A Few Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

Regarding Spiller, don't think speed hitting the holes is issue as much as power. At this point he just not strong enough. Freddie can by burst and strength get through initial tacklers and make some yardage often enough where at this point in time Spiller gets hit he is down. imo

Nothing more tough than watching games like today, so very little to hang your hat on in terms of optimism. Think this team will be better as long as they draft for need and depth rather than titillation. I see this team in the hunt next season and a playoff one the year after. Got to give general manager and coach another year, they are perhaps not fancy but are football guys, i honestly think the team is going to be much , much better. This early season was exciting and fun , but it prematurely raised the bar to a unrealistic level, many of these guys just young with lessons to learn, Its going to get better, :)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Every week in every season guys make this same wild claim, yet when pressed to explain how on Earth such a scheme could work, they offer nothing---other than "I don't who is doing it or how it works, but it must be true".

I can be persuaded fellas--give it better try than that.

I'd be more inclined to believe it but every losing and most winning boards have the same thread. Leads me to believe it all comes out in the wash over time.

I think the bad ref calls are pretty random. It seems like when the refs think that they might have gotten one wrong they make up for it later. Holding happens on every play, and it is easy for the refs to use a few well timed holding calls to steer the game any way they want. And the Bills were beneficiaries of a few holding calls.

Fitz was pretty gutsy running the ball, so I am not sure if he is hurt anymore. After the hit by Fletcher in the Redskins game he was obviously hurt for the next two or three games, but last week he looked good, and this week he ran the ball, threw long passes, and seemed pretty lively in general. In fact, he ran it when he should have passed on fourth down.

I feel like Fitz has regressed. On one play he had a lot of time (which seemed weird) and then he overthrew his checkdown to the tight end. That looked pretty foolish.

It's not just a feeling. It is fact.

On the corruption point, doesn't have to be the League--all it takes is $, and there are plenty of potential sources for that. Everyone from gamblers (most likely) to networks to the League to specific owners. Any of them has the $ needed to do this.....

I'd be more inclined to believe it but every losing and most winning boards have the same thread. Leads me to believe it all comes out in the wash over time.

Name me a game the Pats* lost on a bad call/no call late in a game from the time of the Tuck Rule to their SB loss. They won MANY that way during that span (Raiders, Colts, Texans, Ravens, Bills games all come to mind), but I've yet to hear they lost one that way during that period....

On the corruption point, doesn't have to be the League--all it takes is $, and there are plenty of potential sources for that. Everyone from gamblers (most likely) to networks to the League to specific owners. Any of them has the $ needed to do this.....

Name me a game the Pats* lost on a bad call/no call late in a game from the time of the Tuck Rule to their SB loss. They won MANY that way during that span (Raiders, Colts, Texans, Ravens, Bills games all come to mind), but I've yet to hear they lost one that way during that period....

So for this to work, 100% of the refs would have to be in on it. How did they get to all of them? DO they all get a taste of the take?

1) The offensive gameplan is so predictable, it's ridiculous. We've run the same 5-10 plays over the last 3 weeks. I don't get it. I never want to see another shovel pass as long as I live.

2) The lack of a pass rush from the defense is alarming. I saw Moats out there maybe once, and he got swallowed up. Who exactly do we have that's been rushing the passer?

Brian Moorman is on pace to shatter his career average yards/punt record. He shouldn't go anywhere. Like when people bash Fitz, this team has plenty of actual problems...punter isn't one.

This team will get better, if only because injuries are destroying them this season.

thank god someone with some sense....this whole season is the injuries, yes there are things connected to it like lack of depth or their decision to roll with these guys etc......ya Moorman had a good punt 55 and a bad one. Has has a great year

1) Is anybody looking for good news? Look no further than Marcel Dareus. Today, he was the lone good player on the front 7, and he was a monster. He is a potential star people.

