Donte Whitner

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Niners have 4 defensive players voted as starters in the Pro Bowl… Carlos Rogers, Justin Smith, Patrick Willis, and Dashon Goldson.

Besides Whitner, they have 3 other defenders who were voted as alternates… Navorro Bowman, Ahmad Brooks, and Ray McDonald.

On top of that they have prize rookie Aldon Smith (14 sacks) who won't be going to the Pro Bowl and a bunch of other solid defenders like Isaac Sopoaga and Parys Haralson.

One thing is pretty clear… Donte has a much better supporting cast than he did in Buffalo.

It's fair to say that like Jim Leonhard, Whitner can thrive on a good defensive team.

I think it's pretty clear also that he's not a difference maker on a weak defensive team.

Also interesting is how many of those guys were free agents...

The Niners have 4 defensive players voted as starters in the Pro Bowl… Carlos Rogers, Justin Smith, Patrick Willis, and Dashon Goldson.

Besides Whitner, they have 3 other defenders who were voted as alternates… Navorro Bowman, Ahmad Brooks, and Ray McDonald.

On top of that they have prize rookie Aldon Smith (14 sacks) who won't be going to the Pro Bowl and a bunch of other solid defenders like Isaac Sopoaga and Parys Haralson.

One thing is pretty clear… Donte has a much better supporting cast than he did in Buffalo.

It's fair to say that like Jim Leonhard, Whitner can thrive on a good defensive team.

I think it's pretty clear also that he's not a difference maker on a weak defensive team.

Two words: Vic Fangio

While I agree that Donte was never as bad as we all thought he was based on the fact that he had no assistance on this team and has a bunch of help in San Fran, I also do not consider an alternate as a Pro Bowler. That's like saying Lynch was a Pro Bowler and K. Williams was as well. It's a joke for anyone to make the Pro Bowl as an alternate.

That's why when Whitner left I thought he should have signed somewhere like Baltimore or Pittsburgh, and play next to an all-pro safety. I think Whitner playing along side a real playmaker like Reed or Polamalu would have turned him into a pretty good player.

I understand he's a pro bowl alternate, but I've also seen enough San Fran games this year to know he's the same old average player. Decent safety; doesn't make any plays, unless a QB overthrows a ball by 30 yards and it hits him in the chest.

Has anyone ever seen Whitner make a pick like the one Byrd made on Sunday against the Broncos, or the one that Wilson made in the first Pats game when he snatched a ball from Gronkowski at the goal line?

I am a Whitner supporter, I liked Wire and Leonhard, too. I see a difference in the 9'ers D compared to ours and not denying that it has played a role in his success. But, this is just the freaking Pro Bowl. He will likely go, too, and so what?! He deserves it, he's a good guy, works hard, and is a leader.

Statistically, Byrd and Wilson are far superior to Whitner in every category except fumble recoveries and Scott is not far behind. Whitner is not in the top 50 in tackles. He is an average safety who is getting publicity because he is on a good D. Good for him. I'm still thrilled he's gone. I could not stand watching him play.

Two words: Vic Fangio

I was gonna mention him but it's the old talent vs coaching thing too.

There's no doubt that Fangio is an excellent coordinator.

There's also no doubt that the Niners are a very talented defensive team.

The fact is that Whitner chose to sign with a team that offered less money than the Bills. If you want to make the argument that Dante is the lynchpin of the 9r's D however, I say enjoy the crayons while they last. You might as well huff paint.

My recollection is that Whitner turned down the Bills offer believing that he could get a better offer elsewhere.

He didn't.

I'm sorry, but the guy is still a very average player, and has benefited from being in an excellent defense.

He's not a playmaker of any kind and certainly doesn't belong in a discussion with the league's top-15 safeties.

Ask the 49ers if they'd rather have Whitner or George Wilson (or Byrd)? They would send Whitner on the first plane out of San Fran for George Wilson.

They would? I think the 49ers fans would ask you "whos Wilson and Byrd?", and they are happy with the defence as is

Bills fans are hilarous to watch when you take a step back. Whitner was run out of town, goes to a team that has one of the best defences in the league and has yet to give up a rushing TD if I am not mistaken (if not, they had yet to give one up in 14 games), but its all in spite of Whitner because he sucks so bad. Fans decided to run him out of town the second his name was called if he didn't become an instant Pro bowler because his name wasn't Ngata. Now, since he has been named to the pro Bowl (even as an alternate) fans discredit the pro Bowl and say it means nothing, just a popularity contest. Yet, when someone they like makes it, like Peters, its a huge deal and means he is the best in the league.

