Jon Gruden “inherently dishonest”

papazoid

I don't think you can say of a HC who won a Super Bowl that he is a mediocre coach. Maybe it's the case that he became complacent or for whatever reason did not work as hard in subsequent seasons. But making a playoff run and winning a Super Bowl--seems to me it's all about schemes and preparation and film study (not to mention leadership and motivation).

You can hate the guy, but he did paint one masterpiece and you can't take that away from him.

It's not lazy- it's that he couldn't motivate men longterm. It's easy to get a guy jacked up once or twice- it's hard to do it 16-20 Sundays, practice, camps, for years. The angry schtick wears out quick on 30 year olds.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sure there's such a thing. A lot of people myself included thought the officiating cheapened steelers victory Seattle. Gruden couldnt take the team he built to the super bowl so he took someone else's .... That's a fact. And btw if you're looking for dumb comments how about the guy saying dungy can't coach? Kidding me? Turned Tampa from nothing into a force. And won a super bowl with colts. And before you say "manning" consider manning lost his only super bowl without him. Dude even came up a revolutionary new defense named after his team. Guy can't coach? Kidding me!?!???

Not much of one, though. If it hadn't been for the unveiling of the Tom Brady Tuck Rule, he'd may just have gotten Al Davis another Lombardi.

BTW, what coach is a perfectly straight shooter at all times with every one of his players? I seem to recall a certain DT for the Raiders not being too pleased with Bill Belichick, and more than a few players angry at Bill Parcells... I guess to answer my question, Tony Dungy is very honest, though he might hold back a bit rather than crush a player's ego with the cold, brutal truth.

Kornheiser and Dennis Miller were insufferable. Gruden just thinks every other player is "one of the best in his position in the whole league." I'll take that over those other two clowns.

I never said gruden was the worst MNF announcer ever. And isn't it possible that all three of them are/were insufferable?

interesting that not one former player or coach has come to gruden's defense....

i think this could seriously jeopardize his future coaching prospects....

I would just like to point this out again...So what if some of the players didn't like Gruden? He got it done. We had Dick Jauron, whom the players loved...Too bad he was a god awful coach, and didn't produce results.

You look through history many "A#% hole" coaches have led their teams to the super bowl. Players hated Parcells (I hate him too), but he had success. Pretty much all players that ever played for Coughlin hate him, but he has always had winning teams, and improbably beat the undefeated Patriots in the SB. Shanahan, doesn't exactly have terrific people skills either and he won 2 SB's (even though all the credit goes to Elway and Davis). Tough coaching is what it takes to win sometimes, its not about coddling the players...

I think there are signs that he "gets on peoples nerves", but he was an effective coach.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Maybe that's why hes so bitter towards officials to this day. But it was the correct call.

There once was a time when a player had to hold onto the ball to the whistle or it was a fumble. None of this "ground can't cause a fumble" or "we think the QB was sort of between throwing the ball and not throwing the ball" sorts of judgment calls. But, it does make the game more exciting when the act of fumbling is a potential controversy.

Ironically though, they've done the reverse in pass catching rules, where now catching the ball isn't enough. A catch is only a catch if the continuation of the play also involves a "lack of ball wiggling", even if the player is down and getting back to his feet in the back of the endzone.

Gruden is a loon.. Can't stand him on MNF. I like Jaws though, and is it just me or does anyone else get the sense that Jaws and Gruden can't stand each other? :)

tim-

I'm not sure either of the other guys like him. He really monopolizes the conversation. I sort of wish Jaws would smack him in the back of his head a few times.

I would just like to point this out again...So what if some of the players didn't like Gruden? He got it done. We had Dick Jauron, whom the players loved...Too bad he was a god awful coach, and didn't produce results.

Good point!

I don't get the angle many seem to be taking on this. Oh no, apparently somebody said Gruden is not a super nice guy to work with. And no one's coming to his defence, so it must be true. You'd think he was accused of sexual assault or something. Although, if he were, it probably would not hurt his rep as much among typical sports fans.