Maybin's last four games

BRH

I'd argue that not all situational pass rushers are created equal. For example, Simeon Rice was a DE drafted 3rd overall by the Cardinals. He didn't live up to their expectations, was released, and was signed by the Tampa Bay Bucs. He was a situational pass rusher for the Bucs, and was an important part of the defense that helped the Bucs of 2002 win the Super Bowl. John Madden even wanted to make him Super Bowl MVP, on the theory that the Bucs' defensive line as a whole was the unit most responsible for their win, and Rice had played the best of any player on that line.

Simeon Rice was valuable as a situational pass rusher because they lined him up as a defensive end, and asked him to quickly win one-on-one battles against offensive linemen. (Which he did.) That's very different from a guy who will lose his battles with offensive linemen--such as Maybin--but who still gets sacks anyway due to the design of the play. I find it very easy to believe that all Maybin's sacks have come on plays which have lasted five seconds or more. Clearly, a situational pass rusher who causes the pass rush to arrive in 2 - 3 seconds--such as Simeon Rice--is much more valuable than a situational pass rusher who requires a minimum of five seconds to get to the quarterback!

Simeon Rice was a legitimate starter and every down DE in the league for most of his career. There was nothing situational about him.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty sad that Maybin out performed most of our defenders in certain key statistical measures. I think it speaks to our lack of talent development and coaching.

That being said... Maybin wouldn't be playing at that level on our squad.

And I believe the truth behind the OP is that he was no longer playing at that level on the Jets either.

My guess is teams have figured out his (severe) limitations and solved whatever scheming the Jets were doing with him.

So, as the previous poster said - he'll probably be off the team next year.

Too small, too weak, too selfish (his camp holdout was a joke. Maybe he needed to clean the steroids out of his system that he used to add 30 pounds for the combine) You know, the weight that he lost right after the draft and miraculously can't add now because "my metabolism is too fast" according to him....

con man. Sorry but I don't wish him well at all because I think he misrepresented himself to my favorite team in all of sports and set us back a full year in the draft. I'm not a conspiracy guy but I'm not an idiot either, that dude was juicing for the combine, which is when he rose in the draft boards and edged out Orakpo on our board--A legitimate pro bowl pass rusher that we now have to burn our 1st round pick on THIS year and will be lucky if we get someone as good as big Brian.

I was dying laughing when he was on Rome saying "now the Bills have to face ME twice a year......" the guy actually thinks he's legitimate.

Yikes

I had never considered this aspect of his holdout. Yikes indeed.