Underlying Problem?

uncle flap

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody watch or listen to the post-game press conferences the past two weeks?

Chan's presser

I'm hearing a lot of the same sentiment, and it seems to me that Chan has these guys convinced that it is simply a matter or execution, and/or playing harder.

I don't think it's that simple. Yes, the guys played flat. Everyone would've liked to see the Bills get up for a big home game last week. Then after getting smacked in your own house, you'd think the Bills could've played with a little more passion down in Dallas.

Here's the rub: Once again, the play calling has become predictable - on both sides of the ball.

Screens don't work when DBs and LBs are sitting on short routes anyway. Defense needs to be able to make on field adjustments without coaches clearance.

I could go on - but my point here is that even if the Bills were playing tough and "executing," there is still a lot of room for improvement in game planning and play calling.

Here's to hoping that Chan is looking in the mirror and realizing that he (and the rest of the coaching staff) need to put the players in a better position to succeed.

Anyone agree? or is it true that it's just a matter of the players needing to make plays?

Don't agree at all, with you or coach. It's not the coaching or play calling, and the players are executing the best they can. See below:

We are a better team than last year, by alot. We are not a deep team on either side of the ball, but we are only in yr 2 of tearing Jaurons team apart and starting over. I think Chan and Nix are doing a hell of a job. A few weeks ago Chan was a genious, now it's his fault. He hasn't forgotten how to coach or call plays since week 4 or 5. No, he's lost some talent for a team that doesn't have alot of it to lose. Get a grip guys.

Offence:

Db's and Lb's are sitting on short routes because we have no speed on the outside, inside or tightend.Our speed guy(Jones) is not that good. He's dropping passes, he's not getting open, he's really a good ST's guy but that's it. Guys, were playing Spliller at receiver because of injury. Our left side of the line is a mess(now center too) and Fitz is getting pressured/hit/sacked because of it. In case you guys haven't noticed, since Levitre was moved to LT we lost our toughness/running game inside. Wood and Levitre were doing a hell of a job in the running game. Now Wood is gone and Levitre will play center. That running game is gone now. It's easier to gameplan against a team with no speed at receiver/tightend and no left side of an Oline. The plays worked when we had a healthy oline. They opened holes for Fred and held up enough to let Fitz get rid of the ball. I know the oline is supposed to go unoticed, but you guys have to have noticed the dropoff since the injuries to the oline.

"Screens don't work when DBs and LBs are sitting on short routes anyway. Defense needs to be able to make on field adjustments without coaches clearance" So, since Chan is the problem, tell me what you would do differently? What adjustments would you like to see?

Defense:

We new coming in our D was a work in progress. Alot of new guys(FA and Rooks). I thought early on we looked better than last year. Still gave up yds, but looked better to me. LB was our weaklink coming in and the injuries to Merriman and Kelsy really hurt an already weak group. We are starting Shep(a rook) Barnett(new to the team) inside. That means with Merriman and Kelsy out, have four different LB's than last yr. The Lb's were playing alot better before the injuries. Inside we lost our ProBowl DT and his backup was out essentially the first 6-7 games, which means Heard was our man in the middle for a while. He played ok, but he's no KW. We are short of LB's so we use DE's(Carrington, Spencer) at OLB. Our DB's are really a good group but with no support from the LB's and no pressure on Qb's they are sitting ducks. we got those turnovers early on because we had decent pressure on the Qb's before injuries hit.

:wallbash:

During the early part of the season, the Bills were playing with fire in their guts. Whether that was because they were playing from behind or because they just were more intense, they played harder. The linemen and linebackers hit harder. The offensive line blocked better. The receivers cut harder. Every player was more intense. They seem to be much less intense now.

I've noticed this too. I don't know if maybe Coach Gailey is losing the team or what. It just doesn't seem like the BILLIEVE like they did earlier in the year. Hopefully that will return.

Fred did warn the guys back then that it was a long season and to not get too freaked out by a few wins. Been there done that for Fred (2008).

