Buddy Nix

156 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Buddy Nix

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave him a B, as in Benefit of the Doubt since he had to do more than just replace a few players when he got here.

He has rebuilt the front office (ousted Modrak and Guy, and brought in Whaley and other scouts).

Gailey was a good hire, given the coaches who were willing to come to Buffalo. Obviously, D-Coordinator needs to be re-evaluated, but he went and got Wanny in the offseason to try to help. Further improvements to the staff will be coming.

Once he had a handle on our Front Office, Scouts and Coaching Staff... he had to flip almost an entire 53-man roster which was devoid of talent.

His first draft/UDFA class isnt looking too hot, but Spiller has shown he can play when they actually give him the ball, and Nelson was a good find. Chandler was a good pickup from 2010 as well. He did what he could in Free Agnecy, given no one wants to come to Buffalo.

His 2011 draft is looking much better, with starters/players coming out of the first 5 picks, and Justin Rogers looking good in limited time. Much better in Free Agency as well by picking up Barnett, and the unfortunate Clabo situation which I was glad to at least see we were serious about. However, that might have ended up going in our favor as Clabo has had a disappointing year.

The FO is obviously serious about keeping our own talent with extensions for Williams, Fitz and Pears, and working on deals for Johnson and Jackson.

It's a long process, especially when building through the draft. They are in month 24 of a complete franchise rebuild. It took Butler/Smith/Nix 4 years to rebuild San Diego, they even had the #1 overall in their FOURTH YEAR, but since then no can argue that San Diego shouldnt be a perennial playoff contender.

Miami didnt "rebuild in 1 year", they had 1 lucky year and have sucked ever since. Atlanta didnt rebuild in 1 year either, they had a good base already drafted and then had Matt Ryan fall into their lap.

So far, while the results could be better, I think he has us on the right track.

edit:

The Evans trade, like it or not, was a good trade. He was falling off fast, and has done nothing this year. We got Hairston and Searcy in the 4th last year and could use another young player of their caliber.

I like the Merriman signing, even though he has been injured, for the other stuff Shawne brought to the team. The Defense played with a much higher intensity when he was around, and he helped bring in other FAs like Barnett and Morrison. We need more guys of that ilk to show the youngsters how hard you have to play.

+1

About the only good thing I'd say about our 70+ yr old GM is at least he didn't draft Gabbert #1 over Dareus... The money we have "invested" in Merriman could have been used to bring in a HEALTHY OLB who could have been rushing the opposing QB's every week... And none of the players Buddy drafted in year one are even close to be starters... This years draft looks better on paper so far but Dareus was a no brainer folks... And what idiot goes into a season without a legit back up center? (not one that you can slide over from another position thus creating a new hole at that position???) Look I was no great fan of Hangartner but don't expect me to believe they couldn't have brought in a halfway competent center prospect back in training camp, just in case. D-

About the only good thing I'd say about our 70+ yr old GM is at least he didn't draft Gabbert #1 over Dareus... The money we have "invested" in Merriman could have been used to bring in a HEALTHY OLB who could have been rushing the opposing QB's every week... And none of the players Buddy drafted in year one are even close to be starters... This years draft looks better on paper so far but Dareus was a no brainer folks... And what idiot goes into a season without a legit back up center? (not one that you can slide over from another position thus creating a new hole at that position???) Look I was no great fan of Hangartner but don't expect me to believe they couldn't have brought in a halfway competent center prospect back in training camp, just in case. D-

What OLB was on the market that you wanted to bring in? Because I don't remember anyone.

What OLB was on the market that you wanted to bring in? Because I don't remember anyone.

And its been a minimal investment in Merriman. One which, imo, has paid at least some dividends.

Everyone screams that we are so far under cap, and to overpay guys to get them here, and that it's not our money... and then scream when we do and it doesnt work out perfectly.

Grade him and state your case if you'd like. Just wondering where everyone is at.

I gave him a C. Its way too early to judge his draft classes, traditionally you like to see

3 full years before you make that decision. 2010 was a joke; Spiller, while talented, was a

luxury the Bills could not afford. The rest of the class has contributed pretty much nothing;

I holdout a sliver of hope they can find a way to use Carrington properly, b/c he may be decent.

This last class however has some potential, everyone has contributed it seems like; however we thought

that about 2006, and it turned out to be fools gold.

I'm curious as to the B+ for 2011 draft - Dareus is only sure pick. Williams and Sheppard seeing time but neither has been a difference maker.

In addition to Dareus, I like Williams a lot. I'm hoping he'll be a real plus as he grows in the role. Also Harrison has played reasonably well for a rookie at a tough position. Sheppard and Searcy haven't stood out but have been able to get on the field (no sure thing for a Bills draft pick). Of course it's way to early to judge, but I'm impressed that I've seen 5 guys start games.

instead of writing an essay about how much we dont know about what goes on behind the scenes, i'm just going to say that so far, i dont have any major problems with what nix has done. i dont totally agree with everything, but nobody is perfect, and it's not like he's got an easy job.

at this point, i'll give him a B, mostly because i think his actions have generally improved the team for the long haul. that's not to say there isnt more he couldve or shouldve done in addtion to, or instead of, what he has done.

because we dont know to what extent nix is free to run the football dept as he sees fit, i dont think its totally fair to criticize him (personally) for not signing so and so, or drafting this guy over this guy, etc.

of course my patience has worn thin after so much futility, but i also realize building a winner takes time.

for those of you giving poor grades- what would it take for nix to have earned an A or B in your minds? i dont mean to be combative, i'm just curious. I think it's too early to label him a failure or even substandard. it may be another 3 or 4 years (or more) til you see to fruits of his recent actions.

i dont think i need to remind anyone that nix inherited a team in shambles.

