If Coples is there at 10 we take him over Upshaw, And Ingraam.

D521646

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Upshaw was as advertised; big plays not a great pass rusher and by pass rusher I mean someone that can get sacks on their own not by blitzing.

You keep saying this, and I still dont understand what you mean. Can you please take a second and explain?

He is a rush-34OLB. What is the difference between his normal rush and a blitz, as you see it?

1327937649[/url]' post='2373465']

You keep saying this, and I still dont understand what you mean. Can you please take a second and explain?

He is a rush-34OLB. What is the difference between his normal rush and a blitz, as you see it?

I can't speak for him, as I do not know what he's alluding to, but I think he may be talking about his ability to rush the passer with a hand on the ground from the 4-3 DE as opposed to standing up from the 3-4 OLB. We ran a 4 man D front about 50% of the time last year and if he's going to be our #1 pick, can he be effective with his hand on the ground playing the 4-3. I don't see him as a good fit as a 4-3 OLB due to his lack of experience in coverage, fluid hips and overall top end speed. Some are talking about us switching to a 4-3, if that's the case, I'd pass on Upshaw #10 overall. If we stick with a 3-4, I'd LOVE to have him, he's a monster as a 3-4 rush backer. I'm not sure he's at his best with his hand on the ground as a 4-3 DE. Selecting him is dependent on the alignment we play IMO.

I thought I just did. So I'll try again he only uses an outside pass rush, no inside rush no rip, hump or spin moves therefore not a good pass rusher on his own. On a blitz you're just shooting a gap or coming around the corner free that don't require a ton of moves just running hard at the QB and getting a clean shot.

This would be a good year (as most years are) to trade down and get another high quality pick (second or third) to address some of our other many needs. The problem is Buddy doesn't believe in trading down. While the more astute GMs know how to work the draft Buddy believes in taking the simple approach of making your picks when they come up. Buddy is good at playing checkers while the rest of the competitors are playing chess.

Trading down doesn't necessarily mean that you have to do it with your first round pick. It can also be done with your second round pick with good results. However, that isn't the Buddy way. You are what you are----you get what you get. It is difficult of thinking outside the box when you have a very staid organizational approach.

Actually, it wouild be a good year to trade up and get RG3. Not a lot of sure thing picks at the key positions (QB/OT/Pass rusher).

There have been plenty of drafts where guys like Upshaw and Ingram would be considered second rounders because they are tweeners who lack the long-armed pass rusher frame. But this year, those guys are first rounders.

Coples is very comparable to a guy like the Bengals Carlos Dunlap. Dunlap was considered a loafer and lasted until pick #54. Being picked later may or may not have served as motivation but he has been very good.

Coples may slide some, but barring a medical concern or failed drug test it's hard to imagine him making it to round two in this draft.

I'm not a big fan of Reiff but if they don't trade up and Kalil or Adams are there at #10 they are probably the sound......LONG TERM......organizational picks. Claiborne, almost regardlesss of performance, is a one-and-done contract waiting to happen.

Actually, it wouild be a good year to trade up and get RG3. Not a lot of sure thing picks at the key positions (QB/OT/Pass rusher).

There have been plenty of drafts where guys like Upshaw and Ingram would be considered second rounders because they are tweeners who lack the long-armed pass rusher frame. But this year, those guys are first rounders.

Coples is very comparable to a guy like the Bengals Carlos Dunlap. Dunlap was considered a loafer and lasted until pick #54. Being picked later may or may not have served as motivation but he has been very good.

Coples may slide some, but barring a medical concern or failed drug test it's hard to imagine him making it to round two in this draft.

I'm not a big fan of Reiff but if they don't trade up and Kalil or Adams are there at #10 they are probably the sound......LONG TERM......organizational picks. Claiborne, almost regardlesss of performance, is a one-and-done contract waiting to happen.

Buddy Nix isn't inclined to work the draft up or down. Would I like to add a qb such as RG3? Absolutely. But a team such as Cleveland that has additional picks is better situated than we are to move up. I don't believe the Redskins would give up picks to move up to get RG3 because Shanahan is trying to get away from giving up picks to being more interested in adding picks and building through the draft. Last year he traded down with his post first round picks and did an excellent job acquiring additional picks.

As you noted in your post there are quality players who are borderline first round picks but would be good value picks in the second round or third round. The Bills have multiple needs. The best approach the Bills could do is to make the sound pick and not reach for a critical need such as OLB. Steadily bolstering the roster is better than taking the Donahoe approach of gambling to make the big splash and setting the franchise further back.

The Bills general policy of not in a meaningful way participating in the free agency market hinders us in giving up picks to move up to get a "special" player such as RG3. When we do get involved in free agency we counter that acquisition with a subtraction from the roster to balance out the salary of the added player ex. Paul Pos departure and the Barnett addition.

Some team is going to give up the farm to St Louis for RG3, like 5 draft picks, 2 #1's, 2 #2's and a 3rd.

