Jon Gruden “inherently dishonest”

papazoid

I think that he IS dishonest, if you listen to his broadcasts, one week he tells us something

like, that guy is the greatest such and such in the NFL, and the very next week he makes the same statement

about another player, reminds me a lot of Dierdouche. They like to hear themselves talk.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That also cheapens the victory since he knew the opponent so well. Even the raiders were complaining how they were doomed because bucs knew all their plays and audibles.

There is no such thing as cheapening a Super Bowl Championship. Wow, some people really make some dumb statements on this board based on their personal feelings towards someone. If the Raiders were complaining, then they got out coached, and were whining. If Al Davis didn't like it he shouldn't have forced Gruden out and accepted 4 high draft picks and about $8 million dollars for him.

I don't think you can say of a HC who won a Super Bowl that he is a mediocre coach. Maybe it's the case that he became complacent or for whatever reason did not work as hard in subsequent seasons. But making a playoff run and winning a Super Bowl--seems to me it's all about schemes and preparation and film study (not to mention leadership and motivation).

You can hate the guy, but he did paint one masterpiece and you can't take that away from him.

There is no such thing as cheapening a Super Bowl Championship. Wow, some people really make some dumb statements on this board based on their personal feelings towards someone. If the Raiders were complaining, then they got out coached, and were whining. If Al Davis didn't like it he shouldn't have forced Gruden out and accepted 4 high draft picks and about $8 million dollars for him.

Sure there's such a thing. A lot of people myself included thought the officiating cheapened steelers victory Seattle. Gruden couldnt take the team he built to the super bowl so he took someone else's .... That's a fact. And btw if you're looking for dumb comments how about the guy saying dungy can't coach? Kidding me? Turned Tampa from nothing into a force. And won a super bowl with colts. And before you say "manning" consider manning lost his only super bowl without him. Dude even came up a revolutionary new defense named after his team. Guy can't coach? Kidding me!?!???

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I enjoy him in the booth, but I can see him being the company kiss-ass man too. He's a good analyst but I don't see anything original as a coach. He won a ring w/ Dungy's team, and they got progressively worse during his tenure

I am a Gruden fan, more as an announcer than as a coach. But the above comments never made any sense to me. Dungy never did anything to make a name for himself as a coach. If that was "Dungy's team", why couldn't Dungy win with them? Yeah he won a super bowl....as Peyton Manning's clipboard holder... Gruden turned the Raiders into contenders, who quickly descended back into oblivion once he left (after he beat them in the super bowl the following year). I am not saying Gruden is an all time great, but he did a good job with both the Raiders and the Bucs. Ending with respectable 95-81 record, 5-4 in playoffs, and a ring...

Besides, Chucky made a bunch of changes on offense that year, both scheme and players. That proved to be the difference in winning the superbowl. BTW, Monte Kiffen was the DC that engineered their powerful defense of the day, he should deserve more credit than Dungy...

Sure there's such a thing. A lot of people myself included thought the officiating cheapened steelers victory Seattle. Gruden couldnt take the team he built to the super bowl so he took someone else's .... That's a fact. And btw if you're looking for dumb comments how about the guy saying dungy can't coach? Kidding me? Turned Tampa from nothing into a force. And won a super bowl with colts. And before you say "manning" consider manning lost his only super bowl without him. Dude even came up a revolutionary new defense named after his team. Guy can't coach? Kidding me!?!???

There is a BIG difference between outcoaching a team because they were unable to change personnel or gameplan after they forced you out and having a Superbowl stolen from you like the Seahawks did because of one-sided officiating. Please don't make things up for your argument, I never said at all that Dungy couldn't coach, actually I like him alot, but giving Gruden absolutely no credit for winning a Super Bowl because the team was "Dungy's Team", yet Dungy himself couldn't win a Championship with it is ridiculous. Gruden made some changes to Tampa's offense when he arrived, but the defense was pretty much intact. Gruden may have taken the team he built in Oakland to the Superbowl, but Al Davis chased him out of town before he could do that because he wanted a wide open offense which Gruden didn't run, as evidenced by his "Pound The Rock" slogan in Tampa on the way to their Championship. That is kind alike giving Chan Gailey no credit because Fitz was here when Jauron was here.

