Report: Indy Colts' short list for new GM includes ...

merlin

PTR, heard Mortenson, IIRC (or perhaps Schefter) kind of say the same thing...Indy owner was kind of feeling like Polian was getting a little "too comfortable" as king of the castle, wasn't particularly pleasent toward the owner. Whoever it was, (Mort or Schefter) kind of compared the situation to Bowlan and Shannahan in Denver...the team was kind of bottoming out, and the owner just said "okay, I want my team back". Also heard tha Polian was saying things to the media, about Manning, that weren't true...issues such as failing a physical, and talking with Manning about how he would feel about the Colts drafting Luck...Payton denies that he took a physical, and is confident he would pass one (fwiw), and also says he and Polian never spoke about drafting Luck, or any other QB for that matter. I am not clear as to whether Polian was leaing toward keeping, or letting Manning go.

I suppose, at 2-14, with the first pick in the draft, it would be as good a time as there would be, to make a change.

From what I read, Manning was shocked when he heard Polian was canned. he had not heard about it before it was made public. I guess what I'm saying is Manning and Polian were kind of close. Is that true?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I read, Manning was shocked when he heard Polian was canned. he had not heard about it before it was made public. I guess what I'm saying is Manning and Polian were kind of close. Is that true?

Honestly, I am not sure...I assume they were, just as I am assuming Manning would be considered close to Irsay. From the short statement that Irsay made about Polians' dismissal, it kind of sounded, to me anyways, that they were at odds about something...I would assume it would be, what to do with Manning. Irsay said something to the effect of "we will do whatever it takes to make this team competitive for years to come"...that implies (only implies) to me that they are set on taking Luck. I could see Polian (again, me just speculating) seeing the trading of Manning as a potential blockbuster for the franchise...maybe Irsay doesn't want to see Manning go? Also, I have heard more than once this season, that Chris Polian is not ready to be a GM.

Edited by Buftex

Let Whaley walk, bring in Antonio Perez. He'll be looking for a job shortly and he's got a proven track record of dismal failure. Why take a chance on a guy that we're not even sure sucks yet when we know Perez can run this thing into the ground?

LOL

Honestly, I am not sure...I am sure they were, just as I am sure Manning would be considered close to Irsay. From the short statement that Irsay made about Polians' dismissal, it kind of sounded, to me anyways, that they were at odds about something...I would assume it would be, what to do with Manning. Irsay said something to the effect of "we will do whatever it takes to make this team competitive for years to come"...that implies (only implies) to me that they are set on taking Luck. I could see Polian (again, me just speculating) seeing the trading of Manning as a potential blockbuster for the franchise...maybe Irsay doesn't want to see Manning go? Also, I have heard more than once this season, that Chris Polian is not ready to be a GM.

Makes sense. I also heard the same about Chris Polian. I was suspect from the beginning that it would even work out. I met Bill Polian right after he was canned in Buffalo. I believe he was walking out of a tennis club and i was walking in. I thanked him for what he had done for the Bills. he said that meant a lot to him. Whether it did or not, I always liked the guy.

Apparently they were VERY close...

I plucked this part from an ESPN article yesterday;

"I used to think nobody hated losing more than I did or was more miserable after a loss. I decided it was a tie between me and Bill," Manning told (Chris) Mortensen. "And I stay in the building pretty late and he was always here working, too. Personally, my goodness, so many thoughts. He was one of the last guys to leave my wedding with Ashley (his wife). This is very, very tough."

Isn't Peyton very close with Isray as well? Tough to say what it means. I, for one, don't really care. I just don't understand why Nix is the GM if Whaley is so well thought of. If the only way to get Whaley on board was to bring on Nix, maybe thats it. But who knows. Again, we have the worst ownership in the league. Anything is possible.

LOL @ Pierre Garcon being remotely relevant without Manning.

And just what kind of numbers do you think Wayne and Clark would have put up with Fitz at the helm? I'm curious.

Also, we've seen other Colts quarterbacks play behind that offensive line, and anyone not named Manning made them look...well...offensive. And yes, those ensembles included Jeff "nobody drafted me and even the first team to pick me up cut me and I spent my first year on the bench, but that was almost 15 years ago so nobody remembers, oh did I mention I turn 37 in June" Saturday.