It could be Cleveland, Washington or Miami if they can't get Matt Flynn.

There is no OLB like Von Miller in this years draft, and nobody even close. Coples would be a good pick if he is there, but with 3 DE's ranked as #1 picks he might be gone fast

Some team is going to give up the farm to St Louis for RG3, like 5 draft picks, 2 #1's, 2 #2's and a 3rd.

It could be Cleveland, Washington or Miami if they can't get Matt Flynn.

There is no OLB like Von Miller in this years draft, and nobody even close. Coples would be a good pick if he is there, but with 3 DE's ranked as #1 picks he might be gone fast

0ne could only hope .

So I watched th Senior Bowl game. Not a huge College Football guy, but since this draft is so important for the Bills (Heck they all are) I figured I'd DVR it and watch when the kiddies were in bed. Coples if he can play like he did in the gamne MUST be our pick. There was nothing he couldn't do. He can line up at LDE, RDE and NT if needed. Seconf place (using the bowl game as my only indicator) was Ingram. He was also a force, but Upshaw wasn't heard from much. I also like that kid Vinny Curry. Apparently, I am reading that most scouts leave before Thursday's practice as the game itself with its limits on schemes isn't a good gauge. Well, that may be so, but from what I saw Coples is the guy we should take.

Thoughts, comments, opinions?

Tim-

Now that we know we are going 43 I think if he is as good as they say he is he would be our pick over Upshaw and Ingram.

Well I think we're moving back to the 4-3 (officially) and I'm having a hardtime talking myself into any of the DE's besides Coples there.

Taking a CB here would be a horrible decision. If you dont like any of the DE/LBs at 10, then you trade back. Corners with no pass rush = Bills Defense the last 11 years...No Thanks!!!

Go Bills!!!!!

Interesting post as usual. Question.....how would you be with trading down perhaps 7 or so spots, drafting Hightower, and picking up another second round pick?

I understand and agree with what you say about the key positions. I only raise this question because imo, our lb corps is as bad as our OL used to be. It really does look that ugly.

Buddy Nix isn't inclined to work the draft up or down. Would I like to add a qb such as RG3? Absolutely. But a team such as Cleveland that has additional picks is better situated than we are to move up. I don't believe the Redskins would give up picks to move up to get RG3 because Shanahan is trying to get away from giving up picks to being more interested in adding picks and building through the draft. Last year he traded down with his post first round picks and did an excellent job acquiring additional picks.

As you noted in your post there are quality players who are borderline first round picks but would be good value picks in the second round or third round. The Bills have multiple needs. The best approach the Bills could do is to make the sound pick and not reach for a critical need such as OLB. Steadily bolstering the roster is better than taking the Donahoe approach of gambling to make the big splash and setting the franchise further back.

The Bills general policy of not in a meaningful way participating in the free agency market hinders us in giving up picks to move up to get a "special" player such as RG3. When we do get involved in free agency we counter that acquisition with a subtraction from the roster to balance out the salary of the added player ex. Paul Pos departure and the Barnett addition.

I take what Buddy Nix says with a grain of salt. When he was in SD the Chargers traded the top pick in the draft to Atlanta so the Falcons could take Vick and they then drafted LaDanian Tomlinson and Drew Brees with the picks. Then they traded the just-drafted Eli Manning for Phillip Rivers and picks.

There is a history of draft day trades in his SD background.

Personally, I think it's less that he doesn't believe in trades than that he is not comfortable wheeling and dealing. But we shall see. Closed mouths don't get fed and Buddy needs to eat soon or it's over for he and Chan.

IMO his attitude has changed from a smug overconfidence the past two offseasons to a realization that he really hadn't done enough and there was catching up to do. Donahoe went thru the same thing and a spending spree in free agency ensued. It was too little, too late for Gregg Williams though. Another 6-10 and Chan can kiss the baby too.

Interesting post as usual. Question.....how would you be with trading down perhaps 7 or so spots, drafting Hightower, and picking up another second round pick?

I understand and agree with what you say about the key positions. I only raise this question because imo, our lb corps is as bad as our OL used to be. It really does look that ugly.

I'd be fine with that. I like Hightower. But a top half of the first round pick is a pretty prime position. You hate to draft tenth and leave that draft without a QB/LT or Pass rusher when you need all three. Unfortunately, the Bills haven't been lucky where they have been picking and had a lot of prime players fall to them. But more importantly, they haven't made their own luck by making the moves on draft day to secure the talent they need. If you allow yourself to draft in a position where you feel forced to draft a CJ Spiller when you already have Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch on your team you might not be doing your best to keep all options open.

Coples played well the best of I saw him play which was only 3 other games this year. What makes me nervous is his desire; comments from coaches were like he can be as good as he wants to be meaning if he wants to. Then Mayock asked him why his play slipped this year and he said that's why I'm here, knowing that he didn't play well. The games I saw he was loafing big time so he makes me hesitant. Could be a Randy Moss type player when things are going well he plays hard but when they don't he doesn't.