Keep an eye on Dwan Edwards as well. He drew a lot of doubles today and still played well and had a productive day in spite of the extra attention. He's also been playing some DT (as is Carrington) and even NT the last couple weeks and has held his own when asked to do so. A few people on this board will try to convince you that he sucks and that the Bills should let him walk. Don't take their word for it; watch him and form your own opinion. I think the guy is a very solid player and I hope he's part of the Bills long-term plans.

It's not just a feeling. It is fact.

Fitz was hurt bad in the Washington game. I went to the Cowboys game and had an opportunity to chat wuth Fitz's dad before the game. He told me Ryan could barely walk around the following week. He could not believe he played the next week. He had told Ryan to wear a flack jacket but he refused. You could tell the general fatherly concern. I was a bit surprised he divulged this to me in fear of it getting out to the opposing teams. I kept it under wrap until now. Some other things I learned: Ryan wears his ring during the game because he fears if he takes it off he wil loose it. Ryan scored 1580 out of 1600 on his SAT without really studying for it. His wife is the smarter one in the house. He got his intelligence from his mom. It was a nice chat with a really nice regular type guy. His dad also missed the awesome tailgating that happens at the Ralph but certainly not in Jerry's Parking lots..... He loves and admires the spirit and dedication of Bills Nation.

Broken ribs can be really painful and he is likely still playing through this pain. He also watches Thigpen in practice and probably realizes the Bills will never win with him.

Fitz was hurt bad in the Washington game. I went to the Cowboys game and had an opportunity to chat wuth Fitz's dad before the game. He told me Ryan could barely walk around the following week. He could not believe he played the next week. He had told Ryan to wear a flack jacket but he refused. You could tell the general fatherly concern. I was a bit surprised he divulged this to me in fear of it getting out to the opposing teams. I kept it under wrap until now. Some other things I learned: Ryan wears his ring during the game because he fears if he takes it off he wil loose it. Ryan scored 1580 out of 1600 on his SAT without really studying for it. His wife is the smarter one in the house. He got his intelligence from his mom. It was a nice chat with a really nice regular type guy. His dad also missed the awesome tailgating that happens at the Ralph but certainly not in Jerry's Parking lots..... He loves and admires the spirit and dedication of Bills Nation.

Broken ribs can be really painful and he is likely still playing through this pain. He also watches Thigpen in practice and probably realizes the Bills will never win with him.

That's cool that his dad was a neat guy, but his son is not a franchise QB.

1) Is anybody looking for good news? Look no further than Marcel Dareus. Today, he was the lone good player on the front 7, and he was a monster. He is a potential star people.

2) OK, now for some bad news: Kelsay is bad beyond description. He is a bad DE and a bad OLB. Imo he is barely a second string player.

Amen. Those who continue to defend him / revise history can only be trolling.

Keep an eye on Dwan Edwards as well. He drew a lot of doubles today and still played well and had a productive day in spite of the extra attention. He's also been playing some DT (as is Carrington) and even NT the last couple weeks and has held his own when asked to do so. A few people on this board will try to convince you that he sucks and that the Bills should let him walk. Don't take their word for it; watch him and form your own opinion. I think the guy is a very solid player and I hope he's part of the Bills long-term plans.

Nice post, I agree. Dwan is hardly a problem on this team.

No doubt that Fitz has played like crap the last few weeks. Maybe he is dealing with an injury, maybe not but I think the main favtor causing his decline in play the O-line is in shambles without Wood. We hsave no WRs, Freddy was the offensive MVP and he's gone and we finally found a decent TE and he's gone. Add that to the terrible play calling and Fitz is being put in an unwinable position. I don't think he is great and I would love to draft a QB early in the draft this year who can lead the team to the playoffs (one who can throw downfield). But Fitz has shown that he is good enough to compete and win when surrounded with talent. We need to sign some NFL caliber Free agents this year and not depend on the draft. Every year, the draft 'experts" on this board list name after name of guys who are guarenteed to be superstars. 90% off them go on to do absolutely nothing. The draft is for finding 1-2 surprises or guys who will develop into quality players down the road. We have to add through FA.

