why don't the Bills throw to Spiller out of the Back field?

Not always, but generally, when you see a guy on a swing pass or flare pass, their first job is pass protection and blitz pickup. If/when nobody shows the back moves to the outside as a safety valve. The back is in 1 on 1 coverage with an LB who is probably spying him or a CB who is in zone coverage.

The reason Spiller doesn't get this play is because he sucks at blitz pickup. And Fred is unreal this season.

I think the Bills need to see what they have with Spiller. They know what they have in Fred Jackson. And, you can't just wait for Fred to get hurt, throw Spiller in there for one game, and if he chances to do poorly, say he is a bust. You shouldn't, either, wait until the whole line, that has otherwise been playing pretty good till now, is rearranged, half hurt, and expect great things from him. Instead, considering his talents, he should be out there from game one, at least a third of the time. Gailey should be finding ways to use Spiller effectively and to make him a real weapon, rather than making sure Jackson doesn't feel underappreciated. I'm sure a team like Green Bay, or New England, or New Orleans, would take Spiller and make him a superstar.

As for the Jets, and going forward, I think we these are pretty good ideas: Considering our line is in bad shape, and our Center is not accustomed to the position - and teams will probably be coming hard at our QB and toward the backfield, we should use both Fred and Spiller simultaneously, or even have Spiller, Fred, and McIntyre back there, as an extra blocker. If the edges give and there's pressure, splitting Fred and Spiller out wide should create some screen opportunities. Or run them both, in various creative ways, to the tune of 65 or 70 percent of our play calling. Other teams with less talented running backs have committed to that style of play.

And, when the defense is sure we're running most of the time, then maybe we can start using play action to get some nice deep routes working.

Anyway, I agree - I want to see Spiller. He will be good!

Edited by sllib olaffub

One, and only one real reason:

Fred Jackson is having a league leading pro bowl season. You play the hot hand, the end.

How many other teams use 2 backs out of the back field ? Talk about a double threat out of our back field defenses wouldn't know what to do if Chan put something like that together !! :worthy:

I don't mean like screen pass, and don't get me wrong freddy stays on the field to run draws, block, etc. Instead of puting him on the line where he can get bumped and held, why not let him come out of the backfield and run some short to intermediate route. He would have a running start, and likely be pick up by a linebacker or saftey in space. If he covered by a saftey that would open up the tightend or Nelson in the slot. New England has been doing it for years with Kevin Faulk. Team would also not be able to blitz as well, give fitz more time to set up a big play.

Don't you know that Spiller is a bust and Freddy Jackson is god?

Seriously though I don't know why he is not used more. He has a great average per carry but he averages 2 carries an entire game. We need to use our run game more and not beat the crap out of Freddy every week. If we are going to get on track and attempt to get into the playoffs for the first time in YEARS we need Freddy to be fresh at the end of the year by using our other options in the run game.

Everyone forgot how depleted our WR core was due to injury and trades at the beginning of the season because we were putting up points. Opposing defenses are figuring out how to slow down our passing game. For some reason we aren't running those bunched formations that were working so well for us. It might be time to lean on the run game and go a little deeper. Freddy should still be getting almost 20 touches per game including the run and the pass but Spiller should be getting 7 or so total touches.

Edited by PDaDdy

AMEN AMEN & AMEN (Which means make it so) the fastest & possibly the most explosive guy on our team & in the last 2 games of which we lost & looks like will be 3 with what the Fins are doing so far , the guy has NO plays to get him in the offense & has a total of like 3 touches last game .

:blink: GO FIGURE :blink: 1st round #9 over all riding the pine :blink: I DON'T F N GET IT !!!!! :doh:

OH ! TOO FIRE EDWARDS HE AIN'T GETTIN IT DONE :thumbdown: :thumbdown: !!!

Edited by T master