Please Admit This Season Was Disappointing

MacAddict104

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is russ brandon a fantastic marketing executive? Other than the training camp extravaganza from his first days.

Frankly, the Bills' marketing has been lazy and uninspiring compared to any other major pro sports franchise. From ads to game presentation.

Also, we dont sell out a game, and this 'marketing genious' throws dirt in the fans' faces by saiying he doesnt want to 'devalue the product'. I didnt mind them not eating the tix, but that comment really hit me in a bad way. In fact, it convinced me to no-show on Sunday.

This guy is only in there due to him making Ralph money with the St John Fisher thing, and Ralph being too old to care about growing the franchise.

And Brandon is the CEO or COO now, right?

Man, can you start more threads about the Bills inability to make the playoffs the past 10 years?

I was going to start a thread called "A Losing Tradition - MacAddict104's 10 year whining process", but figured the board doesn't need yet another nonsensical thread about something that is obvious to everyone.

How is russ brandon a fantastic marketing executive? Other than the training camp extravaganza from his first days.

Frankly, the Bills' marketing has been lazy and uninspiring compared to any other major pro sports franchise. From ads to game presentation.

Also, we dont sell out a game, and this 'marketing genious' throws dirt in the fans' faces by saiying he doesnt want to 'devalue the product'. I didnt mind them not eating the tix, but that comment really hit me in a bad way. In fact, it convinced me to no-show on Sunday.

This guy is only in there due to him making Ralph money with the St John Fisher thing, and Ralph being too old to care about growing the franchise.

And Brandon is the CEO or COO now, right?

He's a great marketing guy because he's found a way to sell out a 70,000 seat stadium about 75% with an inferior product, in a depressed economy.

How many NFL teams have seen attendance/interest decline during losing season? Theres a lot... And when this happens profits aren't as high as they should be, hence "rebuilding." Most owners have a sense of urgency, partly because a winning team means MORE money for everyone associated with the team in the city.

Of course, we have the one owner who has ZERO sense of urgency, despite being 90 FREAKIN years old.

Honestly, I do think Ralph wants to win but he is too closed-minded and out-of-touch to realize what you have to do to compete in the NFL in 2011.

Until the team is in another's owners control, we all know we'll never see the postseason. And that's sad

Man, can you start more threads about the Bills inability to make the playoffs the past 10 years?

I was going to start a thread called "A Losing Tradition - MacAddict104's 10 year whining process", but figured the board doesn't need yet another nonsensical thread about something that is obvious to everyone.

Good to know that it's obvious that the Bills will never see a postseason game until Ralph steps out of the way

Honestly, I do think Ralph wants to win but he is too closed-minded and out-of-touch to realize what you have to do to compete in the NFL in 2011.

Until the team is in another's owners control, we all know we'll never see the postseason. And that's sad

Good to know that it's obvious that the Bills will never see a postseason game until Ralph steps out of the way

So you have an infatuation for Ralph. What is your problem? ANSWER THE QUESTION: Why do you root for the Bills? Or are you just a troll?

PS What so you mean by we?

Edited by SactoBillFan

I understand your frustration and I certainly understand your lack of patience given the BILLS "10 Year Rebuilding Process". That being said, it is still quite unfair to already deem Nix as a questionable GM and evaluator of talent. If you're going to question his capabilities you have to take his entire resume into account, which includes his time with the Chargers. And you can say, he doesn't get all the credit for those picks in San Diego, and you'd be right, but then he doesn't take all the blame for the picks with the BILLS so far either. That's not to say he doesn't take the lion's share of the blame if the draft picks turn out to be a bad batch, but he also relies on the evluation of those giving him the information and while it may have been a year longer than we all wanted, and knew should have been, it was just this first draft that all of his evaluators and scouts are his choosing. So, we still need another year before we can have good information as to Nix's ability to evaluate talent and administrate a front office for an NFL team...

I understand your frustration and I certainly understand your lack of patience given the BILLS "10 Year Rebuilding Process". That being said, it is still quite unfair to already deem Nix as a questionable GM and evaluator of talent. If you're going to question his capabilities you have to take his entire resume into account, which includes his time with the Chargers. And you can say, he doesn't get all the credit for those picks in San Diego, and you'd be right, but then he doesn't take all the blame for the picks with the BILLS so far either. That's not to say he doesn't take the lion's share of the blame if the draft picks turn out to be a bad batch, but he also relies on the evluation of those giving him the information and while it may have been a year longer than we all wanted, and knew should have been, it was just this first draft that all of his evaluators and scouts are his choosing. So, we still need another year before we can have good information as to Nix's ability to evaluate talent and administrate a front office for an NFL team...

