Would you have been drafted?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#364 so I would not of been, + I was not even born at the time.

If you think about it my generation is the first generation not to have to serve their country. My dad & all my friends dad's were drafted, my grandfather's both served. The age group now of 35-45 year old people are the first that did not have to go thru a draft. I guess we lucked out but in the same sense I don't think my generation has as much appreciation & allegiance to our country as the older generations do. Kind of sad actually when you think about it.

If you think about it my generation is the first generation not to have to serve their country. My dad & all my friends dad's were drafted, my grandfather's both served. The age group now of 35-45 year old people are the first that did not have to go thru a draft. I guess we lucked out but in the same sense I don't think my generation has as much appreciation & allegiance to our country as the older generations do. Kind of sad actually when you think about it.

. ...um not right, I am 52 and didn't even have to register for the draft. I lived in Korea and now reside in Thailand and everyone has duty in both places. I wouldn't have liked growing up with that prospect to be honest.

My birthday is March 8.

In the fall of 1971, when I would have been involved in this

'lottery' I was in college. In the dorm, we had a $$ pool and

the closest guy won the $$.

Ball #1 was March 6 (whew, close)

Ball #2 was March 7...I am thinking

there is no way that March 8 will be #3.

And it wasn't, it was 158 or so.

The guy who won the jackpot had a March 6 birthday

but never got drafted.

Funny how this kind of stuff is remembered.

Number 172.

I was going through some boxes of old stuff and found my selective service card the other week. I don't believe I need to hang onto it now since it's over 20 years old.

You'd be surprised. I had to submit to a background check for some work at the U.S. Mint and one of the questions on the form was what was my Selective Service number - my first thought was "how the &^*%! do I know - that was 25 years ago". Fortunately there is a website where you can get your number - damned if I was going to find I card I had in my wallet from 25 years ago......

. ...um not right, I am 52 and didn't even have to register for the draft. I lived in Korea and now reside in Thailand and everyone has duty in both places. I wouldn't have liked growing up with that prospect to be honest.

No true. I'm 50 and I had to register when I turned 18.

#65 here. I would of probably been killed fighting an asinine war predicated on a fictional incident (Gulf of Tonkin).

Don't think of it that way. Think of it as backpacking in a foreign land with a permissive drug culture on the government dime.

Sounds right up your alley, when you put it that way.

Don't think of it that way. Think of it as backpacking in a foreign land with a permissive drug culture on the government dime.

Sounds right up your alley, when you put it that way.

I did consider that and Vietnam has been high on my travel wish list. Nothing like Banh Mi with some Chicken Pho. And I really dig Asian girls, so it would not of been all pointlessly killing people for some silly reason

So true.

Edited by John Cocktosten

I pulled #360 - and the draft was going strong at the time. My brother pulled #47, but he was the last year that had the college student deferment allowed!

Pins and needles on that draft day!!

My buddy sent me the draft grid for the Vietnam War. I can't even imagine the feeling that people must have had watching the birth dates being called live on TV. Btw, 1-195 went. I would have been one of the lucky ones. U?

Story:

http://www.historyne...-night-1969.htm

Grid:

http://www.historyne...terynumbers.pdf