Jon Gruden “inherently dishonest”

papazoid

The ultimate issue, Shaun King said, is Gruden’s inability to tell the truth to the grown men who populate an NFL locker room. Specifically, King said Gruden is “inherently dishonest.”

“From a relationship level I think Jon failed,” King said, echoing things that folks in Tampa publicly have said about Gruden for years. Specifically, Gruden had a reputation within the walls of the building of saying one thing and doing another.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/02/shaun-king-calls-jon-gruden-inherently-dishonest/

"I'm not sure it still exits, but Jon has a major character flaw in that, if he's not the center of attention, that's a problem. It is what it is. Ala the Chucky face. You look at the NFL Films, it's just ironic, anytime that he's mic'd up or filmed, the Chucky Face, you know, it's showcased a lot more than normal."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d823b4bd9/article/king-if-grudens-not-the-center-of-attention-thats-a-problem

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I enjoy him in the booth, but I can see him being the company kiss-ass man too. He's a good analyst but I don't see anything original as a coach. He won a ring w/ Dungy's team, and they got progressively worse during his tenure

The flip side of that coin is that he built the Raiders team that they played against, not Callahan, and that team declined rapidly after he was traded to Tampa. BTW, Tampa wasn't really in a steady decline, as they made the playoffs 3 years and had losing records 3 years of the 7 Gruden coached there. That entire division just whipsawed back and forth year to year.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/tam/

The ultimate issue, Shaun King said, is Gruden’s inability to tell the truth to the grown men who populate an NFL locker room. Specifically, King said Gruden is “inherently dishonest.”

“From a relationship level I think Jon failed,” King said, echoing things that folks in Tampa publicly have said about Gruden for years. Specifically, Gruden had a reputation within the walls of the building of saying one thing and doing another.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/02/shaun-king-calls-jon-gruden-inherently-dishonest/

"I'm not sure it still exits, but Jon has a major character flaw in that, if he's not the center of attention, that's a problem. It is what it is. Ala the Chucky face. You look at the NFL Films, it's just ironic, anytime that he's mic'd up or filmed, the Chucky Face, you know, it's showcased a lot more than normal."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d823b4bd9/article/king-if-grudens-not-the-center-of-attention-thats-a-problem

I just want the phish or some other idiotic team to hire gruden so I won't have to listen to him on MNF. He is absolutely insufferable.

I prefer the comments made by Jaws to Gruden. Gruden whines too much about the refs.

He did tone down the amount of jargon he was using when he started. He sounded like he was in the huddle, not the broadcasting booth.

Unfortunately, putting the emphasis on "being a personality" over talking football in football terms (a.k.a. dumbing it down for the dumb masses) really detracts from the broadcasts. You don't need to hire an ex-coach to be a stand-up comedian.

I enjoy him in the booth, but I can see him being the company kiss-ass man too. He's a good analyst but I don't see anything original as a coach. He won a ring w/ Dungy's team, and they got progressively worse during his tenure

He did win a ring with Dungy's team but it was also against a Raiders them that was "his team".

It's hard to stay competitive in the NFL.post-12191-051801000 1320246907_thumb.jpg

I just want the phish or some other idiotic team to hire gruden so I won't have to listen to him on MNF. He is absolutely insufferable.

Kornheiser and Dennis Miller were insufferable. Gruden just thinks every other player is "one of the best in his position in the whole league." I'll take that over those other two clowns.

Keyshawn Johnson actually echoed similar sentiments about Gruden. Said that he was a liar. He also said he couldn't wait to get out of there and head for Dallas.

I also thought it was dirty how he did the Raiders.

I don't know if Chucky's dishonest. I do know I'm glad we didn't hire him.

After winning the Super Bowl with the team that Tony Dungy built, Gruden went 45-51 in the following 6 seasons with Tampa Bay. He's an insightful commentator sometimes but only a mediocre coach.

I don't know if Chucky's dishonest. I do know I'm glad we didn't hire him.

After winning the Super Bowl with the team that Tony Dungy built, Gruden went 45-51 in the following 6 seasons with Tampa Bay. He's an insightful commentator sometimes but only a mediocre coach.

As many have pointed out, he beat the team that he "built" (oak). He coached the team that Dungy built to a SB win. Dungy couln't coach his way out of a paper bag.

As many have pointed out, he beat the team that he "built" (oak). He coached the team that Dungy built to a SB win. Dungy couln't coach his way out of a paper bag.

That also cheapens the victory since he knew the opponent so well. Even the raiders were complaining how they were doomed because bucs knew all their plays and audibles.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Keyshawn Johnson actually echoed similar sentiments about Gruden. Said that he was a liar. He also said he couldn't wait to get out of there and head for Dallas.

I also thought it was dirty how he did the Raiders.

OK it was a good argument until someone brought up "Keyshawn Johnson said." He obviously has an axe to grind with Gruden who punished him for being an idiot and anything but a team player. As far as the Raiders, Al Davis wanted him out of there because Gruden didn't throw the ball enough. If I remember correctly, the Raiders got 2 first round picks, 2 second round picks and millions of dollars for Gruden, so don't say "It was dirty how he did the Raiders", not to mention a 40-28 w/l record while he was in Oakland. Gruden is a good coach, better than alot of them that are head coaches today for sure. People say he won a championship with Dungy's team, a team that Dungy couldn't win one with by the way. I don't think he is terrible on TV, but he is much better on the sidelines than in the booth, you gotta love a coach that has fire in his eyes on the sidelines.

Edited by billsfreak