Buddy Nix

156 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Buddy Nix

I gave him a D.

I think he's 1 for 2 on the draft. I really like the SEC heavy 2011 draft. I think the Lee Evans trade was a positive. Lynch also had to go.

However, he earns the D by:

1. Not making the call to fire Edwards last year;

2. The Terrell Troup selection, despite knowledge he had back issues;

3. Not obtaining real OLBs, even if they are marginal. Putting 300 lb. linemen out there all year at that position is inexcusable.

4. Not obtaining a top notch TE through either draft.

2 & 3 are closley related, as a top TE who grew up in Buffalo was taken by the Pats w/ the next pick. EPIC FAIL.

Also, I gave him a C. It would be an F if I didn't believe he was hamstrung by the bean-counters. There is no reason for being 30 mill below the cap. Also, I should have given him a D for letting Jared Gathers pass us by on waivers. He looked great last night, and we need more depth, as evidenced by the FO's continual whining about "lack of depth." Gee, well who's fault is that!

About the only good thing I'd say about our 70+ yr old GM is at least he didn't draft Gabbert #1 over Dareus... The money we have "invested" in Merriman could have been used to bring in a HEALTHY OLB who could have been rushing the opposing QB's every week... And none of the players Buddy drafted in year one are even close to be starters... This years draft looks better on paper so far but Dareus was a no brainer folks... And what idiot goes into a season without a legit back up center? (not one that you can slide over from another position thus creating a new hole at that position???) Look I was no great fan of Hangartner but don't expect me to believe they couldn't have brought in a halfway competent center prospect back in training camp, just in case. D-

They should have kept Hangartner as a backup. But again, the bean counters win out!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

C'mon homers, get a freaking grip on reality!

2010 draft looking like a huge failure, Spiller at #9 overall?

2011 draft looking better but only because of Marcel Darius @ #3 overall. Not one player from that draft became an instant starter besides MD.

What stellar moves has Buddy Mix made in trades-free agency-the draft to elevate himself above Tom Modrak. A man who found players like Fred Jackson-George Wilson-Eric Wood- Andy Levitre-Stevie Johnson- Kyle Williams

Cornell Green at RT... forced to pick up players off the waiver wire to reinforce the O line when he Green stunk it up so badly he was released partway during his first season...huge failure to solidify the O line in 2010. Buddy Nix knew he needed O line help this year, (after the draft, and during free agency) its why he went after Tyson Clybo so hard. But then did nothing to help bolster that O line when Clybo stayed in Atlanta. No real O line help early in the draft or free agency for two years now.

Trading away Marshawn Lynch during the season for a 4th when the NO Saints stated they would have give given a 3rd if Buddy would have answered his phone. The Saints were desperate for a RB help at that time of the year and might have even given up more. Not to mention that Nix could have traded Lynch to Seattle on draft day in 2010 for a 4th, it is what they offered way back then. That extra #4 pick would have been able to help that year.

Now looking at what Lynch is doing in Seattle vs Spiller with Fred Jackson on IR. Marshawn Lynch is the #8 th RB in the NFL ATM with over 1000 yards rushing and 11 TD's...smart move?

Trading away Lee Evans, the Buffalo Bills only deep speed threat and without Evans Stevie Johnson looks rather ordinary at #21 in the NFL 68 receptions for 872 yards and only 6 TD's.... Looks like Johnson did better last season with Evans on the other side taking away all the coverage. Last years stats #11 overall receiver with 82 receptions, 1073 yards, 10 TD's as the #2 wide out. Trading away Evans, a former #1 pick for a 4th without replacing him....smart move?

Letting Poz and Whitner leave, both the Jags and 49ers have top 5 defenses, so was it the players or the coaches?

Putting all his hope in Shawn Merriman as the only pass rusher, a player know for a history of injuries. In two years he couldn't find a decent pass rusher somewhere, somehow? Draft- free agency-trade!

Bottom line in the NFL is wins, so far Buddy's man, Chan Gailey has done far worse then the known moron Dick Jauron. 5-9 is looking like 5-11 with Denver and the Patriots yet to play, perhaps both playoff teams.

