Fred Jackson to get screwed?

Rob's House

I just do not get the clamoring for Freddy to get a new contract NOW. He is under contract, and free agency is coming up. See what transpires in free agency and the draft, and then make appropriate decisions. Again, I want to see Freddy get a raise and he deserves a new contract..but that can be done in July..why does it have to happen today.

Now Stevie, there is an example of one that needs to be made quickly..his circumstances change come March..

Edited by plenzmd1

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard on the radio that the Bills have decided not to extend Jackson. A pretty sorry end to the greatest player story in football.

i call bullchit

somebody speculating on something they no absolutely nothing about.

here's what we do know:

#1- under contract thru 2012.

#2- best player on offense (by far).

#3- bills have already announced they will extend him.

#4- he's not going anywhere.

when healthy, Fred Jackson is without a doubt one of the best running backs in the NFL - and, he's quiet, a team player, a good no trouble off-the-field guy. This dude put up really good YPC numbers regardless of our line or offense, and with terrible QB's.

If the Bills don't want him, they should at least let him get healthy, show off he is healthy, and trade him for some value! That is my biggest criticism of Buddy Nix - he doesn't get the best value out of his players leaving, and he is stubborn about getting players via trades. There is a whole avenue of player potential gone to waste because he is "old school" or whatever, and doesn't want to make the trouble to figure out how to leverage his assets when he's got them.

i call bullchit

somebody speculating on something they no absolutely nothing about.

here's what we do know:

#1- under contract thru 2012.

#2- best player on offense (by far).

#3- bills have already announced they will extend him.

#4- he's not going anywhere.

Agree with all till #3. Most likely his contract will be extended by the Bills. I will add that even if the Bills don't, he will play at most one year under this contract after which he will be free to choose another team for a higher pay day. Worst case, the Bills trade him to another team that re-ups him starting in the 2012 season. Either way, FJax will not be 'screwed'. I, for one, hope he gets a new 3 year deal with the Bills.

The Bills said he'd be extended.

Front offices don't make those proclamations lightly as retreating from said proclamations really sends bad vibes through all the agents representing all the draft picks and free agents you've got to work with down the road.

A long term deal may not be practical, but extending one of your best players despite injury and age, does have payoff in the future with other agents. You get a reputation for leaving your injured players out in the cold, you'll find it real difficult next to impossible to resign and sign players.

The Bills said he'd be extended.

Front offices don't make those proclamations lightly as retreating from said proclamations really sends bad vibes through all the agents representing all the draft picks and free agents you've got to work with down the road.

A long term deal may not be practical, but extending one of your best players despite injury and age, does have payoff in the future with other agents. You get a reputation for leaving your injured players out in the cold, you'll find it real difficult next to impossible to resign and sign players.

If Nix said it will happen it will. Now Fred may not like what the Bills offer, but I'm certain the Bills will make an offer.

PTR

Watch Belichick pick up Fred and win Super Bowl with him.

Seriously though, I want Fred back. He's a stud and had an incredible season prior to injury.

OK, he's not a great RB, but I think he is a VERY good RB ... not just above average.

1 Bills Drive should move heaven and earth to re-sign him.

I just do not get the clamoring for Freddy to get a new contract NOW. He is under contract, and free agency is coming up. See what transpires in free agency and the draft, and then make appropriate decisions. Again, I want to see Freddy get a raise and he deserves a new contract..but that can be done in July..why does it have to happen today.

Now Stevie, there is an example of one that needs to be made quickly..his circumstances change come March..

Giving him an extension in July would be fine. The radio guy, who apparently covers a handful of teams and Buffalo is one of them, said they weren't going to extend him and were going to make him play out his contract. I can't speak to the guy's credibility b/c I don't know who he was. It was on ESPN 950 on a Saturday morning.

He has players in front of him still to be signed or not. If the team waits till almost camp to tend an offer i see nothing wrong with that. If he is healthy as before give our dawg the bone he earned.

Edited by 3rdand12

Second most yards from line of scrimmage in the NFL when he got hurt. But he's old! Dump him! CJ got 500 yards! Premier back!

Yes he is old, and a RB doesn't just slow down, they usually hit a wall. Shaun Alexander, edgerin James, and many many more RB's just hit a steep decline after great years the year before when they hit the 30 mark. So yes he was having a great season, but REALITY is that he is over 30 and coming off a broken leg. Only a foolish front office would give that him a big extension. It's not personal, its the right business move...not to mention Spiller (who's yardage totals you mocked but are about the worst indicator you can choose on him since he didn't play much until Fred got hurt...but you know that) showed why he was the 9th pick in the draft and his true potential. Extending Fred would not be a good move and it doesn't take rocket science to figure that out. I love Fred too, but this isn't about being a fan, it's about the reality of the situation and what is best for the organization.

I heard on the radio that the Bills have decided not to extend Jackson. A pretty sorry end to the greatest player story in football.

