Donte Whitner

Nice version.

The reality is that both the bye week bound defensively oriented 9ers and the possibly playoff bound defensively oriented Bengals wanted Whitner while the defensively challenged Bills thought they would be fine without a guy of his caliber. At least they will be able to watch him in the playoffs.

Nice try.

The truth is that both of these teams were in dire need of a safety. They were totally desperate. Out of desperation, they called Whitner, who had been sitting at home with no suitors.

See this article, for example:

"Both the 49ers and Bengals had weak-looking safety groups heading into the day, which makes the loss sting even more for Cincinnati."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/04/donte-whitner-changes-course-joins-49ers/

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean the one where Tebow didn't look him off and telegraphed a throw to a guy that should have been wide open for a TD because the secondary was in totally the wrong coverage for the play that was being run?

If that was any of 20 other QBs in the NFL and probably another 20 in college, that play is a TD. Tebow never looked at the TE, who was running a crossing route completely uncovered about 12 yards underneath. If he had and gotten Byrd to hesitate even a step, that play is a TD. Byrd was the luckiest guy on the field that play. Horribly defended play - one of the worst I've ever seen.

Are you !@#$ing kidding me?

It wasn't Byrd's fault that the Bills had no one covering the TE. There wasn't even enough guys on that side of the field. BUT, he also said that they had watched film on that formation and play and he knew Tebow liked to stare down his receiver, and he watched Tebows eyes and Tebow went right there and he made the INT for the TD. It was a great play. He did exactly what he was supposed to do, timed it perfectly and caught it and ran it in for the TD. If Tebow looked him off, he would not have gone right there, he would have taken that step, and likely not have been in a position to make the play. But Tebow didn't, they didn't expect him to, and Byrd made the perfect play. The Bills lined up wrong and had no one to cover the TE but even if there was, Byrd playing centerfield would have made the same read and break and INT.

Yes - the Bills and their fans are right, and the rest of the league is wrong. It's always the same tune. Peters was overrated, even though the rest of the league considers him the best LT in the game. We raped the Ravens on the Evans trade - never mind that that organization seems to know what it's doing. The 49ers have a top-3 defense, but man, did they bite the big one signing Whitner. We're all geniuses, and those other teams are just lucky to win games despite their idiocy. Right....

When Donte hit free agency, the rest of the league had the option of making him one of the most highly paid safeties in the league. Obviously that didn't happen. No one thought he was worth the contract one would give to a top-10 or even top-15 safety. That is what the rest of the league thought about Donte Whitner! :angry:

I'll grant that was a year ago, and that it's possible Whitner has played at a higher level for the 49ers than he had for the Bills. I haven't watched any 49ers games this year, so I don't know. But even if his play was somehow good enough to justify his selection as a Pro Bowl alternate--which seems highly dubious at best--it is a terrible strategy for a team to use its second-highest draft pick of the decade on a SS who manages, in his very best year, to eke his way into a Pro Bowl alternate position! :angry:

When Donte hit free agency, the rest of the league had the option of making him one of the most highly paid safeties in the league. Obviously that didn't happen. No one thought he was worth the contract one would give to a top-10 or even top-15 safety. That is what the rest of the league thought about Donte Whitner! :angry:

I'll grant that was a year ago, and that it's possible Whitner has played at a higher level for the 49ers than he had for the Bills. I haven't watched any 49ers games this year, so I don't know. But even if his play was somehow good enough to justify his selection as a Pro Bowl alternate--which seems highly dubious at best--it is a terrible strategy for a team to use its second-highest draft pick of the decade on a SS who manages, in his very best year, to eke his way into a Pro Bowl alternate position! :angry:

I did watch a fair amount of niner games, when you have a defense that allows zero rushing TD's through game 14, you're gonna get some recognition. Donte got it because he is there, not because the niners couldn't have done it with out him. Too recap Dontes 2011 play. He has not backed down from being the LAST player too jump on the pile. A true Whitner trademark "play". I guess today's NFL rewards that with a alternate pro bowl and vacation to Hawaii that NO one wants to take. he's the same guy, a third rounder picked way too early. I am so happy george Wilson is the right guy for the position and the old addition by subtraction has worked out just fine for the Bills.

Now guys reach the Pro Bowl, the pinnacle of the sport, for "jumping on the pile". Geez guys get over it already. Anger, envy, and jealousy are not useful emotions. Whitner is gone but still great. Let's keep our great players that we currently have.

Lets also not forget how good GW was playing until injury. Multiple people were talking about him as a Defensive MVP canidate, including Rodney Harrison during a Sunday night halftime show.

Whitner would have been a backup safety on our team this season (or at least should have been if he were here)

Edited by Thoner7

Lets also not forget how good GW was playing until injury. Maybe people were talking about him as a Defensive MVP canidate, including Rodney Harrison during a Sunday night halftime show.

Whitner would have been a backup safety on our team this season (or at least should have been if he were here)

From what I've seen out of Searcy, it would have been neck and neck between those two as to who would have been the primary back-up.

I would have probably gone with Searcy, and used Whitner on special teams.

From what I've seen out of Searcy, it would have been neck and neck between those two as to who would have been the primary back-up.

I would have probably gone with Searcy, and used Whitner on special teams.

The Pro Bowl called and it says you're being a homer.