Maybe you guys think 5-11 after a 4-12 year is an improvement. I'm thinking they got lucky the first part of the year with turnovers or this year is even worse then last year.

Buddy Nix=way to many mistakes made by a very experienced personnel man. Conversely, just look at what Thomas Dimtroff did for the Atlanta Falcons in his first 2 years as GM. Google him it to see what a real GM could do for a team

Given how the season has turned, I think its time to talk through their 2 year record... they've had lots of questionable moves and precious few hits of their own doing

-- Extending Chris Kelsay last year for big money when he's not a difference maker

-- Big signing of Brad Smith and then not using him enough or properly

-- Very limited production in 2nd year of first draft class (Spiller, Troupe, Carrington, Moats, Batten)

-- Edwards as Defensive Coordinator

-- Trying to play with 300 lb outside LBs in a 3-4

-- Cutting Aaron Maybin without ever letting him on the field and then seeing him play well for division rival

-- Cutting Hangartner prematurely

-- Trading Marshawn Lynch and using a 1st round pick for the 3rd time this decade on a RB

-- Everyone who's shown some level of played well (Fitz, Jackson, S. Johnson, Kyle Williams, Byrd, Wilson, Florence, Wood, Levitre) are leftovers from Jauron regime and not their guys

Not sure yet whether to blame the following on them??

-- Troupe over Gronkowski pick, but tempted to given that Gronkowski is local kid

-- Merriman pick-up/extension I suppose was a reasonable risk

-- Never picking a young QB

Other seemingly wise moves seem to have blown up in their faces

-- Extending Fitz (they probably had to do that one as it looked like his price would go up as the season progressed)

-- Extending Williams

-- Picking Dareus over AC Green

Their best moves appear to be finding some average players from 2nd/3rd tier FA

-- Trading Lee Evans

-- Pears, Chandler, Barnett, Nelson

What am I missing? This doesn't seem like a very good record. If they're fired, the Bills will have an even more difficult time attracting GM/Coach than 2 years ago... Man, is this ever depressing!

Edited by cage

I'm curious as to the B+ for 2011 draft - Dareus is only sure pick. Williams and Sheppard seeing time but neither has been a difference maker.

Not sure what you are watching or missing, but Williams and Sheppard both look VERY good.

Rodgers looks like a steal, and Hairston is at least excellent value for his round.

This was at least a B+ draft.

Makes up for what is looking like a horrific 2010 draft.

Maybe 2012 will let us know if Modrak or others were still screwing things up in 2010.

Grade him and state your case if you'd like. Just wondering where everyone is at.

I basically started a similar topic, so we can just fold it into yours... here's my story on them... voted D-

Given how the season has turned, I think its time to talk through their 2 year record... they've had lots of questionable moves and precious few hits of their own doing

-- Extending Chris Kelsay last year for big money when he's not a difference maker

-- Very limited production in 2nd year of first draft class (Spiller, Troupe, Carrington, Moats, Batten)

-- Cutting Aaron Maybin without ever letting him on the field and then seeing him play well for division rival

-- Trading Marshawn Lynch and using a 1st round pick for the 3rd time this decade on a RB

-- Everyone who's shown some level of played well (Fitz, Jackson, S. Johnson, Kyle Williams, Byrd, Wilson, Florence, Wood, Levitre) are leftovers from Jauron regime and not their guys

-- As much as I want to see Gailey do well, this is now 7 weeks in a row where they are essentially unprepared to play on Sunday and are getting kicked around by teams that aren't very good in their own right

-- Troupe over Gronkowski pick, but tempted to given that Gronkowski is local kid and TE has been a NEED position for a long time

-- Extending Fitz (they probably had to do that one as it looked like his price would go up as the season progressed)

-- Extending Williams

-- Trading Lee Evans

What am I missing? This doesn't seem like a very good record. If they're fired, the Bills will have an even more difficult time attracting GM/Coach than 2 years ago... Man, is this ever depressing!

