Fitz Has Possibly Had A Broken Rib Since Toronto?

Let's be realistic... we're not an above average team.

When we got off to our fast start, every bounce was going our way. Luck (and not the kid from Stanford) evens out over the long run, and as luck was taken out of the equation we fell into what we really are... an average to below average team. Injuries suck, but every team has has to deal with them. We were picked to be the worst team in the league coming into the season for a reason. The expectation that we were a playoff team after beating the Patriots (when Brady had argueably his worst game as a professional) was kneejerk, as was resigning Fitz in the middle of the season to a long term deal.

I'm encouraged by the play of some of our young players, but we're still many pieces away from being in conention for a playoff run.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an excellent question. I've periodically wondered whether Fitz has been playing hurt since that hit.

The problem is that nothing about Fitz's body of work prior to this season suggests that he's a franchise QB. Even in the first seven games of this season, Fitz made a number of inaccurate throws that a franchise QB wouldn't have made. Against New England and other teams with very porous pass defenses, Fitz was very fortunate that more of his throws weren't intercepted.

Fitz had very significant early season success. But he achieved that success without very significant early season accuracy. Instead, Gailey seemed to have designed an offense that could be successful while masking both Fitz's lack of arm strength and his lack of good accuracy. This offense relied on Fitz to make very quick decisions and quick throws, to target the one receiving threat that was mismatched against a defender, and to get him the ball almost instantly. Because the throws themselves were typically very easy, Fitz's lack of accuracy didn't matter all that much.

Since then, defenses have figured out that Buffalo's passing attack poses no threat at all except for its short game. Defenses can (and have) ganged up on the short passing game, significantly reducing Buffalo's offensive success. Nothing about Fitz's play--either this season or previous seasons--suggests that that he'd be particularly good at throwing intermediate or deep passes. He is too inaccurate for that.

Is Fitz playing hurt? Maybe. Would he look better if he was healthy, or if his supporting cast had remained uninjured? Almost certainly. But none of this changes the fact that he has not, at any point, proven himself a franchise quarterback, despite having been in the league for years, and with numerous starts under his belt. If the Bills have the opportunity to draft a franchise QB in the 2012 draft, they should embrace it with open arms. I would be perfectly willing to see them trade up to obtain a franchise QB.

This post almost makes up for all the brain cells I have lost over the years reading some of the crap on this board. There is nothing more to add, it's an excellent synopsis of Fitz, not more needs to be said. I think we can keep our QB talk now to RJ vs, Flutie.

RTB

This is a good point. The few times that the Bills actually use play action, I can usually sniff it out from my living room couch. Doesn't seem to fool linebackers either.

True, Sage, but even when it's not play action, I can usually sniff out the play from my office chair and few of them seem to fool the linebackers.

Our play calling has become far too limited and predictable in a way that goes well beyond Fitz's acting ability or lack thereof

This post almost makes up for all the brain cells I have lost over the years reading some of the crap on this board. There is nothing more to add, it's an excellent synopsis of Fitz, not more needs to be said. I think we can keep our QB talk now to RJ vs, Flutie.

RTB

Thanks! :)

If there is an injury, I think it is in the chest. Cracked ribs perhaps. I would be surprised to learn that there is something wrong with his shoulder. He acted like he might be injured for a few games after the London Fletcher hit, but for the past two or three games he has seemed to be pretty much the same as he was early in the year. Maybe bruised and tired, but not significantly injured.

Fitz needs to have surgery on his beard... It's a disease called overgrowth syndrome... The procedure takes about 15 -20 minutes and he'll be fine...

The beard AIN'T going till the Sabres

are done for the year!!

There is an injury. My view is that he was

injured after he signed the contract and

has too much class to sit out and not play.