In addition to Dareus, I like Williams a lot. I'm hoping he'll be a real plus as he grows in the role. Also Harrison has played reasonably well for a rookie at a tough position. Sheppard and Searcy haven't stood out but have been able to get on the field (no sure thing for a Bills draft pick). Of course it's way to early to judge, but I'm impressed that I've seen 5 guys start games.

Agree for the most part. If it is true that the only draft that is catagorically Buddy's responsibility is 2011, then I grade him at a B+. Whats more, if he is able to repeat in 2012, the Bills will have turned the corner IMO, whether or not Fitz lines up under center on opening day. Thats really the only glimmer of hope I see at this rather dark time for Bills fans.

Grade him and state your case if you'd like. Just wondering where everyone is at.

No one but Gailey is talking at one Bills Drive. I wonder if that means anything? No Wilson, No Nix, No Brandon, Littman and Ovrdork never talk so they don't count. I am sure that Gailey and Nix lobbied for into extending Fitz and Pears. Both have been horrid since they signed, combined with the Merriman signing, You have wonder if Nix/Gailey have any credibility left with the ownership group. If not, look for an accelerating downhill spiral for this franchise.

Keep in mind we had better records before he came and as Nix said its about wins and losses.

Saying our records were better before (7-9, 6-10, etc) than what we have now, is like saying "That's my hotter cousin". At the end of the season, 8-8 is the same as 4-12 except you dont get a good draft pick.

To me, its about establishing a foundation that will get us to the playoffs and keep us in the playoffs over many seasons.

As much as I admire a man his age for working the hours, and maintaining the vitality he has - there are things I really wonder about:

One of Buffalo's problems this year - despite Fitz not being able to throw accurate deep balls - is not having recievers who are fast enough to warrant opposing coverage in the deep areas. Why, then, did we give up Evans if we were really trying to win? I mean, the only way I can make sense of a lot of the moves the Bills have made this past year is that they're either trying to lose, or they are totally inept.

Why give Lynch away for as little as they did - that is often forgotten, but another poster mentioned it; there were teams that were almost all the way solid save for a good running back. I'm willing to bet there would have been better deals available had Nix tried. He just seems to be totally opposed to deals of any kind. He seems to have the kind of mind that thinks, I'm not going to mess around with trading up, down, or calling around to try to make deals to get or get rid of players. It will be black and white, clear cut pick ups or releases. No creativity there - he is in the bottom of the league in that department.

What is going on with Buffalo's defense? I'm thinking - if Wannstedt is scheduled to take over, why haven't they released Edwards in an attempt at rejuvinating this unit? If Kansas City isn't enough of evidence - coaching can raise the level of a team's play tenfold; this organization seems to be more concerned with contracts or handshakes than they do the Fanbase - it's as if they deny the fans have a right to demand success! Any other franchise would have tried something else by now, Edward's feelings be damned. If they raise Wannstedt to coordinator, my first thoughts will be - what has he contributed to this mess this year? And, did he not have the authority to help, or change it? Again - it looks like they want to lose these games rather than try something else.

Contracts - he isn't on the hook for Kelsay, but he's paid Fitz, Pears - anyone remember Green? That bozo got a 3 million dollar a year contract to play RT. How about Brad Smith - there are countless examples of money going to the wrong places and players under Nix's brief management. 30 million under the cap and the excuses of poor depth! Enough!

All in all - I will see what they do to make changes for next year. But, if they keep Fitz the QB without getting a high round QB to be ready to come in and for development, and if they keep Edwards and don't seriously address the defense, then my days are done with watching or supporting this team. They have a chance at redemption next year. Nix has the chance to make this team playoff worthy, but, if he acts as if his rebuild can take as long as needed, without urgency and with the apparent "right" to as many crappy seasons as they care for - I'm done.

D. The Spiller pick flat out made me laugh. Injury aside, trading Lee Evans was dumb and created another void on the roster. He basically gave away Marshawn Lynch who has been a beast for Seattle. For a guy with a scouting background, his drafts look very ordinary to me. The Brad Smith signing was dumb. I have no issue with taking a chance on Merriman. It didn't work out but was worth the risk. The Bills are a complete mess. I see no hope on the horizon anytime soon.

please stop with the lee evans stuff. he is broken down and barely plays

Tough to assign an appropriate grade given that he's completely hamstrung by the bean counters and the higher ups of the organization.

That being said, i give him a C based on his 2 drafts.

To point 1, I don't think there's a better example of this than the Evans trade. We'll never know how much influence Nix has, but it's safe to say he's not telling Jeff Littmann not to spend on free agents.

I'd give him a C- at this point, but that's riding on Dareus and A. Williams who appear to be good players. His UFA acquisitions have been about the same, buoyed only by the Barnett and Dwan Edwards signings.