Edited by cage

I basically started a similar topic, so we can just fold it into yours... here's my story on them... voted D-

-- As much as I want to see Gailey do well, this is now 7 weeks in a row where they are essentially unprepared to play on Sunday and are getting kicked around by teams that aren't very good in their own right

-- Troupe over Gronkowski pick, but tempted to given that Gronkowski is local kid and TE has been a NEED position for a long time

-- Extending Williams

-- Trading Lee Evans

Great post. You are putting trading Evans in the category of a good thing. Some people might give you grief about that, but I agree with you. Fitz can't use Evans as a deep threat, and Evans wasn't inclined to fight for a poorly thrown ball, so why have him on the roster.

If he fixes the OLB issues and gets a QB with some upside in the next draft, that would go pretty far at righting the ship.

I gave him a C, mostly because I think the 2011 draft was pretty good.

Of those points, I'd say the alarming ones are the impact of their top draft choices the last few years, and the projected lenght of this "rebuild" at the rate it is going. Player talent evaluation is also one of the very biggest problems, as it seems these guys can't determine who on their own roster is capable of doing what - and, perhaps contributing to this, but bad no matter, they sometimes appear to not even know how they want to use these guys, which would make it tough to evaluate them - I mean, you can only really draft well if you know exactly what you need out of players, and two years into this we might not have the same coordinator = same needs, on defense next year! Edwards was a bad move from the beginning, and keeping him through this season is worse still...

So many of those are short sighted and either lazy or unintelligent to include. Signing Williams blew up in their face? Never picking up a qb? Who did you want and at what pick? Since when was brad smith a big signing? Did I miss the part where an under 4m a year was that noteworthy? Why Should gronks hometown effect our draft ranking?

2 of your good players are listed as failed signings!

I'm looking for somewhere to vent this issue - after watching the video on the postgame with Gailey, and hearing his remarks about Spiller. Spiller was the only guy really doing anything offensively, and he was on pace to keep the Bills in the game on his own, and Gailey takes him out, and then shortly after abandons the run. Wans't Spiller supposed to be able to score from anywhere? Wasn't that the appeal of this RB? If you're down a touchdown, or even two, and there is still a quarter to play - who else on this offense has that kind of speed?

But, my bigger issue is how he explains it - he is either hiding his true feelings, or this management is totally on different pages and lost. He says he doesn't want to expose CJ to too many hits? That is crap - the kid hasn't played much at all since he's been here - and he can't handle filling in for Fred for a few games full time. It's not like he doesn't have the whole offseason to heal if he gets dinged up a little. And, don't we have to see what he is capable of? It seems like Gailey doesn't want Spiller to shine. Is he trying to avoid a controversy with Fred? If I were CJ I'd be totally angry - I mean, this kid has the heart of a competitor - he isn't a quitter, and he gets to stand around and watch his own coach show a total, repeated, lack of faith in him. Gailey is starting to fall apart after these games - his, "we had a plan for CJ, to use him in the passing game" - it sounds like Gailey's plan was adhered to despite the circumstances of the game, and that would totally explain the Bills inability to adapt and change their game plan to adjust to the opponent's tactics.

Great post. You are putting trading Evans in the category of a good thing. Some people might give you grief about that, but I agree with you. Fitz can't use Evans as a deep threat, and Evans wasn't inclined to fight for a poorly thrown ball, so why have him on the roster.

If he fixes the OLB issues and gets a QB with some upside in the next draft, that would go pretty far at righting the ship.

I gave him a C, mostly because I think the 2011 draft was pretty good.

Far more bad than good in this record. I think we need much more.

If you look at the 2010 draft, and not picking out a few good picks, you will see it is overall a very weak draft .

As for the Bills really hard to judge considering the 2 and 4th round picks have been injured. Not sure what carrington is , but spiller can play

I'm looking for somewhere to vent this issue - after watching the video on the postgame with Gailey, and hearing his remarks about Spiller. Spiller was the only guy really doing anything offensively, and he was on pace to keep the Bills in the game on his own, and Gailey takes him out, and then shortly after abandons the run. Wans't Spiller supposed to be able to score from anywhere? Wasn't that the appeal of this RB? If you're down a touchdown, or even two, and there is still a quarter to play - who else on this offense has that kind of speed?