Edited by reddogblitz

Agree. A little annoyed at Chan for moving most of the blame to the players. Two horrible gameplans in a row, and a complete inability to adjust. Time for Chan to man up here.

When your starting RB who is gaining 10 yards a touch is only give 10-12 carries in the entire game, your game plan is horrible. You have to play to the strength of this team..not the other way....

He made some great changes in the off season to our offensive playbook.

But he can't seem to make adjustments on the fly (during the season or a game). Not really sure what the right move is.

I dont know what team your watching but how do you think we beat the Raiders and the Patriots. By making adjustments at half time and on the fly....

Underlying Problem? -- Is it as simple as They suck?

Injuries on the O Line = no running game in the past 2 games = 2 losses.

On the contrary Fred Jackson rushed for 114 yards on 13 carries = 8.7 YPC avg. Gailey simply didn't run him enough, same with the Jets game.

The Bills won those 5 games utilizing the quick short passes and runs by Freddy to open up the mid range passes. But the fact is that now teams have adjusted to stop the short passing game, and like someone else stated Gailey just doesn't have a plan B. He just keeps trying to make the passing game work no matter what. This is the exact same strategy that Turk Schonert used to run. No matter how much duress the QB is under he kept calling passing plays, shotgun passing plays.

Gailey has a great running back in Fred Jackson, and some games he simply doesn't run the ball enough. Spiller and Brad Smith don't get enough touches either in games where the QB is under heavy pressure

Another thought is the Bills went to the "no huddle" in the 4th QTR against the Jets for their only TD, I don't get why Chan doesn't at least try to utilize that more often. Get the running game going with Fred and then fast pace the defense so they can't make substitutions.

Edited by Fear the Beard

The Bills don't have the talent to significantly change what they are doing on offense.

If defenses are keying on the run and trying to stop the short passing game - then you try to beat them downfield.

Buffalo has TRIED to do this.

The receivers aren't getting open. Fitzpatrick can't hit them. The offensive line can't block long enough.

Chan knows he doesn't have the talent to win at the NFL level but he can't admit it. He's been around the NFL long enough to know who's capable and who isn't.

Nix said it would take 3-4 years to rebuild and right now that's looking about right for his style. It would be quicker if he got more production out of his draft picks and free agents who, aside from Dareus and Barnett, aren't producing.

+1.

The Bills' problems stem almost exclusively from their relatively low talent base. The head coach is not the problem.

for me the underlying problem is that we have a guard/center playing left tackle. Levitre is a solid guard/center but is no left tackle. Not to mention when we move him we inject a backup at his position. Our offense slowed greatly with the exception of the Washington game ( joke) when Harriston went down. So, if he cannot return this week and we have Levitre playing center as a backup, a backup guard and a 4th option at the most important position......oh help us. That miscue to start the game against the Cowboys got me feeling sick. Why we cam out throwing anyways is questionable and how you do not block one of the leading sack men over the past 5 years makes zero sense. I agree with the people that say we still need one or 2 drafts our depth is the problem. Maybe this is the real reason the Bills are not looking to invest in freddy. I mean take Tomlinson, similar age bracket, his resume is more decorated but he clearly is the backup in NY. I love Freddy, I wish we would have seen his talent earlier and passed on that draft bust Lynch. I know people love guys who run over players but truly name the best backs of the modern era........Tomlinson,Smith,Chris Johnson,Thurman, Barry, and so forth.....they had longer careers because they like freddy waited for the blocks to develop and had good vision to hit the hole before it closed. Guys like Okoyae, Word, Csonka, Jacobs....They simply do not make it long. Especially today....the D line goes what 280-320 lbs....Line backers hit with the force of small trucks.. FS that have violent collisions....my point is when to we get a true runner (?spiller) in the draft next year or the year after?

I like what I have seen from our LB's this season, we need a rush guy or two to play the edge but we need to find that in FA pool or draft. Hopefully the draft! I think we need to get a true shut down corner and we still need a end on defense. I like our OL....the second tier guys are getting the reps this season....so we should be good there....We still need another TE and a true deep threat and honestly....I say let Stevie go if he thinks he is a number one receiver. We need a big target. Even if we finish 5-11 we have improved and had the nation talking about us. Were on the map.....we just need the wheels to get us on the move!