Quick question, does the NFL Pro Bowl work like other sports where the alternates are named by the coaches/players votes, or are they just the next person in line in fan voting? Still waiting to hear a Bills player get the call to go, only horrible ex-bills seem to be getting the call

They would? I think the 49ers fans would ask you "whos Wilson and Byrd?", and they are happy with the defence as is

Bills fans are hilarous to watch when you take a step back. Whitner was run out of town, goes to a team that has one of the best defences in the league and has yet to give up a rushing TD if I am not mistaken (if not, they had yet to give one up in 14 games), but its all in spite of Whitner because he sucks so bad. Fans decided to run him out of town the second his name was called if he didn't become an instant Pro bowler because his name wasn't Ngata. Now, since he has been named to the pro Bowl (even as an alternate) fans discredit the pro Bowl and say it means nothing, just a popularity contest. Yet, when someone they like makes it, like Peters, its a huge deal and means he is the best in the league.

Quick question, does the NFL Pro Bowl work like other sports where the alternates are named by the coaches/players votes, or are they just the next person in line in fan voting? Still waiting to hear a Bills player get the call to go, only horrible ex-bills seem to be getting the call

Will you please learn to spell "defense"... sheesh.

I'm sorry, but the guy is still a very average player, and has benefited from being in an excellent defense.

He's not a playmaker of any kind and certainly doesn't belong in a discussion with the league's top-15 safeties.

Ask the 49ers if they'd rather have Whitner or George Wilson (or Byrd)? They would send Whitner on the first plane out of San Fran for George Wilson.

Here they come ... right on queue. :lol:

I was always a huge Donte Whitner supporter. I thought the Bills made a big mistake. I didn't see the light until a few weeks went by this season. George Wilson is clearly better than Whitner. He makes plays. I still say Whitner is better against the run and more versatile. But as far as overall and being a difference maker, clearly Wilson.

I didn't see it . If Whitner is so much better against the run then why did our D suck so bad last year against the run ?? Any time i saw him tackle he would go in back first .

The only reason why he had so many tackles for us last year & you say he is better against the run is because our D front last year was so porous that the secondary had to make the tackles & Whitner along with Poz were the benefactors of a porous front 3 or 4 on D .

This year Poz is still doing really well because of the same thing in Jacksonville ..

I don't know about that. I always see Wilson flying around and making big tackles on running plays.

Whitner, if I recall, would just get pancaked by RB's, or make tackles 10 yards down field.

I'm not willing to give Whitner any advantage over Wilson. Wilson has made more plays this season than Whitner has in his entire career.

I like Wilson a lot but I see him as barely average against the run. He is not a great tackler, he simply lacks size and strength in that area.

Whitner plays the run very well and is a sure tackler. I know it must be hard to believe this but the 49ers and the rest of the league know a little more about it than you do.

I am happy to see Donte gone, he tweeting alone used to drve me crazy. Wilson is a adequate replacement (better in pass coverage/ weaker on the run) and overall a better leader for this team.

Has anyone ever seen Whitner make a pick like the one Byrd made on Sunday against the Broncos...

You mean the one where Tebow didn't look him off and telegraphed a throw to a guy that should have been wide open for a TD because the secondary was in totally the wrong coverage for the play that was being run?

If that was any of 20 other QBs in the NFL and probably another 20 in college, that play is a TD. Tebow never looked at the TE, who was running a crossing route completely uncovered about 12 yards underneath. If he had and gotten Byrd to hesitate even a step, that play is a TD. Byrd was the luckiest guy on the field that play. Horribly defended play - one of the worst I've ever seen.

I didn't see it . If Whitner is so much better against the run then why did our D suck so bad last year against the run ??

Are you !@#$ing kidding me?

Has anyone ever seen Whitner make a pick like the one Byrd made on Sunday against the Broncos, or the one that Wilson made in the first Pats game when he snatched a ball from Gronkowski at the goal line?

You mean the one where Tebow didn't look him off and telegraphed a throw to a guy that should have been wide open for a TD because the secondary was in totally the wrong coverage for the play that was being run?

If that was any of 20 other QBs in the NFL and probably another 20 in college, that play is a TD. Tebow never looked at the TE, who was running a crossing route completely uncovered about 12 yards underneath. If he had and gotten Byrd to hesitate even a step, that play is a TD. Byrd was the luckiest guy on the field that play. Horribly defended play - one of the worst I've ever seen.

Whatever Darin. You're missing the point.

JR asked the question and the answer is no.

Whitner was one of the worst ball athletes to play safety for the Buffalo Bills… ever.

Not only would he not ever sit on a throw, jump a route, or bait a quarterback… but if the ball hit him in the hands he would drop it.

We're talking about a guy who has 7 career interceptions in a 6 year career.

That's in 83 career games, the vast majority as a starter.