I'm with JR 100%. The offensive gameplan is very predictable. Opposing defenses have been knowing what's coming since the Bengals game.

Coaching fixes this. Gailey's ego, in part, killed this team this year. Running the same plays, even in the same order, regardless of their success and personnel available to execute it. This happened at GT and it had happened when he was in Dallas. It was just that in Dallas and Tech, the talent was good enough to get the job done most of the time.

I give lots of credit to John Fox. I'm sure he's had to swallow his pride by the pound this year with Tebow. However, he's won by letting Tebow do whatever it is he's doing to help win football games...instead of calling out "his" plays and making Tebow adjust simply because he's head coach and that's what he's there for. In my opinion, Fox should be COY.

As for the defense, it goes without saying, a new (and experienced) coordinator and some new pass rushing OLBs would make a world of difference. I don't blame Johnson and Kelsay for being bad at linebacking. They've been playing out of position. Both were linemen in college at Auburn and Nebraska and in the pros before somebody decided to throw them out at linebacker, a bad move from the words "I have an idea..." You get a pass rush, even your mediocre cornerback instantly gets a lot better.

Dareus has been an incredible pick. We'll need another homerun in April 2012.

8) No flag for pass interference just before the 1st half? Is that what happened? It is time to question the integrity of the NFL. Sorry, but it is. There is only one reason to overturn a call so obvious. Yes, I am making a direct allegation of corruption. Btw, there was an equally flagrant non-call at the end of the Vikes/Lions game. Economic times are tough, and I am directly accusing the league of corruption.

Oh yeah. I'm convinced the NFL is fixed, (since the PIT v SEA Superbowl), and not just by a few random officiating mistakes.

Consider the Bills v Cowboys game. The only 2 storylines coming into the game for the Bills were David Nelson's girlfriend and the Cowboys stadium being built on Freddy's house. The Bills lost 44-7 but Freddy got his 100 yds and Nelson scored the only TD of the game.

So the gamblers love NE? And all the league is in on it? But not enough for any rings or playoff wins really recently?

Could it be they are damn good so they don't lose many games? our current streak matches their loss totals for most 2 year stretches.

I'll say we were on the better end of the stick when we beat them. Not to an offensive extent, but....

Oh yeah. I'm convinced the NFL is fixed, (since the PIT v SEA Superbowl), and not just by a few random officiating mistakes.

Consider the Bills v Cowboys game. The only 2 storylines coming into the game for the Bills were David Nelson's girlfriend and the Cowboys stadium being built on Freddy's house. The Bills lost 44-7 but Freddy got his 100 yds and Nelson scored the only TD of the game.

Correction: I'm not totally 100% convinced the NFL if fixed, I just have a sneaking suspicion. Wouldn't be surprised if it came out one day. Too many "Darlings of the NFL" always seem to conveniently squeak out victories at the last minute when faced with playoff elimination each year (see Jets).

I've heard similar things, if true it shows Fitz is not so smart - wear the dang flak jacket, and take off your ring before you get it caught in something. If we blew the playoffs because Fitz refused to armor up, that is really inexcusable.

I'm with JR 100%. The offensive gameplan is very predictable. Opposing defenses have been knowing what's coming since the Bengals game.

Coaching fixes this. Gailey's ego, in part, killed this team this year. Running the same plays, even in the same order, regardless of their success and personnel available to execute it. This happened at GT and it had happened when he was in Dallas. It was just that in Dallas and Tech, the talent was good enough to get the job done most of the time.

I give lots of credit to John Fox. I'm sure he's had to swallow his pride by the pound this year with Tebow. However, he's won by letting Tebow do whatever it is he's doing to help win football games...instead of calling out "his" plays and making Tebow adjust simply because he's head coach and that's what he's there for. In my opinion, Fox should be COY.