But to your point, yes 2 DE's, both over 30, should have been more than enough talent to carry the Colts this year. :w00t:

Pierre Garcon stat line w/o Manning in 2011: 70 reception, 947 yards, 6 TD's. It's actually a better season without Manning in 2010 when we went for 67-784-6.

To make the assumption the Colts were completely dependent on P. Manning for their entire success is short-sighted. He compensated for a staff led by a HC who was 26-63 at Wake Forest and had not been a HC at other than that experience and 2 years with the Colts.

Pierre Garcon stat line w/o Manning in 2011: 70 reception, 947 yards, 6 TD's. It's actually a better season without Manning in 2010 when we went for 67-784-6.

To make the assumption the Colts were completely dependent on P. Manning for their entire success is short-sighted. He compensated for a staff led by a HC who was 26-63 at Wake Forest and had not been a HC at other than that experience and 2 years with the Colts.

So because he single-handedly accounted for AN ENTIRE coaching staff, we should NOT assume the Colts were dependent on Manning? :wacko:

Edited by The Big Cat

What is your point here? OFten, when backup QBs play, they are more comfortable throwing to 2nd string receiver. It is a huge reason why Stevie Johnson blown up when Fitz became the starter.

The Pats went 11-5 the year without Brady. The Texans managed to make the playoffs without their top 2 QBs. The Packers replaced a HOF QB and didn't miss a beat. Manning gets hurt and the Colts win 2 games. I don't see how anyone can argue that they aren't a one person team.

I would hope that Whaley might stay and complete what he has started !! The only way he leaves is if he has seen to much interference from Ralph or if the rumor that Nix will retire isn't really true .

If Nix is indeed going to retire i would think that Whaley being as close in position & working proximity to Nix as he is would already know if Buddy is indeed going to call it quits , so i can't see that happening just yet .

Who knows if Ralph doesn't still have a hard on for Pollian & Nix leaves & the Colts then do take Whaley maybe then Ralph would ask Pollian to come back but that is in a fantasy league of it's own 0:) !!!!!

Interesting. If I were Whaley, I would bolt. You get the #1 overall pick in the draft, and a chance to hire your own coach and make a mark on the organization. Plus, Indy is a nice city to live in.

It's a GM dream job.

Hhmm. My impressions of Indy are that it is boring and bland.

If Whaley is realy a candidate for the Indy job we are in trouble and maybe that adds creedence to the Buddy Nix retirement rumor.

Amazingly, we may be seeing a case of 'history repeating itself' here -

Indy columnist suggests Polian’s rudeness played role in firing

I believe it was Polian's rudeness and foul language that got him fired here in Buffalo.

I remember pretty clearly why he was fired here: He fought constantly with Jeff Littman. This is pre-internet, but I also clearly remember a Sports Illustrated article that cited the usual "unnamed sources", which said that the Bills' organization was like two armed camps: The Polian camp in Buffalo, and the Littman camp in Detroit. Eventually something had to give, and since Littman is Ralph's CFO for all of his businesses, Ralph had to pick between the two because Polian refused to compromise.

Sounds like something similar was happening in Indy.

Interesting. If I were Whaley, I would bolt. You get the #1 overall pick in the draft, and a chance to hire your own coach and make a mark on the organization. Plus, Indy is a nice city to live in.

It's a GM dream job.

Yep. Whaley should take it. Now. That's what Bills people do. Learn the job with the Bills, then get the Hell out and go to a real franchise..

Hhmm. My impressions of Indy are that it is boring and bland.

If Whaley is realy a candidate for the Indy job we are in trouble and maybe that adds creedence to the Buddy Nix retirement rumor.

Boring and Bland is the essence of Buffalo. So, all things being equal , you go with the team with the #1 pick and carte blanche to build it your way.

Your reputation precedes itself. Some notable posters at their finest here. Some, not so much. Amazing how, despite 16 wins in 3 seasons, the song remains the same.

Coward Gate/May 2009 TBD threadt

Yeah, I'm still a very firm believer that a quarterback can make all the difference.

Just like I believed in 2009 that TRENT was the reason our offense looked so incredibly terrible. I argued tooth and nail then that Trent was fundamentally flawed, to such a debilitating extent that he--NOT COACHING--was losing us games.

I'm now saying the applies to winning and Manning.

Why did you link to that thread?