Fitz: Team wasn't ready to be successful

Beerball

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BS I think. Also says stability will help team. I guess that's our buzz word this off season...stability.

link

Its not a buzz word, its what Football Outsiders has shown is one of the most important traits of teams that win over the long run...

I don't see where Fitz's quotes are any different than the things Kelly said back in 1986 when he thought that the Bills needed to "learn how to win." Lots of guys on that team used to say the same thing. It's part of the maturation process of a young team. I don't see any problem at all with Fitz's assessment.

GO BILLS!!!

I see some differences. Kelly and that Bills team had swagger. They truly were maturing. You knew they were headed for good things. Of course then came the bickering Bills another part of maturing.

This team is playing scared, hurt, and with a total lack of confidence. Plus missing a lot of talent yet to be found. Fitz really doesn't have any receivers worth a crap even signed for him next year. What young team is maturing? He will be 30 next season. We have one of the worst defenses in the league. I see those remarks a little shocking to come from the guy. What would happen if he ever made the playoffs, it would be another excuse to pull out this wimp mentality.

I see some differences. Kelly and that Bills team had swagger. They truly were maturing. You knew they were headed for good things. Of course then came the bickering Bills another part of maturing.

This team is playing scared, hurt, and with a total lack of confidence. Plus missing a lot of talent yet to be found. Fitz really doesn't have any receivers worth a crap even signed for him next year. What young team is maturing? He will be 30 next season. We have one of the worst defenses in the league. I see those remarks a little shocking to come from the guy. What would happen if he ever made the playoffs, it would be another excuse to pull out this wimp mentality.

You call the guy that tries to hit Ray lewis a wimp? Got it

Its not a buzz word, its what Football Outsiders has shown is one of the most important traits of teams that win over the long run...

Well, in that case a team with the same owner for the past 50 years must have something to show for its efforts.

Isn't it funny how people call Fitzpatrick, Fitzgerald, all the time? Or is it just sad? They got his name right, at first, but towards the end they called him Fitzgerald. What gives?

Oh it happens all the time. No matter how often I tell people my first name is Jim they still call me ****.

Differences in the teams? There were some. Differences in how each QB viewed the maturation process of his respective teams? No. Nothing shocking about his comments at all. That 1986 team went through stretches of playing hurt and without confidence as well as being several pieces away from being a contender. They didn't have much swagger in 1986 and suffered an in-season coaching change to boot. That team was messed up on a lot of levels.

What would happen if he ever made the playoffs? I'd just as soon find out rather than make some inane comment just to suit an agenda.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

So i read this as Fitz couldn't handle a big contract once he got it and put to much pressure on himself.

Fitz needs just to cut down on forcing the ball when it not there. I think he will be alright if he just takes what the D is giving him.

Chan can take some of the pressure off of him by running the ball more and he has Fred and CJ to help him do just that.

This team's confidence was too easily shattered after that first Jets loss at RWS. After that setback, they should have been able to stay close to Dallas and beat the Dolphins, but both of those games were blowout loses. You could tell that as a group they had given up. It was as dramatic a difference to the team brimming with confidence a few short weeks earlier as you could get.

It turned out that Ladanian Thomlinson was right, the 2011 Bills were a soft team. They had the talent to be in contention for the wildcard, but they didn't have the mental toughness to get over that Jet loss.

I really hope that the player they pick in the first round this year not only has the talent worthy of the #10 pick, but will be a hard-as-nails vocal leader type. Too many "quite leader" types here.

This strikes me as the type of thing a smart player (or coach or GM) says as a cover story for the real, technical reasons for losses. Could be scheme deficiencies, talent deficiencies, or coaching, but rarely will you ever hear a team spokesperson cite those things.

This ^^^

Or like in the case of the Bills this past season, all of the above.

This ^^^

Or like in the case of the Bills this past season, all of the above.

That's BS. This team was 5-2 and could have easily been 7-0. They beat the Patriots. They should have beaten the Giants. Both Superbowl teams taken to the mat by the 2011 Bills.

Mental toughness had much more to do with the collapse than scheme, talent and coaching.

That's BS. This team was 5-2 and could have easily been 7-0. They beat the Patriots. They should have beaten the Giants. Both Superbowl teams taken to the mat by the 2011 Bills.

Mental toughness had much more to do with the collapse than scheme, talent and coaching.

"Mental toughness" is 100% BS and is generally a losers excuse after the fact, in my opinion anyway.

Edited by CodeMonkey

This in a nutshell is exactly the problem with this team. They don't believe they can win. They are not mentally tough. They lost so many close games this year because they expected to lose. That is why Fitz isn't the guy. He should never, ever allow his teammates to have that mentality. What Fitz said is exactly what I suspected. As long as he is the QB of this team, they will continue to lose close winnable games. It shouldn't take years of learning to believe you can win football games. If you don't have that mentality already, you never will.

"Mental toughness" is 100% BS and is generally a losers excuse after the fact, in my opinion anyway.

I think blaming it on "scheme, talent and coaching" is a loser's excuse.

This team was soft mentally. You saw how bad the Jets, Dallas and the Dolphins were this season...yet our team was actually intimidated by them.

That's not "scheme, talent and coaching," that's being mentally soft. They showed early in the season that they had the talent, but when the Jets punched them in the mouth they went into the fetal position for three weeks.

Fitz says "we're hoping that that stability really helps us" = Please don't cut me

Is stability on a team not ready to handle success a good thing? Mentality in sports is very difficult to change. On that note how is a professional athlete not ready to handle success? What are they working for? Imo you practice and train your butt off to be successful, and when that happens they don't know how to handle it? That is a very scary indictment of the team and the team leaders.

On an aside did anyone see the comment below the article from a niners fan "what's up with stevie johnson? any word.. us niners will take him if you bills can't handle a young star!" talk to your friends who aren't Bills fans and this is a pretty common sentiment among NFL fans. He is going to be a commodity on the fa market - hope the Bills sign him! (Then I wont have to buy ANOTHER jersey lol)