Ingram looked fantastic in practice but didn't make a lot plays in the game although he had some good rushes from the DT spot, wouldn't be upset if we got him.

Upshaw was as advertised; big plays not a great pass rusher and by pass rusher I mean someone that can get sacks on their own not by blitzing.

Curry surprised me because in the games I saw he tried hard but didn't make a lot of plays but in this game he looked pretty good and coaches were raving about him during practice.

Very fair evaluations of Coples-Ingram-Upshaw-Curry! :thumbsup:

I'd be fine with that. I like Hightower. But a top half of the first round pick is a pretty prime position. You hate to draft tenth and leave that draft without a QB/LT or Pass rusher when you need all three. Unfortunately, the Bills haven't been lucky where they have been picking and had a lot of prime players fall to them. But more importantly, they haven't made their own luck by making the moves on draft day to secure the talent they need. If you allow yourself to draft in a position where you feel forced to draft a CJ Spiller when you already have Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch on your team you might not be doing your best to keep all options open.

And you will never hear me complain if the Bills draft a top quality LT. He doesn't have to be Orlando Pace either. A LT in the range of Brad Hopkins or Tarik Glenn would be absolutely great imo. If you see one that you project to be in this caliber coming out this year, please let me know.

I guess we won't have a clue until we see what they do wrt Bell. I would LOVE to be wrong, but I don't think that Hairston has the total coordination to be a top quality LT. But, he might be a tremendous RT. Tough to say at this stage. What looks to be certain is that if Bell walks, LT is going to be a problem. And if he stays, how often will he be on the bench ala Jennings?

Buffalo Bills: Morris Claiborne CB LSU - Really?

You really think we need a CB before a pass rusher? Maybe, but I'm of the school of thought that says your secondary is as good as your front 4 .. I say the Bills lose big if we don't take a DE/OLB at number 10.

Tim-

Agreed - and I'd add Buddy Nix just said essentially the same thing just a couple of weeks ago at his presser. They need a pass rush, period. The DB's are fine.

I take what Buddy Nix says with a grain of salt. When he was in SD the Chargers traded the top pick in the draft to Atlanta so the Falcons could take Vick and they then drafted LaDanian Tomlinson and Drew Brees with the picks. Then they traded the just-drafted Eli Manning for Phillip Rivers and picks.

There is a history of draft day trades in his SD background.

Personally, I think it's less that he doesn't believe in trades than that he is not comfortable wheeling and dealing. But we shall see. Closed mouths don't get fed and Buddy needs to eat soon or it's over for he and Chan.

IMO his attitude has changed from a smug overconfidence the past two offseasons to a realization that he really hadn't done enough and there was catching up to do. Donahoe went thru the same thing and a spending spree in free agency ensued. It was too little, too late for Gregg Williams though. Another 6-10 and Chan can kiss the baby too.

Hey Badol, I have to think that the guy in SD pushing for the big trades was AJ (or A-Jerk, as you called him). Say what you will about him, but the guy is willing to gamble. He's the reason why Flutie ended up in Buffalo - he was his main (only?) advocate when they got him from the CFL. In retrospect, I suspect that Wilson's order to play Johnson in the playoff game against TN may well have contributed to the extreme bitterness between Wilson and AJ, although AJ's loyalty to Butler may have played a role.

Good points about Nix. I don't think he has it in him to make moves, but maybe he has the fear of God now. I kinda doubt it because I don't think he's dreading retirement. In fact, I think that while he likes the job, he could take it or leave it. He'd prefer to take it because he clearly loves the game and the culture, but if he had to retire he wouldn't be sad and/or desperate to get back in (unlike, say, Jerry Colangelo).

And you will never hear me complain if the Bills draft a top quality LT. He doesn't have to be Orlando Pace either. A LT in the range of Brad Hopkins or Tarik Glenn would be absolutely great imo. If you see one that you project to be in this caliber coming out this year, please let me know.

I guess we won't have a clue until we see what they do wrt Bell. I would LOVE to be wrong, but I don't think that Hairston has the total coordination to be a top quality LT. But, he might be a tremendous RT. Tough to say at this stage. What looks to be certain is that if Bell walks, LT is going to be a problem. And if he stays, how often will he be on the bench ala Jennings?

Bill, I know that I'm throwing raw meat before a starving dog, but if the Bills have the chance to take Claiborne over an average LT, you've gotta make that pick. The Bills defense is horrible, and good cornerbacks are incredibly valuable. It's why they go high. He won't be there, which makes this an academic discussion. But the Bills main problem for the past two seasons has been their absolutely terrible pass defense. And this is a team with two solid safeties! If there were a surefire DE to take, I'd of course advocate taking him. I don't think one will be there, however.

As for LT, why not overpay a tad and keep Bell? He's pretty talented and can play at a reasonably high level (when healthy, of course).