Is Spiller any less of a bust than Maybin?

beggar13

I ask because I am truly not sure at this point. Both are/were infective as can be. I understand you could argue that Spiller technically has done more, but I think that's only because he has seen more playing time. I am really discouraged by his lack of ability to take advantage of the plays that are called for him. If Fred went out with a season end injury this past week, it would be amazingly difficult for me to imagine the scenario where CJ steps up and shows that he can handle the load. I know I'm just reiterating other Bills fans woes, but GD do I wish we could make good draft picks in the early rounds!! I do love Dareus though, so at least we have that going for us.

I don't think anyone is sure at this point. Obviously he has been a disappointment thus far and IMO was a terrible draft pick given the many pressing needs on the team. But that doesn't mean he can't still develop into a more consistent contributor with a healthy OL and a more balanced attack.

We need to give it another season before passing judgment here, but I for one am not optimistic he will ever develop into more than a change-of-pace back.

I'd say no. Spiller hasn't produced largely cuz he hasn't been needed. He was drafted as a 3rd string RB! (IMO, it was a stupid pick) Were we to need him to be on the field, I'm confident that he'd be at least mediocre.

Maybin OTOH, was a pick that addressed a specific need (which is STILL a need). The fact that he was barely able to see the field w/ at best mediocre talent in front of him is indicative of just how poor he was.

WRT Maybin, I'm curious as to why he was unable to make much/any impact on ST. Seems despite his inability to play LB (or worse, DE as originally intended) you'd think someone of his desire (by all accts effort was not his problem) & athletic ability should be sufficient to do well on ST.

Stop it.

Fred is MVP candidate.

Chan needs to use CJ more in the slot, and take a shot at him deep 1-2 times PER game (again, one drop doesn't justify anything, I've seen him make that play for a long gain/TD tens of times in college).

I ask because I am truly not sure at this point. Both are/were infective as can be. I understand you could argue that Spiller technically has done more, but I think that's only because he has seen more playing time. I am really discouraged by his lack of ability to take advantage of the plays that are called for him. If Fred went out with a season end injury this past week, it would be amazingly difficult for me to imagine the scenario where CJ steps up and shows that he can handle the load. I know I'm just reiterating other Bills fans woes, but GD do I wish we could make good draft picks in the early rounds!! I do love Dareus though, so at least we have that going for us.

I hate to be a pessimist but I don't see anything CJ has shown so far that tells me he is worthy of a 1st round pick. He may be fast but I don't see the quickness or elusiveness all the great ones have. I hope I'm proven wrong.

spiller doesn't even come close to maybin.

maybin is a complete bust.

spiller's destiny is incomplete, unfortunately for him, he sits behind one of , if not "the" best RB in the NFL. i don't think he will ever live up to #8 overall status, but i still think he has many productive years ahead of him.

no

Spiller is not a bust because it is obvious he knows what football is and the general idea of the game. Maybin on the other hand does not know what football is and only understands that "there is a QB and I should try to side step people quickly and without getting touched because I am lighter than a feather."

Edited by The Cincinnati Kid

The difference between Spiller and Maybin is while neither showed much 1 1/2 years in --- Spiller actually looks good at times; while Maybin NEVER looked good -- bottom line, Gaily has to play Spiller more at RB and find a way to use him along with Fred Jackson --- and then let his play on the filed be the judging factor

spiller doesn't even come close to maybin.

maybin is a complete bust.

spiller's destiny is incomplete, unfortunately for him, he sits behind one of , if not "the" best RB in the NFL. i don't think he will ever live up to #8 overall status, but i still think he has many productive years ahead of him.

And he is a pretty decent pass catcher too. I am far from giving up on CJ. He wasn't the best pick for our team needs in 2010, but he is way more productive than Maybin ever was.

I wouldn't put Spiller in that category yet. While Maybin did absolutely nothing on a team that lacked any semblance of a pass rush, Spiller is being relegated to the bench by a RB playing like an All Pro. Under those circumstances, it may simply be that the coaching staff doesn't want to take Fred Jackson off the field and can't figure out how to use Spiller otherwise. And lets not forget that Spiller is averaging 6.3 yards on the few carries he gets.

No, I think it could still go either way with Spiller. He may turn out to be a complete flop, but with Fred Jackson playing as well as he is and Spiller's playing time severely curbed as a result, I would not be stunned to see Spiller prove to be a very good player once he's given a real opportunity.