Edited by billsfreak

Joe, you're just off on this one. You are giving WAY too much credit to Dungy, and not enough to Gruden. As a matter of fact you make points contradicting your own stance. Gruden not only "built" a strong team in the Raiders, good enough to make it to the super bowl, but then went on to beat that team the next year. You could say he had two teams in the same SB... Yes the Bucs had a strong D when he got there, built by Kiffen NOT Dungy. Gruden added the tough coaching and offense, and won the super bowl with that team when Dungy couldn't. Again, not touting Gruden as a coaching genius, but he deserved full credit for his superbowl. I would say more than Dungy with Manning. That team with Manning looked exactly the same before during and after Dungy's tenure for one reason...Manning. After Gruden left the Bucs, that team tanked.

In reality, no one talks about McKay. The GM who REALLY built that team (not Dungy). He deserves credit as well.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Joe, you're just off on this one. You are giving WAY too much credit to Dungy, and not enough to Gruden. As a matter of fact you make points contradicting your own stance. Gruden not only "built" a strong team in the Raiders, good enough to make it to the super bowl, but then went on to beat that team the next year. You could say he had two teams in the same SB... Yes the Bucs had a strong D when he got there, built by Kiffen NOT Dungy. Gruden added the tough coaching and offense, and won the super bowl with that team when Dungy couldn't. Again, not touting Gruden as a coaching genius, but he deserved full credit for his superbowl. I would say more than Dungy with Manning. That team with Manning looked exactly the same before during and after Dungy's tenure for one reason...Manning. After Gruden left the Bucs, that team tanked.

In reality, no one talks about McKay. The GM who REALLY built that team (not Dungy). He deserves credit as well.

Thank you for your common sense.

Agree Fully, hes got energy and really seems to enjoy what hes doing. I think MNF does a good job!

+1

Compare him to a brainless, arrogant, moron, who is clueless about the game like Theisman. Compared to him Gruden is a broadcasting genius, he actually knows the rules of football and brings energy.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I think that he IS dishonest, if you listen to his broadcasts, one week he tells us something

like, that guy is the greatest such and such in the NFL, and the very next week he makes the same statement

about another player, reminds me a lot of Dierdouche. They like to hear themselves talk.

The broadcasters should talk bad about the NFL product they have on the field. That would make everyone interested and want to watch the game! ;)

Count me as one who finds Gruden, Jaworski and Tirico one of the worst broadcast teams in a while. Tirico is just as bland and dull as someone with a sould can be, Jaws knows the game, but is just not a good broadcaster for live games. Gruden says nothing of any real value, and, in two short years mananged to do what it took Madden 25 years to do...become a parody of himself. I kind of like Gruden's QB camp shows, and I always loved Jaws doing the game film breakdown, but I think they are both pretty bad in the booth. For the first time in my life, MNF is not necessarily "can't miss" tv. I still watch at least some, if not all, of the MNF games, but the combo of the bad broadcast booth, and the dull games often finds me going on-line, only half watching... hate Collinsworth and Michaels if you must, but they are worlds better than the MNF guys.

That was me. Tampa couldn't get to a SB with Dungy and as soon as he's gone they win with Gruden. He walks into a great situation in Indy (if you don't want me to say "Manning", how about "Harrison", "Wayne", "James", "Saturday", "Freeney", "Mathis", "Clark", "Stokely".....). HE scrounged up one SB win agains the BEars. What a waste of all that talent.

Maybe he couldn't bring himself to break it to King that he sucked.

Well judging by his MNF commentating John Gruden probably 'loved Shaun King and he was the greatest player ever who should've made 10 probowls'. So yeah he probably never did tell King that he did in fact suck.

That was me. Tampa couldn't get to a SB with Dungy and as soon as he's gone they win with Gruden. He walks into a great situation in Indy (if you don't want me to say "Manning", how about "Harrison", "Wayne", "James", "Saturday", "Freeney", "Mathis", "Clark", "Stokely".....). HE scrounged up one SB win agains the BEars. What a waste of all that talent.

And sapp and other bucs after the win went on record saying they still felt it was dungy's team and he deserved the bulk of the credit. I'll take their word over yours.

As for Indy they beat bears when it's was supposed to be bears year because of their reincarnated 85 defense. Beating the pats in the afc championship game to get there. Attempting to demean dungy for coming away with jewelry in the era of bellichek Brady wilfork Bruschi Rodney Harrison Seymour mcginnist moss Welker light cowher big Ben hines ward holmes polomolu plax james harrison hampton porter etc etc etc etc etc etc is truly asinine

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack