Bell

jcbillsfan

Signing Bell to a long term contract might be the smart Move. Why ?

1 he has cleary improved , when healty he has shown to be above average , with a high ceiling

2 injuries are part of football , Left tackles seem to miss several games a year.

3 They will never be in a better bargining postion to lock him up long term . Left tackles cost big bucks , to get a good one at a reduced rate is a sweet thinga

4 bell, pears , hariston at tackle puts that position in the solid catagory for the next few years

thoughts?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All I know is that we can't keep developing left tackles and then letting them go elsewhere. Sooner or later we need to solifidy the spot. I can't imagine Bell will demand huge money, although you never know nowadays...but if they don't make a legit effort at keeping him, that makes no sense to me. If they feel hairston is the better prospect on the left side, they better hope that he continues to improve cause I think he's better suited for the right.

i believe no matter what they do with Bell, they will use their first round pick on one of the three Left Tackles considered Top 10.

Sadly this would be like the Bills .... Let a top LT go in his prime ... Develop another who had flashes of promise .... Say the rookie you have on the roster showed good things when thrown into the fire .... Use a high draft pick to select another when you have many talent holes to fill. Long term QB situation and pass rushing LB or DE are far more critical needs. The Bills would be wise to resign Bell, assuming the price is right, and fill other holes in the roster. Bell and Levitre were having monster games until injury bug hit.

All I know is that we can't keep developing left tackles and then letting them go elsewhere. Sooner or later we need to solifidy the spot. I can't imagine Bell will demand huge money, although you never know nowadays...but if they don't make a legit effort at keeping him, that makes no sense to me. If they feel hairston is the better prospect on the left side, they better hope that he continues to improve cause I think he's better suited for the right.

+1. This.

Sadly this would be like the Bills .... Let a top LT go in his prime ... Develop another who had flashes of promise .... Say the rookie you have on the roster showed good things when thrown into the fire .... Use a high draft pick to select another when you have many talent holes to fill. Long term QB situation and pass rushing LB or DE are far more critical needs. The Bills would be wise to resign Bell, assuming the price is right, and fill other holes in the roster. Bell and Levitre were having monster games until injury bug hit.

Bell will be employed next year for sure, hopefully by the Bills. He might as well wait for FA at this point though, see what the market bears for his services.

i believe no matter what they do with Bell, they will use their first round pick on one of the three Left Tackles considered Top 10.

I can't see signing bell and takig a left tackle that high.

the need for fron seven defense help doesn't give them the luxury of having two talented left tackles

This would be good if one of them was also clearly the BPA. I know we need a pass rusher like crazy but we have to stop reaching with the first pick and use it to add Pro Bowl caliber talent.

The Bills have a lot invested in his development and he has shown steady improvement. I don't think it's a lock that he doesn't have perceived value throughout the league and he may not come as cheap as we'd like to think. The worst thing about Bell is that he is not Jason Peters and many will never give him his due because of that it seems.

GO BILLS!!!

It's hard for people to admit it, but Bell is turning into a good LT. In the new NFL, he is the perfect LT because he is agile enough to handle the speed rushers. His biggest problem is his strength at times and that has been hurt by his injuries, which makes paying him tough.

I hope the Bills re-sign him because he has so much potential. But the injuries make him so tough to evaluate. But he has been a complete pro here and it would be a shame to develop the guy and see him turn into a good starter for another team.

I agree that we should use his injury history as a bargaining chip . If nothing else if we can get him to stay he would be a quality depth player at that position which the team is in desperate need of depth ..

I think we should at least match or slightly out do any bid that comes along to keep him in with the Bills !!!! Good post !!!

We need defence. How about we go after Maybin. He made great strides with the Jets. Only signed a one year contract. Only kidding. But Bell and Hairasten have proven they can play in this league. Need pass rushers. Were going back to a 4-3 I bet and now we need to rush the quaterback. I really don't think this defence is that far away.

Signing Bell to a long term contract might be the smart Move. Why ?

1 he has cleary improved , when healty he has shown to be above average , with a high ceiling

2 injuries are part of football , Left tackles seem to miss several games a year.

3 They will never be in a better bargining postion to lock him up long term . Left tackles cost big bucks , to get a good one at a reduced rate is a sweet thinga

4 bell, pears , hariston at tackle puts that position in the solid catagory for the next few years

thoughts?

BWhhaHAHahAHahaHAahAHahAHaHA....DUDE that was so funny I spit out my drink. Lock up a LT made of china who hasn't been able to stay healthy or hold of a 4th round pick rookie?

All I know is that we can't keep developing left tackles

That's "plural". What left tackles have the Bills developed. One that I know of, Peters. Bell? What has he developed into? I mean, he ain't even average.

The beginning th believe Bills fans have bought into the "dare to be adequate" mentatlity that pervades OBD.

The truth is, it worked with Jennings. He was better than Bell, but he couldn't stay healthy. The 49ers gave him more than 40 million and he was the same way in SF.

I am not his doctor or his trainer, but he is small for a LT and is constantly hurt. He is quick and agile; I have never disputed this. But can his body stand up to NFL competetion? I don't know, but Bills management needs to guess right. And btw Wood is clearly another question mark.

It's hard for people to admit it, but Bell is turning into a good LT. In the new NFL, he is the perfect LT because he is agile enough to handle the speed rushers. His biggest problem is his strength at times and that has been hurt by his injuries, which makes paying him tough.

I hope the Bills re-sign him because he has so much potential. But the injuries make him so tough to evaluate. But he has been a complete pro here and it would be a shame to develop the guy and see him turn into a good starter for another team.

He is far from perfect. He, at his best, is not as strong as the average LT in this league. Good? Sure. Perfect? I think that you didn't really mean this.

Edited by Bill from NYC

That's "plural". What left tackles have the Bills developed. One that I know of, Peters. Bell? What has he developed into? I mean, he ain't even average.

The beginning th believe Bills fans have bought into the "dare to be adequate" mentatlity that pervades OBD.

Yes, since 2004 we've focused on developing two left tackles - Peters and Bell. Peters was an UDFA and Bell a 7th round pick. If you don't understand how Bell has developed into an above average player over the past few years, I don't know what to tell you...