

Exactly. Rodgers' comments are stupid; of course everyone is going half speed at the Pro Bowl and no one give a crap about the outcome. It is not supposed to be a competitive game so I don't know why people are always insisting it needs to be 'fixed'. Some fans just like seeing all the stars from different teams on the field together, even if they are having what basically amounts to a light practice.

Football season is over except for the Super Bowl so there's nothing missing, and therefore no reason to have anything else in its place.

I agree in full with this writer. Might as well make the Pro Bowl two hand touch below the waste, or eliminate the game entirely. The most watched sport in the US, has BY FAR the worst all star game. Something needs to change.

Article Cited

They should get rid of it altogether in my opinion. The whole concept is pointless.

Battle of the NFL cheerleaders would be far more entertaining. And probably far more physical as well.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I agree in full with this writer. Might as well make the Pro Bowl two hand touch below the waste, or eliminate the game entirely. The most watched sport in the US, has BY FAR the worst all star game. Something needs to change.

Article Cited

Funny, I was seriously thinking that (two hand touch) while watching the game. At least for the QB.

The NFL really ruined this event IMO. The obvious #1 issue, is that the game is BEFORE the super bowl, meaning the best players in the league are automatically excluded (This also has the effect of about 10 extra players getting a pro-bowl invitation on their resume, lowering the meaning of it). They also are sandwiching an awful, meaningless game in between the 2 most important weeks of the season.

Then they top it off what is a step below backyard football. I feel bad for the defensive ends in the pro-bowl, they take 2 steps off the line then just stand there until the play is over. It's awful, and completely un-watchable. I tuned out after the 1st quarter. It was even worse after having watched the NHL all-star game directly before, which is actually entertaining.

The NHL has it right, and makes an exciting event to watch IMO...The NFL should just can this game as far as I'm concerned...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

A couple of ideas I had on this subject.

-Replace the pro bowl with a game between the two worst teams. The WINNER gets the #1 pick

-scrap the game altogether make being named to the pro bowl something like being named an all pro. Players can still get a bonus in their contract but it removes the multiple backouts and subs.

-as others said replace the game with a skills competition. Invite off of the Pro Bowl list (from idea above) and have replacements if people back out. There used to be a QB competition that I loved watching and I think they still do it for college QBs. I would much rather watch something like that than a half speed game.

-Introduce a bowl game system for all non-playoff teams. This would involve a 3-4 week layoff before the games are played. To make it matter would be the difficult part and this is the weakest of my ideas but I'm just throwing stuff against the wall.

I think any of these could/would be more fun for the fans and would remove the many extra pro bowlers that get bumps in their contract because they were the 3rd alternate and made it.

Love it. I would much rather watch a loser bowl every year than the painfully awful pro-bowl. Treat the two worst teams to a trip to Hawaii. It could also make sandbagging for the #1 pick a little tougher (the colts did it in an obvious way this year).

It would never happen though...

Edited by Turbosrrgood