But, my bigger issue is how he explains it - he is either hiding his true feelings, or this management is totally on different pages and lost. He says he doesn't want to expose CJ to too many hits? That is crap - the kid hasn't played much at all since he's been here - and he can't handle filling in for Fred for a few games full time. It's not like he doesn't have the whole offseason to heal if he gets dinged up a little. And, don't we have to see what he is capable of? It seems like Gailey doesn't want Spiller to shine. Is he trying to avoid a controversy with Fred? If I were CJ I'd be totally angry - I mean, this kid has the heart of a competitor - he isn't a quitter, and he gets to stand around and watch his own coach show a total, repeated, lack of faith in him. Gailey is starting to fall apart after these games - his, "we had a plan for CJ, to use him in the passing game" - it sounds like Gailey's plan was adhered to despite the circumstances of the game, and that would totally explain the Bills inability to adapt and change their game plan to adjust to the opponent's tactics.

His explanation is plenty dodgy. The guy plays RB; he's going to get hit. Is there no sense of urgency whatsoever to see what players can do in many various situations? This is the NFL: a coaching staff is going to get their behind handed to them every week if they insist on fixating to their own tendencies. Other teams aren't that stupid and talentless.

Tough one. D is poor but passing. I see nothing wothry of passing at this point but i do say give him another 2 years

I cannot say he is passing since W/L record has gotten worse under his direction.

Grades so far - they can change as players develop, or not.

2010:

draft = D

Free agency = D

Coaching and FO hires = C (Gailey and Whaley)

2011:

draft = B

Free agency = C

coaching and FO hires = B (Wannstedt, added more scouts

Product on the field = D-

grade = F. i mean seriously...if someone told you his record at this point would be 9-21, would you be ok with that? under ANY circumstances?

i mean, he lost me with the STUPID spiller pick, but i can understand why all the pollyannas would want to "wait and see." but now? F.

and ralph gets an F- for failing to do a search for a proper g.m. and instead handing the job to a 70-year old career scout who was fired form his last job.

the whole thing is insane. and this is our team.

I gave him a "D." I'm all for building through the draft, and his draft picks are startring to look and play better. However, I wish he would do more through free agency. At any rate, we've gone from 4-12 to what looks like 5-11. Not a whole lot of improvement to crow about.

you cannot buy your way to good..it's year two of a rebuild

-- Extending Williams

-- Trading Lee Evans

really good points, except for getting beat by teams aren't very good ? Who is good and who is bad in the NFL this year ? Packers, Steelers, Patriots, maybe 49ers - that does it

grade = F. i mean seriously...if someone told you his record at this point would be 9-21, would you be ok with that? under ANY circumstances?

i mean, he lost me with the STUPID spiller pick, but i can understand why all the pollyannas would want to "wait and see." but now? F.

and ralph gets an F- for failing to do a search for a proper g.m. and instead handing the job to a 70-year old career scout who was fired form his last job.

the whole thing is insane. and this is our team.

hey dude do some of your own research and find the ages of the other GM's in the NFL

hey dude do some of your own research and find the ages of the other GM's in the NFL

no, why don't YOU do some research and tell me who else in NFL history got his FIRST g.m. job at that age after having been a career scout and fired from his last scouting job.

Ralph didn't give enough of a **** to do a real search for a real g.m., so we get a guy who thinks he's drafting the next l.t. with the 9th pick, depite having no o.line or defense. it was a STUPID WASTE of a high pick, and there's no way around it! it basically disqualified him from any serious consideration that he was competent as a g.m.

Seem to be different views on how well Sheppard and Williams are playing. I think Sheppard has been disappointing (slow and poor in pass coverage). Not sure about Williams, but I remember Winfield as a rookie and I thought he was really good in coverage playing the slot receiver.

Interesting that all of our draft picks in 2011 were from schools in the South. I think that Nix has a clear bias.