Maybin's last four games

BRH

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First round MAYBE....ahead of Orakpo? HELL NO!!!! Jauron and the front office should have been fired on that alone.

:thumbsup:

At some point, I have moved through the stages of grief over Aaron Maybin, and my anger has now just turned to pity and feeling sorry for the poor guy.

He seems like a good kid, it wasn't his fault the BIlls were just stupid. For him, I hope he sticks somewhere and has a productive NFL career--he will unfortunately always carry the stigma of being a 1st round bust. But the point is, he should not have been labeled, or selected, as a 1st round pick. He will forever (on this board at least) be the poster child for "One HIt Wonder" (accept of course, he never had any hits in Buffalo).

Edited by CSBill

Aaron Maybin in crunch time:

Two tackles. Zero sacks. Zero forced fumbles.

Finished the season with fewer tackles than he had in his rookie season in Buffalo.

Maybin isn't a full time LB...actually he isn't really a LB at all...He is basically a situational blitzing DB, the way the Jets used him. Roman harper, a safety had 7.5 sacks this year...doesn't mean he could play defensive end or LB, it just means he blitzed a lot....

Maybin sucks as a LB or DE, not much more to it...

:thumbsup:

At some point, I have moved through the stages of grief over Aaron Maybin, and my anger has now just turned to pity and feeling sorry for the poor guy.

He seems like a good kid, it wasn't his fault the BIlls were just stupid. For him, I hope he sticks somewhere and has a productive NFL career--he will unfortunately always carry the stigma of being a 1st round bust. But the point is, he should not have been labeled, or selected, as a 1st round pick. He will forever (on this board at least) be the poster child for "One HIt Wonder" (accept of course, he never had any hits in Buffalo).

He did have one hit....

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/NFL-s-worst-player-Aaron-Maybin-releases-awf?urn=nfl-284572

Look, any fan can tell Maybin is NOT a legit LB. He's benefitting in Rex's system, where offenses are more worried about Bart Scott, Jim Leonard and Calvin Pace on throwing down's. One positive Maybin has is his motor - he doesn't give up, which is why he caused the fumbles he did - he chased down QB's or was able to get to them when they were driven into his path by the rest of the Jet pass rush.

He was drafted to be THE guy - he never will be THAT guy. So the Bills cut him. End of story. No regrets!!

Bingo his stats came from plays that took way to long to develop. He would get pushed 20 yards down field and then he would run back up the field. If the QB hadn't got rid of the ball yet he got his sack. Or the QB trying to run out of bounds. His stats are really just the equivilent of garbage time stats.

Edited by Fan in San Diego

But he did generate QB pressure much more than any of the Bills' designated pass rushers. Ryan was wise to line him up all over the DL and at times he got the mismatches against the blockers. Now granted, it was mostly when he was singled up and there's no saying he would also get one on one blocking in Buffalo, but in that limited role, he served his job.

The real issue is that he was cut immediately after the Chicago preseason embarrassment. So the question is, did he get cut because everyone tired of his antics or did Bills really believe that it was more worthwhile developing somebody like Batten or Eddins, who may never really contribute.

Don't bother.

WEO will dig up the article published during Mayhem's first training camp which discusses how Maybin is expected to be a situational pass rusher in his rookie season. Nowhere does this or any other article suggest that he was drafted solely to be a situational pass rusher. Common sense suggests that you don't draft a role player 11th overall. WEO's response will be something to effect of how the Bills did exactly that because they're incompetent.

Just trying to save us all some time.

Hysterical - :lol: - Thanks for the tip!!!

Maybin isn't a full time LB...actually he isn't really a LB at all...He is basically a situational blitzing DB, the way the Jets used him. Roman harper, a safety had 7.5 sacks this year...doesn't mean he could play defensive end or LB, it just means he blitzed a lot....

Maybin sucks as a LB or DE, not much more to it...

To anyone that watched the sacks, Which I saw 4 of them, can see this. Not to mention they were coverage sacks on broken down plays where Maybin was first easily blocked then tracked down the QB as they were trying to scramble.

Does anyone have the Sack Yardage on his sacks. I doubt it was more than 3 yards a sack. 2 were about a half a yard from the LOS.

To anyone that only saw the stats on MOnday they thought, "WTF!!! Why did we cut this guy!!!"

Edited by Why So Serious?

The real issue is that he was cut immediately after the Chicago preseason embarrassment. So the question is, did he get cut because everyone tired of his antics or did Bills really believe that it was more worthwhile developing somebody like Batten or Eddins, who may never really contribute.