As someone stated earlier... In this decade it doesn't take FOUR years to turn around a team. When an owner and GM hire the right people there's no reason to think an uncompetitive team can't turn things around in a season or two. This is what a GOOD GM does. If they don't succeed in a few years, you get rid of them and find someone who can. Theres a lot of saavy, experienced people in the NFL and we dont bring them in. We have been a failure for years now and it's sad.

I get your point about giving Buddy Nix a chance, but has anything he done really made you think "Wow, he really knows what he's doing?" I haven't gotten this feeling about him. Sure much of this is based on Wilson's track record of putting incompetent people in charge.

But what makes you think history won't repeat itself? What makes you think Nix will succeed where then previous GM's have failed?

So you have an infatuation for Ralph. What is your problem? ANSWER THE QUESTION: Why do you root for the Bills? Or are you just a troll?

PS What so you mean by we?

I am NOT a troll but yeah I'm not thrilled about how things are going with this team.

I've grown up a Bills fan throughout my childhood. I wore the old vinyl Starter jacket to school and grew up wanting to see the Bills FINALLY win the big one. They've come close, several times but I keep hoping they'll finally do it. Throughout the 90's they were very competitive but over the last 10 years it's been pathetic. I want to be optimistic, but there's no reason to think that things will be better when it's the same old, same old

Why? It takes teams maybe three years to rebuild... It takes Buffalo 11 and counting.... I like a team of huge Losers!

MacAddict, I think the point that's trying to be made is that as Bills fans, we're all enormously frustrated and would like to see our beloved Bills be a contender for a change. Preferably a built-to-last, perennial contender.

It just gets dull to read the same gnashing of teeth and stomping of feet, over and over again, even for people who rather agree with you.

+1

Some may call the repeat threads about similar stuff a crusade.

I am NOT a troll but yeah I'm not thrilled about how things are going with this team.

I've grown up a Bills fan throughout my childhood. I wore the old vinyl Starter jacket to school and grew up wanting to see the Bills FINALLY win the big one. They've come close, several times but I keep hoping they'll finally do it. Throughout the 90's they were very competitive but over the last 10 years it's been pathetic. I want to be optimistic, but there's no reason to think that things will be better when it's the same old, same old

how is this the same old same old. Chan gailey is regared as one of the better offensive minds in the game. Some have said top 5. Buddy nix is thought of highly as a talent evaluator . Kind of funny how the chargers have taken a huge step backwards since he left. Haley comes from the single best run team in the nfl. Dickie j left a mess and Buddy decided to disassemble most of the rest his.

Now in year two you se great improvement over year one . This team has played very well, losing tough games to cinny and the ginats . They have had massive injuries . They hit one three game rough patch and somemany fans are ready to jump ship.

By rough patch the way I see it is this. At 5-2 the team , the fan base, the media is so geared up for the Jet game that after the defeat there is a massive let down. This leads to the cowbow game. They came out flat and got their butt kicked. Happens to everyone. Heck the Ravens destroys Pittsbugh earlier this year, the saints lost to the Rams and ect.

To me the Real problem came in Miami, chans first real gaffe as coach. We all know the defense is not where it needs to me yet so unless they are getting turnovers 24 or more points are going to be needed to win . The fact that levite could not snap the ball at all totalally threw off the offense. Try to play qb with all the reads and responsiblites you have after you have to collect a bad snap , not easy.

That brings us to last week and dispite theinjuries the Bills returned to form. In my opinon they are slightly less talented then the JETS and as a result they lost a close game.

My guess is thye end up 8-8 0r 9-7 , which is the kind of progress you need.It leaves that with in a win or two of a playoff team. That is what year three is for. By the way I think next years schedule is much easier, nfc west , afc south, but I could be wrong on that.

Edited by jcbillsfan

This

I call it idiotodic

As someone stated earlier... In this decade it doesn't take FOUR years to turn around a team. When an owner and GM hire the right people there's no reason to think an uncompetitive team can't turn things around in a season or two. This is what a GOOD GM does. If they don't succeed in a few years, you get rid of them and find someone who can. Theres a lot of saavy, experienced people in the NFL and we dont bring them in. We have been a failure for years now and it's sad.