+1.

The Bills' problems stem almost exclusively from their relatively low talent base. The head coach is not the problem.

For the most part the Bills are a middle of the road to below average franchise at all levels-players, coaches, front office and ownership. With all that against you, it is hard to be successful. Sure the Bills always have two or three good players, all franchises will it is just the odds, but for the most part we never have playoff caliber talent, and we never have coaching that can make average talent play above their potential for any extended length of time. Someone said in an earlier post that we are in just year 2 of tearing apart Jauron's team and rebuilding. Well in his second year we were in year two of tearing apart Mularkey's team, and he was tearing apart Williams' team, it is a never ending cycle for us.

Chan knows he doesn't have the talent to win at the NFL level but he can't admit it. He's been around the NFL long enough to know who's capable and who isn't.

Nix said it would take 3-4 years to rebuild and right now that's looking about right for his style. It would be quicker if he got more production out of his draft picks and free agents who, aside from Dareus and Barnett, aren't producing.

Yep. This is year 2 of 4. They are better, no question. Parrish, Easley and Evans being gone has allowed defenses to play the short pass exclusively. Fitz probably will need to take a few more shots down the field, but very very poor field position has prevented that from being called. They had terrible starting field position all game vs both the Jets and Cowboys. NFL coaches do not open up until they are past their own 40 yard line, they don't and it's the right thing to do. I suspect field position will improve against the Phins and we'll see how we do. If we win, all is forgiven and its on to the Jets in "biggest game of the year - part 2" .

chan is way too pass happy and seems too thick headed to admit that the 5 wide empty backfield formation just isnt working anymore not to mention the 4 or 5 times a game he calls a WR screen which as far as I know hasnt worked at all this year

chan needs to run more and keep a RB in the backfield at all times

best way to not give up a lot of points and yards on defense is to control the clock and game on offense

I like Chan as a coach but I think he tries out-thinking the room for some of these games and hates sticking with what works and doesn't use all the weapons provided to him. I think *the* issue is the game plan and his stubbornness to stick to what other teams have adapted to. They watched the Bills-Bengals game.

We run some games. Others we don't at all. Some games Chandler catches passes. Other games he's invisible. We have a bulldozer of a FB but rarely use him.

You must make the defense appreciate and prepare for the run to open up your receivers. As long as Chan's game plan does not do this, the team won't be successful.

Anybody watch or listen to the post-game press conferences the past two weeks?

Chan's presser

I'm hearing a lot of the same sentiment, and it seems to me that Chan has these guys convinced that it is simply a matter or execution, and/or playing harder.

NOT to be a wise guy, but what SHOULD he be telling them? That they are a group of non blue chip, over-achievers?

Have you ever wondered why the Bills have so many udfas and 7th round picks who contribute? It's because we can almost be counted on to tank with early picks, the latest fiasco being Spiller.

Gailey had these guys performing and believing in themselves. Now they are beaten down by injuries, the OL, and pass rush. Nothing new here. But, they topped last years number of wins, and they are in a good position to correct their problems. If the go after a first round RB or DB, just tell yourself that things will never change.

Nah.....Gailey isn't the problem.

I like Chan as a coach but I think he tries out-thinking the room for some of these games and hates sticking with what works and doesn't use all the weapons provided to him. I think *the* issue is the game plan and his stubbornness to stick to what other teams have adapted to. They watched the Bills-Bengals game.

We run some games. Others we don't at all. Some games Chandler catches passes. Other games he's invisible. We have a bulldozer of a FB but rarely use him.

You must make the defense appreciate and prepare for the run to open up your receivers. As long as Chan's game plan does not do this, the team won't be successful.

Not one single team in the NFL tries to run the ball when they're down by 21 points early on. They all shift to pass mode. The only way to catch up (unlikely as it may be) is take your chances and throw the ball and hope for some big plays.