He got cut because he stunk. And guess what? The Jets cut him too. After they lost 2 other OLBs for the season they got desperate and brought him back. There's a pretty good chance he'll get cut this year as well.

So all he did for the year was have more sacks and more forced fumbles than ANY BUFFALO BILL DEFENDER? Ya, man does he suck! We should be glad we got rid of him.

The diff is we were paying him millions while the jets gave him minimum. He wasn't and still isn't worth it.

He won't be on the Jets next year.

PTR

Is that because he isn't under contract with the Jets next year and some other team will pay him more money? Bc Maybin demonstrated that he belongs in the NFL, as much as I hate to say it. Will his success continue? I don't know.

By the way, his stats weren't as impressive down the stretch, but I watched him play and he didn't fair too badly.

Is that because he isn't under contract with the Jets next year and some other team will pay him more money? Bc Maybin demonstrated that he belongs in the NFL, as much as I hate to say it. Will his success continue? I don't know.

By the way, his stats weren't as impressive down the stretch, but I watched him play and he didn't fair too badly.

He did fair badly.

he even faired badly when he got his gift sacks.

I question that you watched him play or that you know what good LB play looks like, after all you're a Bills fan you haven't seen good LB play for atleast 5 years.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I don't care if Maybin breaks Bruce's sack record, I will never fault the Bills for cutting him. If he really turns it around*, good for him. He's a little brash, but otherwise a good guy and a hard worker, and I bear him no ill will. But there's no way he ever would've figured it out with the Bills. Better for both sides to part ways.

*Personally, I agree with the many who think his sacks for the Jets are basically a fluke. Rex Ryan's excellent at designing erotic blitzes, and Maybin is pretty fast, especially when he rushes against the slower RTs of the league. Put those together, add in the fact that the Jets have other guys the O needs to worry about before Maybin, and you get a handful of sacks. Good job by Ryan of utilizing the skills of his player. Doesn't mean he'll develop into something more, and definitely doesn't mean that he could've had similar success with the Bills.

Too small, too weak, too selfish (his camp holdout was a joke. Maybe he needed to clean the steroids out of his system that he used to add 30 pounds for the combine) You know, the weight that he lost right after the draft and miraculously can't add now because "my metabolism is too fast" according to him....

con man. Sorry but I don't wish him well at all because I think he misrepresented himself to my favorite team in all of sports and set us back a full year in the draft. I'm not a conspiracy guy but I'm not an idiot either, that dude was juicing for the combine, which is when he rose in the draft boards and edged out Orakpo on our board--A legitimate pro bowl pass rusher that we now have to burn our 1st round pick on THIS year and will be lucky if we get someone as good as big Brian.

I was dying laughing when he was on Rome saying "now the Bills have to face ME twice a year......" the guy actually thinks he's legitimate.

Yikes

Rex Ryan's excellent at designing erotic blitzes, and Maybin is pretty fast, especially when he rushes against the slower RTs of the league.

BTW, some of those foot fetish videos that the Ryan's put up on YouTube featured a young black man.

It wasn't Maybin but the guy did look like an undersized linebacker.

Don't bother.

WEO will dig up the article published during Mayhem's first training camp which discusses how Maybin is expected to be a situational pass rusher in his rookie season. Nowhere does this or any other article suggest that he was drafted solely to be a situational pass rusher. Common sense suggests that you don't draft a role player 11th overall. WEO's response will be something to effect of how the Bills did exactly that because they're incompetent.

Just trying to save us all some time.

I'd argue that not all situational pass rushers are created equal. For example, Simeon Rice was a DE drafted 3rd overall by the Cardinals. He didn't live up to their expectations, was released, and was signed by the Tampa Bay Bucs. He was a situational pass rusher for the Bucs, and was an important part of the defense that helped the Bucs of 2002 win the Super Bowl. John Madden even wanted to make him Super Bowl MVP, on the theory that the Bucs' defensive line as a whole was the unit most responsible for their win, and Rice had played the best of any player on that line.

Simeon Rice was valuable as a situational pass rusher because they lined him up as a defensive end, and asked him to quickly win one-on-one battles against offensive linemen. (Which he did.) That's very different from a guy who will lose his battles with offensive linemen--such as Maybin--but who still gets sacks anyway due to the design of the play. I find it very easy to believe that all Maybin's sacks have come on plays which have lasted five seconds or more. Clearly, a situational pass rusher who causes the pass rush to arrive in 2 - 3 seconds--such as Simeon Rice--is much more valuable than a situational pass rusher who requires a minimum of five seconds to get to the quarterback!