I get your point about giving Buddy Nix a chance, but has anything he done really made you think "Wow, he really knows what he's doing?" I haven't gotten this feeling about him. Sure much of this is based on Wilson's track record of putting incompetent people in charge.

But what makes you think history won't repeat itself? What makes you think Nix will succeed where then previous GM's have failed?

Because he is better. Levy/Jouron are not gm's. Donohue had a good rep but was a crazy risk taker. You might ask yourself how have others triumphed whioe those two failed .

Many Bills fans consider this franchise to be in "year two" of the rebuilding process. However they forget that this franchise has been "rebuilding" since 2001. Allow me to explain:

2001-2005 Tom Donahoe Era. Donahoe inherited a team on salary cap hell and did a decent job of finding talent. The problem was he had a huge ego and hired young, subservient coaches as opposed to strong leaders. He really bombed big in Buffalo, but give Ralph credit for giving the money and power to someone from the outside with a proven track record and experience. Sadly this would be the ONLY time Ralph would venture outside his comfort zone.

2006-2008 The Marv Levy Era - Wilson coaxed former coach Levy into the GM role. Marv had little interest in the job and his tenure was a disaster, marred by his poor selection of Dick Jauron as head coach and several poor draft picks. He was seen as more of a "figure head" thana true GM, as the remaining members of Donahoe's failed staff stayed to do day-to-day operations.

2008-2009 The Faux GM When Marv stepped down Wilson replaced him with......NO ONE. Russ Brandon was named president but once again, Donahoe's flunkies were running the show with input from Jauron. Once again these teams were very bad.

The Buddy Nix Era - Jury is still out, though the results are not encouraging. In two years, Buddy took a team that was 6-10 and went 4-12. This year we may be lucky to get to 6-10. So in two years we might actually be no better off. Buddy's draft record is suspect at best, with the big miss on underperforming CJ Spiller. The talent he has found on this team are overachievers who work hard, but are not elite NFl players.

So that's 11 years of rebuilding.... 4 different eras.... 0 playoff wins.... And countless frustrations for the good people of WNY.

Whether you blame Donahoe, Jauron, Modrak, or Bledsoe there has been ONE constant here.... Old Man Wilson.

UNTIL THIS TEAM IS UNDER NEW OWNERSHIP THEY WILL FOREVER BE A LOSING FRANCHISE -- mark my words. We can't win with Wilson's loser mentality!

Pretty good summary of the last 10 years actually.

I differ on a few comments. I do not think that Donahoe did a good job of finding talent. I think he drafted for the big splash and gambled on McGahee and Losman. As you stated his coach selection was poor. He was overrated and set the franchise way back.

I think Marv's short era found some real gems (Stevie, Kyle and Freddy for example) but whiffed on Whitner, McCargo, and Poz.

The killer is the limbo era with no GM, Jauron and Brandon. Who runs a football team like that? This was another set back period because it made it impossible for a proven big name coach to even consider coming to Buffalo.

Buddy Nix? - was shall eee. So far I am way more impressed with Chan than with Buddy.

The blaming of Ralph is is a constant here. No Ralph, no team guys. Lets face that sad fact.

Edited by Bob in STL

Realistic Fan" Hell yes this year was a dissapointment".

Bill-iever: "We're not out of it yet", "But Player X really showed me something this year", "Next year we're going all the way", "We're just a player or two short of being a contendor" (blah blah blah)

Ok good. It seems like most people are in agreement with me. This franchise has MAJOR issues and it's very unlikely they'll ever make the playoffs under current ownership. .

BUT rather than dwelling in the depressing truth, it's important to BILL-EIVE that we'll somehow catch a break. I get it now. People aren't saying that my comments about the franchise being flawed are untrue, they just would rather turn a blind eye to the dark side and accentuate the few positives.

If anyone's from Buffalo, I am very much like columnist Jerry Sullivan. I love this team but hate to see them fumble around for years now

Disappointing...what were our expectations?

Disappointing that our best players got injured...yes

Disappointing that we showed real promise at the start of the year and don't still...yes

Disappointing that we have a team talented enough to beat the patriots when we're relatively healthy? no

If you don't mind, I'm going to wait until the end of the season before I actually proclaim how I felt about the whole season.

Realistic Fan" Hell yes this year was a dissapointment".

Bill-iever: "We're not out of it yet", "But Player X really showed me something this year", "Next year we're going all the way", "We're just a player or two short of being a contendor" (blah blah blah)

It's hard to win in the NFL