Chan is seriously terrible

Bangarang

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously the biggest problem is the talent of the players that are on the field both as a result of injuries and poor drafting/trades/free agent signings. But the Bills haven't just lost the last seven weeks, in six out of seven games, they've completely laid down once they were behind. The bills current talent level is really bad, but its not drastically worse than teams like cleveland, indy, KC, Washington, or for that matter, the Miami team that just whipped us again. All of those teams are out of the playoffs, yet they went out and put up a fight today and played with some pride. For whatever reason, the Bills have quit on Chan at this point. I'm not saying any players are making a conscious decision to not play hard on certain plays, but I know from playing on good and bad teams, that a team just plays with a certain energy when they believe in their coaches and in themselves. When they don't, they tend to play sluggish when things start to go downhill. I know these are grown men and professionals, but human beings are human beings and emotion is part of the game. I never thought I'd say this just a few weeks ago, but I think that the Bills performance during this losing streak is showing that Chan just doesn't have what it takes to get the most out of his guys. It's time for him to go.

Do you think the players realize the play calling, game planning, favoritism towards certain players, and lack of innovation are setting them up for failure? Most NFL players are pretty smart guys. They know what works and what doesn't.

Just trying to get some opinions out there from fellow Bills sufferers...ERRRR..fans. I know that coaches (especially here) are usually given a three year window to produce reasonable success. And, while we finished 4-12 last year and likely will finish 5-11 this year, its hardly the "improvement" we were looking for, especially given the 5-2 start we had this year. Anyway, the question is, if this team does in fact finish losing 9 consecutive games, is Chan Gailey out in Buffalo? I personally don't believe it will happen, but losing 9 straight after starting so well is inexcusable.

Lombardi as Head Coach and Parcells as his assistant couldnt over come our injuries. Our whole roster was whipped out....we even lost our kicker...who loses a kicker?.

Changing coaches so often doesn't help a team, IMHO. But I do think that if Chan survives he is going to be on a short least next season. If they start badly, he will be out the door.

I do expect some changing of the coaching staff after the season is over. I think Edwards is gone, whether the trouble of the defense is his fault or not. Probably some other changes, too.

Just trying to get some opinions out there from fellow Bills sufferers...ERRRR..fans. I know that coaches (especially here) are usually given a three year window to produce reasonable success. And, while we finished 4-12 last year and likely will finish 5-11 this year, its hardly the "improvement" we were looking for, especially given the 5-2 start we had this year. Anyway, the question is, if this team does in fact finish losing 9 consecutive games, is Chan Gailey out in Buffalo? I personally don't believe it will happen, but losing 9 straight after starting so well is inexcusable.

Chan has at least one more year. I think it's more likely that he gets two. Gotta remember - this team has a SEVERE lack of talent. How many players from our roster would start for Green Bay or New England??

Can you name two?

(Our best linebacker is someone that Green Bay CUT!)

Edited by Mr_Blizzard

they won the SB last year with more injuries than we have.

Our starters would be backups on the packers. that makes our backups 3rd stringeres. We have guy starting on our team who couldnt make the Packers practice squad.

Apples and Oranges They have a franchise QB that stayed healthy...we dont, we rely on our team to win games.

I've been thinking the same thing. Unlike other's who have replied, I think the injury thing is crap. Our O is the most hurt, and they still aren't giving up sacks and are still opening holes for the running game. It's not the injuries preventing us from scoring, it's our coaching, Fitz, and WR's.

However, I think Chan gets another year because they don't have any other options. No one wanted the job last time. Cowher, Fisher, Gruden...no big name coach would touch this job. Nix knows what it's like trying to get players and coaches to come here.

I think he'll use the injury excuse, but that's only from lack of options

Obviously the biggest problem is the talent of the players that are on the field both as a result of injuries and poor drafting/trades/free agent signings. But the Bills haven't just lost the last seven weeks, in six out of seven games, they've completely laid down once they were behind. The bills current talent level is really bad, but its not drastically worse than teams like cleveland, indy, KC, Washington, or for that matter, the Miami team that just whipped us again. All of those teams are out of the playoffs, yet they went out and put up a fight today and played with some pride. For whatever reason, the Bills have quit on Chan at this point. I'm not saying any players are making a conscious decision to not play hard on certain plays, but I know from playing on good and bad teams, that a team just plays with a certain energy when they believe in their coaches and in themselves. When they don't, they tend to play sluggish when things start to go downhill. I know these are grown men and professionals, but human beings are human beings and emotion is part of the game. I never thought I'd say this just a few weeks ago, but I think that the Bills performance during this losing streak is showing that Chan just doesn't have what it takes to get the most out of his guys. It's time for him to go.

Do you think the players realize the play calling, game planning, favoritism towards certain players, and lack of innovation are setting them up for failure? Most NFL players are pretty smart guys. They know what works and what doesn't.

I often wonder how open the coaches on this team are open to suggestions from players and how much input the players offer.

I would think that the offense has lost confidence in Gailey's direction. How could they not?

I read a PFT blurb earlier this week that the Vikings DBs were simply ignoring the coverages called in from the sidelines because they had no faith in the coach calling those coverages.

I think Chan is safe for 2012. Also, I have to wonder just how hot Edwards seat is. Not a word yet from 1BD.

The southern states chapter of the good old boys club can probably BS anyone with the "injury bug" causing the 2011 setback.

Chan needs to get Gailey some NFL level players. Then Gailey needs to burn his Georgia tech playbook. Because it ain't working.

Trading Brad Smith would be a great start. He might have some value elsewhere.

Nix has to re evaluate the commitment to Fitz. For some reason I don't think that is going to happen.

I am not a fan of Chan and his staff, but there is little he can do with the talent he has on the field. Also, Fitz is terrible because he lost his best blockers, runningback and receivers. Any coach or quarterback in this situation looks bad.

I wonder if things would have been different for the careers of some of our "busts" if they had a quality organization operating this franchise, as committed to winning as some of the others.

Do we honestly think that the elite GMs, coaches and players stay away from Buffalo because of the demographics? They couldn't care less if it is a small market with a struggling economy. If you were one of the best GMs, coaches or players out there, you would want to go to an organizaton that will pay for quality at all levels (not just your salary), because you want the team's performance (and yours) to have the best chance to succeed. Therefore, joining the Bills organization is a high risk career move for anyone. So we get mediocre talent at all levels, at bargain basement prices. An occasional acquisition gets a lucrative contract to suck in the more gullible fans. The spin is "we will build through the draft," which really means no top free agents would come here. We never have an abundance of talent because the franchise only commits to having a few.

Ask yourself, "when was the last time a proven top staff member or player (at the peak of their career) joined the group at One Bills Drive?" The best ones we acquired (Polian, Levy, Kelly, etc.) were not considered elite or not even in the NFL before we got them, so we were lucky. Dropping down to the "good" category, there are some, but it's a short list. Certainly not a glowing report card over 51 years.

Fitz lost his best receivers?? Who are "Stevie Johnson" and "David Nelson"?

Otherwise I agree with a lot of your post.

I used to be on the Chan Gailey bandwagon.

After today, no more. I'm tired of abandoning the run when it works. I'm tired of seeing a man enamored with his game plan, with refusal to adjust it to conditions and personnel. I'm tired of this lousy coaching staff he put together.

I'm tired of this season.

He lost me weeks ago when he abandoned the run against the Cowboys, especially when Jackson was tearing it up. Gailey calls games like a little girl, if the bills get behind all he calls are pass plays trying to catch up. Turk Schonert was no better.

Ya know what tho, April comes around and everyone forgets how inept he is, they all think the draft is going to send the Bills to the SB next year.