Well i've heard Gailey's side with Maybin , I've heard Maybin's comments when he was let go . I watched some of last nights game & the one time i saw Maybin he was Mr. Hustle & was actually putting some pressure on Brady .

One comment Maybin made was something like you can't learn or prove your self when you are sitting on the side line & only in on 5 plays or less a game !!

Enter CJ Spiller , you mean to tell me that in todays NFL there's not room in the back field for Jackson & Spiller at the same time & use motion to use your 9th over all pick in the draft more than something like 30 plays in 8 games GIVE ME AN F N BREAK !!!!

Spiller is another weapon that could turn huge dividends if he was ON THE FIELD but you can't get production when he's on the side line !!! And last i knew fruit rots when it's left on the tree or the vine !!

He has to be on the field before you can call him a bust !! The guy has 4.3 speed you mean to tell me that can't be used some way , some how ??

COME ON MAN !!!!!!! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Well i've heard Gailey's side with Maybin , I've heard Maybin's comments when he was let go . I watched some of last nights game & the one time i saw Maybin he was Mr. Hustle & was actually putting some pressure on Brady .

One comment Maybin made was something like you can't learn or prove your self when you are sitting on the side line & only in on 5 plays or less a game !!

Enter CJ Spiller , you mean to tell me that in todays NFL there's not room in the back field for Jackson & Spiller at the same time & use motion to use your 9th over all pick in the draft more than something like 30 plays in 8 games GIVE ME AN F N BREAK !!!!

Spiller is another weapon that could turn huge dividends if he was ON THE FIELD but you can't get production when he's on the side line !!! And last i knew fruit rots when it's left on the tree or the vine !!

He has to be on the field before you can call him a bust !! The guy has 4.3 speed you mean to tell me that can't be used some way , some how ??

COME ON MAN !!!!!!! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

and that is the point, there's a reason he's not on the field = he's just not that good, #9 pick or not

Erik Flowers was better than Maybin

Making distinctions within the category is useless. At the same point in their careers neither contributed enough to justify their draft position. At least had one earned a starting role you could argue they were drafted too high like Whitner, but that's a disappointment not a bust. Spiller has a chance to not be a bust a he's still here, let's hope he emerges. We desperately need a new weapon on offense.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Making distinctions within the category is useless. At the same point in their careers neither contributed enough to justify their draft position. At least had one earned a starting role you could argue they were drafted too high like Whitner, but that's a disappointment not a bust. Spiller has a chance to not be a bust a he's still here, let's hope he emerges. We desperately need a new weapon on offense.

I hope they use him in the slot more. He's got good hands and should be able to take some pressure off Stevie

Spiller will be just fine IMO. He is perhaps slow to develop but I believe he will. But he was drafted into a difficult situation with Lynch and Jackson on the team and he was also placed in a difficult position by Gailey looking to put him ahead of Jackson earlier this year. Jackson was already an established player when that happened. Multiple 1000 yard seasons with a jersey hanging in Canton. Don't know whether Gailey was just trying to motivate Jackson (hardly seems necessary since he is the world's greatest self starter) or, more likely Spiller, who seemed at the end of last year to have lost confidence. Unfortunately whatever the intention, it angered Jackson, who is a 30 year old RB who has been stuffed by the system and just looking to be paid what he is worth, which is a lot more than he is earning. CJ is a nice young man who respects his elders, which means he pretty much had to step back from the role Chan was envisioning for him (even if Chan was not really serious about it)rather than assert himself and appear ridiculous.

I like what I've seen of Spiller this year. He is aclimating to the pro game. IMO in two years people will not be thinking bust. Quite the contrary. He could very well be tearing it up.

As for Maybin, well thats a very different story.

Anyone on this board could have picked Dareus. It's very tough to blow the third overall pick in the draft. Spiller? Brad Smith? Merriman? WTF? This front office has a lot to prove next year. I Promised I would not call for Nix's head until next year but if I was forced to make that decision today he would not be here.

Anyone on this board could have picked Dareus. It's very tough to blow the third overall pick in the draft. Spiller? Brad Smith? Merriman? WTF? This front office has a lot to prove next year. I Promised I would not call for Nix's head until next year but if I was forced to make that decision today he would not be here.

have to agree. 1st round rb should be producing by now. jackson is great but a two headed attack would be much better. spiller isn't making any defenses game plan against him. nix gets, at best, a D on this pick.