why don't the Bills throw to Spiller out of the Back field?

I don't mean like screen pass, and don't get me wrong freddy stays on the field to run draws, block, etc. Instead of puting him on the line where he can get bumped and held, why not let him come out of the backfield and run some short to intermediate route. He would have a running start, and likely be pick up by a linebacker or saftey in space. If he covered by a saftey that would open up the tightend or Nelson in the slot. New England has been doing it for years with Kevin Faulk. Team would also not be able to blitz as well, give fitz more time to set up a big play.

i dont get it either...get him the ball on the run and let him try and make something happen

one of my favorite plays is passing to the RB coming out of the backfield circling around the d-line

i am not a fan of the 5 wide empty backfield formation...why tell the defense what you are doing

Edited by Max997

One, and only one real reason:

Fred Jackson is having a league leading pro bowl season. You play the hot hand, the end.

One is not to the exclusivity of the other. The Bills need to start giving the ball to both Jackson and Spiller. Obviously Jackson will get the bulk of carries, but Spiller needs to start seeing the ball a lot more than he has. A few weeks ago people were laughing at the thought of Tebow being successful at this level. These guys played in the SEC, it's the minor leagues of the NFL. I'd tell Spiller to forget about running to the hole, just run to daylight and don't stop till you score a TD. Spiller looks like a player that's been over coached to death.

One is not to the exclusivity of the other. The Bills need to start giving the ball to both Jackson and Spiller. Obviously Jackson will get the bulk of carries, but Spiller needs to start seeing the ball a lot more than he has. A few weeks ago people were laughing at the thought of Tebow being successful at this level. These guys played in the SEC, it's the minor leagues of the NFL. I'd tell Spiller to forget about running to the hole, just run to daylight and don't stop till you score a TD. Spiller looks like a player that's been over coached to death.

You might have a point about him being overcoached.

But you can tell he not comfy on the field for some reason. I think he is still thinking to much to let his natural talent take over.

But he needs more snaps i agree on that.

Yes, they should use Spiller out of the backfield. They should line up both Spiller and Freddie and then put Spiller in motion. Let Fritz audiabilize to which side he should go after he comes up to the line of scrimmage. That would get Spiller in space and add a bit of confusion and some extra options to what play could happen.

You might have a point about him being overcoached.

But you can tell he not comfy on the field for some reason. I think he is still thinking to much to let his natural talent take over.

But he needs more snaps i agree on that.

Yet, I can just hear Gailey in the offseason saying "I didn't do a good job of getting him the ball..." like he did last offseason.

They've pretty much thrown Spiller out of the backfield already.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah but for some reason it seems to always bee to the sideline or a route where CJ has to stop and wait for the ball.....we dont see a lot of plays where CJ is actually moving when he catches it.....

This where I feel CJ could really help us.....he does have that "0-60" ability and we dont seem to get him the ball in situations where he can use it......they are always in situations where the ball is there so late that defenders are already all over it.

Why would you think that? He doesn't have many fumbles, or a reputation for fumbling

Last season he lost at least one fumble, I think maybe even a couple of fumbles. Considering how few touches he had last season, that could be a serious concern. Maybe he fumbles in practice. However, I feel that they should use him more than they do. The idea that Fred should be an every down back is worrisome to me. Fred fumbled in each of the last two games. I don't think that is a sign of trouble to come, but it may be a symptom of too much reliance on one guy. Fred should be the main guy for now, but not the only guy.

he fumbled and he dropped last year. he could not block nor read blitz. Thats ok he is a kid who was just used to running fast as he could.

I have seen alot of improvement with him in what little bit he has played.

But to the OP, absolutely lets get him the ball on the move. Fred should not be taking the pounding. let the kid take some abuse, he's earned it.

I figured we were saving the goodtrickniftystuff for our playoff run. Well it seems that if we have a run it will start against Miami!

I don't mean like screen pass, and don't get me wrong freddy stays on the field to run draws, block, etc. Instead of puting him on the line where he can get bumped and held, why not let him come out of the backfield and run some short to intermediate route. He would have a running start, and likely be pick up by a linebacker or saftey in space. If he covered by a saftey that would open up the tightend or Nelson in the slot. New England has been doing it for years with Kevin Faulk. Team would also not be able to blitz as well, give fitz more time to set up a big play.

Tough queation. It MIGHT be because he has short arms, bad hands, and goes down if someone breathes heavily.

Other than that I'm not so sure.

Tough queation. It MIGHT be because he has short arms, bad hands, and goes down if someone breathes heavily.

Other than that I'm not so sure.

I take this to mean that you were not happy when Spiller was drafted. At the time I was telling my friends that I would be disappointed if the Bills drafted anyone that weighed less than 300 pounds, either for offense or defense. I was not at all pleased when Spiller was picked.