AJC on Chan Gailey

Chilly

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2010/01/18/oh-look-chan-gailey-may-be-get-hired-again/

The current national unemployment rate is 9.7 percent. Want to cut that in half in a week? Hire Chan Gailey’s agent.

Gailey is a fine man and apparently considered a fine football coach. I say apparently because the only thing more surprising than the number of jobs he loses is the number of jobs he gets. The former Georgia Tech head coach is on the verge of being named coach of the Buffalo Bills, according to both FoxSports.com and the Buffalo News.

Love it.

I don't.

Actually, it pisses me off to see people talking **** about my favorite coach.

Chan is my hero. More than just winning games (although that is a BIG part), he has changed the culture of our Buffalo Bills.

And wasn't it cool to see Mike Shanahan all pissed off on the other side of the field Sunday.

In your face, Shanny!

Rewind to Jan. 2010, Mike Shanahan refused to talk to the Bills about their Head Coaching job, and the Bills "Settled" for Chan Gailey (at Bill Cowher's urging). At the time both the Redskins & Bills teams were talent depleted and very bad teams. Since then, the Redskins traded for McNabb(Fleeced by Eagles) and have gone nowhere and once again look in dissaray. The Bills cut the old talent, and went young in a big way, "Show Me the Baby" says Buddy! Chan Gailey has done a masterful job with the talent at hand and this team will only get better as they get more experience, as for Shanahan, Glad you went to Redskins, they are heading in the wrong direction! It was fun Sunday to look at your crooked eye looking in disbelief!

I was all set to be offended when I clicked the link, but the article was neither offensive nor insulting. There was a little bit of poking fun, for sure, but the fact is, Gailey IS well traveled. That doesn't mean he isn't still a hell of a football coach.

Rewind to Jan. 2010, Mike Shanahan refused to talk to the Bills about their Head Coaching job, and the Bills "Settled" for Chan Gailey (at Bill Cowher's urging). At the time both the Redskins & Bills teams were talent depleted and very bad teams. Since then, the Redskins traded for McNabb(Fleeced by Eagles) and have gone nowhere and once again look in dissaray. The Bills cut the old talent, and went young in a big way, "Show Me the Baby" says Buddy! Chan Gailey has done a masterful job with the talent at hand and this team will only get better as they get more experience, as for Shanahan, Glad you went to Redskins, they are heading in the wrong direction! It was fun Sunday to look at your crooked eye looking in disbelief!

I get that everyone hates Shanahan, and feels slighted, but, I don't think he "refused to talk" to the Bills. He listened, told them he was flattered, but wasn't interested. At least that is how he, and the Bills told it. No matter what you think of him, once a guy gets a certain reputation, he can turn down jobs he doesn't want in favor of ones he might like better.

I get that everyone hates Shanahan, and feels slighted, but, I don't think he "refused to talk" to the Bills. He listened, told them he was flattered, but wasn't interested. At least that is how he, and the Bills told it. No matter what you think of him, once a guy gets a certain reputation, he can turn down jobs he doesn't want in favor of ones he might like better.

I also think Shanny's wife shot down Buffalo. Or am I mixing up my coaching candidates? Either way the Bills gig was "toxic" and no A-list coaching candidate would touch it with a ten-foot pole. Gailey is right when he says he's a misfit and castoff, like the rest of the team.

PTR

Some people feel more comfortable with their own version of history. Things make sense then.

My recollection too is that he talked to Buffalo and said no thanks. But, I am glad we didn't hire that loser. Buffalo and Washington were in a similar predicament at the time. I'm glad I'm on the Bills bandwagon and not the Redskins right now. Bills appear to be on the way up and the Redskins on the way down.

I also think Shanny's wife shot down Buffalo. Or am I mixing up my coaching candidates? Either way the Bills gig was "toxic" and no A-list coaching candidate would touch it with a ten-foot pole. Gailey is right when he says he's a misfit and castoff, like the rest of the team.

PTR

Think this was Cowher?

The family wanted to stay close to his daughter at school in the Carolinas? maybe i am talking out my poop shoot.

I watched Chans years coaching at Ga Tech. Went to a few of his games. You could tell he did not belong in college. He is a straight forward X and O's guy. Practice hard and then execute kind of guy. He didn't like recruiting or having to babysit college kids.

that and Reggie Ball killed him at Tech

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

I think the "wel traveled" coach has found a home for as long as he wants to be here. ;)

He's brought something to this team that we went over a decade trying to find. Heart and and offense that is capable of moving the ball.