Chan is seriously terrible

Bangarang

You forget to notice that the Bills have no deep passing game. No threat of going deep. No deep talent. Period.

Without any reason to have to play a deep game, defenses can play more man and stack the box against the run.

I think the rash of injuries to the entire WR corp (really, could any team- even Green Bay- function without its top WR's?) has decimated the timing and rythym that Gailey-led offenses thrive on.

But it would be moronic to give up now. It's too early.

In 3 seasons, if this team is not in the playoffs as a legitimate threat, then it's time to fire Gailey.

There is no deep passing game because this Bills O line was the worst at allowing pressure in 3 seconds according to ESPN, and that was after game 5 when the line was mostly intact. Now that Eric Wood is on IR this line is really showing its flaws.There is no deep passing game simply because Fitz has no time to throw 5-7 step drop back passes, and he has no pocket to step up in or float around in. It collapses after 3 seconds on most plays.

But you are right, this team traded away Lee Evans and so they have no deep threat to double cover anymore.

CJ Spiller was finally starting to look good and gailey stops using him....the morons in the front office gave the idiot Dick Jauon 3 years, why shouldn't another idiot in Gailey get 3 years. Even tho Chan Gailey can't even beat tricky dickeys record of 7-9....or even his 6-10 record in which he was fired.... how pathetic is that!!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

0% chance that Gailey gets fired while Ralph owns the team

You just won't get anyone good to come here, and IMO it's more about the uncertainty of ownership and relocation than anything else

NOBODY wants to move their family somewhere, get a house to live in, and 1 year later be in the middle of a relocation and all the horrible vibes, negative PR, and pure misery that is involved. Belichick said it himself: it is pure hell to go through.

Even if the team stays, what's to say that a new owner won't just clean house?

Then there is the thing about the team's accountant cutting players and trading players without the coach/GM knowing. That is total bush-league.

No, there is no top-notch candidate that is going to risk his career to come here and hope that he doesn't walk right into a complete nightmare

Edited by TheFunPolice

Chan is a great offensive mind who is missing superior talent.

Wow. Ralph's koolaid is far stronger than Jim Jones's brew.

I don't think that it would make sense to lose Chan at this point.

IF anything, this points to the poor talent still on this team after the 1st stringers than anything else. 3 more solid drafts like this years, 2-3 more free agent signings (like Scott Chandler), and if we are not in the playoffs as a legitimate contender than I say fire Chan.

So my question...besides OLB/ edge rusher on defense, and not thinking of QB because of Fitz's contract....where do the Bills go in the 2012 draft? Heck, if we end up picking around 10-15, are there any good OLB 's available at that point? Offensive line? WR?

3 more without playoffs before you fire Gailey?? Wow, Russ Brandon, you are one tough guy to work for!

Chan is a great offensive mind who is missing superior talent.

Chan has the mind of a fair OC at the college level at best. He has shown nothing to indicate he should be a HC at the NFL level so far in his career.

This 5 wide thing of his reeks of college offense and yet even though it was solved by Ryan and proven by every opponent after the Jets, Gailey shows nothing else. That is not what a great offensive mind would do.

I do agree with the missing superior talent part though.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I still believe Chan is a quality head coach, but there are some troubling signs, including his ability to evaluate NFL caliber talent. Certainly his evaluation of Fitz played a huge part in contract extension. But it was the same Chan Gailey who just a year ago, with an entire offseason to evaluate, came to the conclusion that Edwards, not Fitz, should be the starter. He was very very wrong on that call. Evaluation and utilization of Maybin is a sore point as well.

Game management remains an issue. It was interesting that with 12 minutes to go and down by two scores in yesterday's game, Bills went to no huddle. In our last meaningful game of the season, against Titans, Chan received well deserved criticism for not running the no huddle in a very similiar situation. His decision to run it yesterday in a meaningless game makes it clear what a brain dead decision it was not to run it against Titans, a game where the Bills just ran out of time.

Each of the last 3 weeks the Bills have faced a 3rd and long from opponents 42 yard line. This should be two down territory, picking up some yardage on third down, go for it on 4th. Instead, on each occasion, Fitz throws a low percentage long pass on third, and the Bills end up punting from 42 on 4th. Seven times this year Gailey chose to punt on 4th down from the approximate 42 yard line. Only once did his defense prevent the opposing from quickly advancing it past the 40. He just continued to employ a strategy that did not work, and that is very troubling.

So many other issues that have a lack of evaluation

1. Inability to get your #9 pick on the field and when on the field, not being able to utilize his strengths.

2. Paid 15M for a backup QB to play the Wildcat and haven't used him since week 5 except for fair catching kick returns in the end zone.

3. Let go off Lee Evans, but has sorely lacked the instinct to groom David Nelson into that role.

4. Has a good go to TE in Chandler...yes a TE who can actually be a threat in the end zone and then suddenly he does not even see the field...I bet Chandler now will take his UFA status be the ball catcher for another team.

5. Loses Wood and plays Levitre at the most critical spot, when he was so ill-suited for that.

Gailey has had a very poor personnel evaluation. He cannot put the best 11 players on the field on EACH PLAY.

As a die-hard bills guy, I'm starting to accept the fact that this team will go nowhere as long as it's coached by Chan, managed by Buddy, and owned by Ralph.

This statement is 100% correct on all three points. I've been saying it since they hired Gailey. He is a mediocre head coach with a sub .500 career record. Always was and always will be.

Abandons the run. Calls the most retarded slant plays that don't do anything but waste time. Hires the worst defensive staff ever. This team is going nowhere.