As for the defense, it goes without saying, a new (and experienced) coordinator and some new pass rushing OLBs would make a world of difference. I don't blame Johnson and Kelsay for being bad at linebacking. They've been playing out of position. Both were linemen in college at Auburn and Nebraska and in the pros before somebody decided to throw them out at linebacker, a bad move from the words "I have an idea..." You get a pass rush, even your mediocre cornerback instantly gets a lot better.

Dareus has been an incredible pick. We'll need another homerun in April 2012.

Matbe Chan should hire an OC so he can concentrate on being HC? Just a thought . . .

2) OK, now for some bad news: Kelsay is bad beyond description. He is a bad DE and a bad OLB. Imo he is barely a second string player.

3) I want to talk about Hairston. Yes, he had a rough outing but I actually saw him make some plays. I was watching closely. The kid could be a good, perhaps VERY good RT. I like him a lot, but he is NOT an option at LT. Backup LT? Absolutely. That's about it. Long story short? We need an offensive left tackle folks, and there in no getting around this fact. Bell is a small, brittle 7th round pick. Yes, we need an offensive left tackle.

4) Time for Moorman to part ways with the Buffalo Bills. Seriously. He is a horror show at this point, and btw, I hope he is in good health. He looks like he lost 30 or more pounds and lives in Biafra. Yes folks, he is totally shot, like it or not.

5) OK, it's time to talk about Spiller. He doesn't hit holes fast enough. If he did, if he could get through lanes, it would more than likely atone for the fact that he goes down upon any contact.

6) I am not defending Fitz. To be clear, he was God awful. But, it looked to me as if he was hurt. Did anyone else think this?

7) Same old story, and I know it's been told

Some like jelly jelly, some like gold

Many a man's done a terrible thing

Just to get baby,

A shiny diamond ring.

8) No flag for pass interference just before the 1st half? Is that what happened? It is time to question the integrity of the NFL. Sorry, but it is. There is only one reason to overturn a call so obvious. Yes, I am making a direct allegation of corruption. Btw, there was an equally flagrant non-call at the end of the Vikes/Lions game. Economic times are tough, and I am directly accusing the league of corruption.

9) OK, more good news: Stevie Johnson made 2 spectacular catches today. I am talking about really great plays. We HAVE to keep him.

10) I have seen scads of bad Bufflo Bills football teams. This year, cameras are showing opponents laughing on the sidelines, and yes it does hurt.

11) Hang tough people. Maybe we will draft a QB. Or Courtney Upshaw. Or Donta Hightower. In any event, count me as one who thinks that we will improve next season.

12) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fitz certainly looks hurt, but the reason he can hardly hit an open receiver is because the OL is a sieve. Without a pocket to step into he simply can't execute the throws. This is where he falls very short of being a franchise QB. To be an elite QB you have to be able to make good throws even when your mechanics are forced to break down(back foot, on the run, etc..). Fitz does not have great natural arm strength or the size to stand tall in the pocket and it shows up week after week.

Yeah, this team has allowed the least amount of sacks in the league, but the QB just throws the damn ball away all day and the offense doesn't score so yes, they need OL help.

Yes, they need to keep Stevie. The problem is that Stevie is a "#1A" receiver and not a pure #1. If teamed with a true #1 receiver, a guy who can stretch the field vertically as well as horizontally, the receiving corps could be extraordinary. The problem.......he will command #1 money and the truth is that great receiving corps are flashy but don't equate to wins the way a dominant QB, OL or front 7 does. It would be just like the Bills to look past the long term need to solidify these positons and use their top pick on another perimeter player.

BTW, I kinda like Lee Smith. The Bills haven't had the amount of waiver wire and UDFA finds that they had last year but Lee Smith is one and he can play. A lot of people are whining about the Bills lacking depth. The truth is they have found depth. It's quality starters where they are short and what do you expect when you expend 10 years of top draft picks and only have 1 starter to show for it (Dareus).