What radio show did you here it on ? I always say don't believe anything you don't here with your own two eyes :blink: or well you know what i'm saying !! I would like to look at the transcript to here it or see it for my self -- not that i don't trust your words but i don't trust your words :w00t: !!

So spill it where's it at ????

What radio show did you here it on ? I always say don't believe anything you don't here with your own two eyes :blink: or well you know what i'm saying !! I would like to look at the transcript to here it or see it for my self -- not that i don't trust your words but i don't trust your words :w00t: !!

So spill it where's it at ????

look 4 posts above yours. It was the 10am-11am time slot - Pro Football Weekly. I forget the name of the host but it's in one of my posts in the first 2-3 pages of the thread.

This just in ... Football is a business and this is not the end of his career or his story.

He is still under contract for next year. The Bills could still rework his last year and possibly even add to it. How about if they get a chance to see how the injury looks before they throw more money at him?

If Freddy is asking for too much then he will most likely not get an extension from Buffalo. He is 30+, injured, and we have Spiller on the roster ready for more touches.

If the Bills do not extend Jackson then he becomes a free agent and can shop his services. A real contender might be interested in Freddy. Since he is an excellent player he will have options.

This is not the end of his career so hold the melodrama please.

Buddy would trade Fred before failing to extend him. He knows Fred is worth at least a 3rd.

Not necessarily. Fred would be cheap next year and could produce like a top back like last year. If he leaves via Free Agency, he could be a Tier 1 player and could ultimately get us a 3rd or 4th rounder as a compensatory pick.

Yes he is old, and a RB doesn't just slow down, they usually hit a wall. Shaun Alexander, edgerin James, and many many more RB's just hit a steep decline after great years the year before when they hit the 30 mark. So yes he was having a great season, but REALITY is that he is over 30 and coming off a broken leg. Only a foolish front office would give that him a big extension. It's not personal, its the right business move...not to mention Spiller (who's yardage totals you mocked but are about the worst indicator you can choose on him since he didn't play much until Fred got hurt...but you know that) showed why he was the 9th pick in the draft and his true potential. Extending Fred would not be a good move and it doesn't take rocket science to figure that out. I love Fred too, but this isn't about being a fan, it's about the reality of the situation and what is best for the organization.

This where i differ sir. Being a fan is about the team not the buusiness side and winning super bowls. its about rooting for a team. knowing the players and hoping they succeed with us. You so correct about running a business such as NFL teams. But i am not an NFL fan. I am a buffalo bill fan and i see Fred as a core player for our Team.

I am not critizing any one here at all. But that is how i feel about the matter. Some say.. i am so done with this team if they....***. Well if we dumped Fred right now we might as well be the Patriots. And i loathe them for their seeming lack of loyalty to each other.

Because there is a lot of projecting with CJ. Fred is a proven asset.

I think Spiller showed enough towards the end of the season that he could be the man. His explosiveness and playmaking ability was quite impressive and remember, he would of had another 40-50 yard touchdown run if it wasnt for that stupid penalty that had no impact on the play. Ideally I'd like see FJ extended, but I believe they are taking the right approach, there is no real hurry to extend him now, there is another year left on his contract. If anything, if he continues to play well (FJ) he could be in line for a decent contract as a FA.

Lets not overreact, he will most likely get extended before the season end, barring injury.

This where i differ sir. Being a fan is about the team not the buusiness side and winning super bowls. its about rooting for a team. knowing the players and hoping they succeed with us. You so correct about running a business such as NFL teams. But i am not an NFL fan. I am a buffalo bill fan and i see Fred as a core player for our Team.

I am not critizing any one here at all. But that is how i feel about the matter. Some say.. i am so done with this team if they....***. Well if we dumped Fred right now we might as well be the Patriots. And i loathe them for their seeming lack of loyalty to each other.

Who is talking about dumping him? I mean where did you get that from because this isn't even the topic of this thread? He is under contract for another year...this is about whether to give him a big extension at 30 coming off a broken leg at a time that even the greatest running backs in history have seen a steep decline in their production around this age. You don't give RB's at his age coming off a major injury a large and long contract extension. Yes, we all love FJ, I dont think there is a single member of this board who doesn't love FJ.

But the FACTS are: He is over 30...coming off a broken leg...has an explosive young player in the making behind him ready to carry a bigger load for this team (who makes quite a bit already)...and is under contract for another year. Hell, Indy is going to likely part with Manning (one of the greatest of all time and likely still has a few good years left) as his contract number is too big with a young stud likely coming in Luck. Its the NFL, you don't extend players into bigger contracts when they are already under contract and at the tail end of their high production years.

So, like everyone else, I am a big FJ and glad he is on this team...however, unfortunately I don't see a large raise for him...at best, they tear his contract up and do a 2 year one starting this next season with a modest pay raise, but that's not even a sure thing.