Blame the coach for absolutely terrible QB play...The only fault I saw was not yanking Fitz after he continued to make poor decisions and terrible throws. You're right about the D staff, though.

1. Inability to get your #9 pick on the field and when on the field, not being able to utilize his strengths.

2. Paid 15M for a backup QB to play the Wildcat and haven't used him since week 5 except for fair catching kick returns in the end zone.

3. Let go off Lee Evans, but has sorely lacked the instinct to groom David Nelson into that role.

4. Has a good go to TE in Chandler...yes a TE who can actually be a threat in the end zone and then suddenly he does not even see the field...I bet Chandler now will take his UFA status be the ball catcher for another team.

5. Loses Wood and plays Levitre at the most critical spot, when he was so ill-suited for that.

Gailey has had a very poor personnel evaluation. He cannot put the best 11 players on the field on EACH PLAY.

In fairness to Gailey, Chandler "does not even see the field" only because he is injured.

I basically agree. Chan's decision making has to be questioned. You hit some good ones with putting levitre at center while he was having a very good year at guard and wasn't ready for center. Another is his continued move of shutting down the run, now that Jackson is gone. Another is letting the D_Coordinator continue to suck it up on the field. Same with Special teams. He needs to get in and push those coordinators to fix their problems. I don't see that.

I also question his leadership. I saw some quit out on the field by some players this past week. I hadn't seen alot of that before last week, but I think it's made it into the team.

Point 1: Man that is a decision that boggles the mind. CJ should have had 20+ touches yesterday. He would have run for a buck fifty.

point2: A bad mistake we have no use for him. The wildcat is officially extinct again in the league and was a trick play only to begin with.But we throw a boatload of cash at the guy.He could be a value trade if anyone is awake on 1BD. we have too many issues to worry about getting him playing time. Are we just keeping him as a third string Q-back? He sucks as a receiver.

point3: David Nelson is no lee Evans

point4: he's injured

Point5: One of biggest head scratchers of the season. Levitre is a very good player, the center experiment with him should have been noticed in practice that week. Then putting Urbick there just thins us out more. Did we ever sign even a dumpster quality center to be a back up? Too me the biggest WTF move of the season (fitz'a mid season extension excluded). The cutting of Hang is worse than trading Evans to the 2011 campaign. No way was that purely a "football move". He had his issues but was solid depth. We have paid the price.

I'll add #6: Why Is thigpen on the roster at what 3 million a year. That speaks volumes on Gailey's evaluating talent, because that scrub has none. 1-12 as a NFL starter. Again is he really making 3 million a year? All because Gailey coached him previously. Maybe the reason KC canned him will become more apparent if he keeps scrubs like him on the roster past training camp next year.

Like a lot of positions are O-line is a mess. Probably Chan/Nix/Litman won't agree. I had a nightmare that Hairston & Pears will be our starting tackles next year. Please someone tell them it won't work.

I'll add #6: Why Is thigpen on the roster at what 3 million a year. That speaks volumes on Gailey's evaluating talent, because that scrub has none. 1-12 as a NFL starter. Again is he really making 3 million a year? All because Gailey coached him previously. Maybe the reason KC canned him will become more apparent if he keeps scrubs like him on the roster past training camp next year.

Does anyone remember the second to last (or penultimate) game last year when Brohm played because Fitz was so banged up? That game proved once and for all that Brohm was not an NFL QB. I kind of hope they do that again this year, so it can become obvious that Thigpen is not an NFL QB. I thought Levi Brown had much more potential than Thigpen, but Gailey stuck with the guy he brought in and cut the better guy (at least, that's what it looked like in preseason). In my opinion, the second string QB next year could be the most enlightening move that this team makes. Will they stick with Thigpen, or draft somebody as an heir apparent? I hope they draft one of the top three or four QBs on everyone's list, but I would be a little optimistic even if they draft one in the middle or late rounds, to see if they can find the diamond in the rough.

It's Levy's, Phillips', Williams, Mularkey's, Jauron's, Gailey's fault! We need to get rid of them and start over. Then I expect to be competitive immediately. I'm a Bills fan and I deserve it! Waaaaaaaahhhh :sick:

We haven't been very talented since 1995. You have to get playmakers and build depth. We have no playmakers and very little depth. Under Tom Donahoe, we were on the brink of playoffs- not good enough. Jauron usually won 7 games and had us very competitive in other games and against big market teams- not good enough.

Face it, in Buffalo, it is very tough to build a legit contender. Taxes on the players' salaries are too high, the weather stinks and it isn't the friendliest place in the world. Keep running coaches and players out of town, and maybe the franchise will follow......

In fairness to Gailey, Chandler "does not even see the field" only because he is injured.

I think the point he was trying to make is that when Chandler was playing he wasn't targeted very often. When he was the primary receiver he almost always caught the ball and made a big play. He just was NOT being utilized enough.

This goes into the fact that Chan Gailey's offense never has employed the TE very often in his offensive schemes.

My take is like the poster states that Chandler could be a very potent weapon in an offense that uses him properly. Then the running game, the OP states that gailey abandons the run, even when its working so well. Stating some nonsense about overworking the frail RB. something I don't understand because Spiller is about the exact same size as Jamaal Charles - Chris Johnson.

Edited by Fear the Beard

It was not time to yank Fitz. The right move was to go back to the run with some wrinkles.

I am concerned Gailey is showing his unbending faith in Fitz when he shouldn't be. He should reduce pass attempts back to 25-30 and let the o line develop it's run blocking skill. Pound Choice in the middle and then spiller till their wheels fall off! then bring in the rookie behind C mac and pound some more.