I know it's early but Next year's draft ...

MClem06

Considering how absolutly horrendous the pass rush is even with Dareus getting good pressure up the middle and our inability to stop the run/pass on defense what positions do we draft when next year?

What position would you draft next year with the 32nd pick in the 2012 draft?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering how absolutly horrendous the pass rush is even with Dareus getting good pressure up the middle and our inability to stop the run/pass on defense what positions do we draft when next year?

What position would you draft next year with the 32nd pick in the 2012 draft?

OMFG, our pass rush is not "horrendous."

Our sack count, yes. But when we have applied pressure, we'v gotten it. It just happened to be against quarterbacks who were shifty, tough to sack or able to make plays with guys in their face.

Look up from the stat sheet and watch a play or two from time to time.

I've watched each game twice this year. The "absence" of a pass rush has been anything but.

I would say that their needs rank in this order. Whether they want to address them in the draft or free agency is up to them:

- Pass rusher: We need a force on the outside badly. Someone in the mold of Merriman, but younger and healthier.

- Wide Receiver: We have a very solid base with Stevie and Nelson as our core. But after that it goes steeply down hill. We need a real threat on the outside that will draw double teams. I hope we draft a guy high at this position.

- Offensive Tackle: Bell has turned out to be a pretty good starter for us. But he hasn't proven he can stay healthy for a full season. And Hairston looks like he could be a very good tackle for our team as well. Pears has done well, but the jury is still out there. If these guys all pan out, we could still use some depth here anyways.

- Cornerback: Yes, we need another guy here again. McGee appears to be approaching the end of his career, and McKelvin has been pretty inconsistent. Need high quality depth.

- Tight End: I still cringe when I think about us passing on Gronkowski in the draft a couple years ago. We could really use an athletic TE on this team. Chandler has been a pleasant surprise, but he has limited speed and athleticism. Most good teams have two solid guys at this position, and we should strongly consider it also.

Our sack count, yes. But when we have applied pressure, we'v gotten it. It just happened to be against quarterbacks who were shifty, tough to sack or able to make plays with guys in their face.

I've watched each game twice this year. The "absence" of a pass rush has been anything but.

Watch them a 3rd time maybe? There is no pass rush on this team. Yes the Eagles game they got some guys through on Blitz's but the line creates absolutely no rush to speak of.

Theres definitely more to the story, as you indicate.... but i also watch teams with really strong pass rushers and we arent there yet. whether its scheme, or athletes.... i just dont see "that guy" yet. I see guys that can be pass rushers, but i dont see one that changes the offenses gameplan yet.

My guess would be that this offseason is the one where the Bills bring in a few free agent pieces. We are in year three of the Nix era, didn't he say they weren't going to go hard into FA until we were "almost there". If the Bills make the playoffs, wouldn't we be, literally, almost there???

I would say that their needs rank in this order. Whether they want to address them in the draft or free agency is up to them:

- Pass rusher: We need a force on the outside badly. Someone in the mold of Merriman, but younger and healthier.

- Wide Receiver: We have a very solid base with Stevie and Nelson as our core. But after that it goes steeply down hill. We need a real threat on the outside that will draw double teams. I hope we draft a guy high at this position.

- Offensive Tackle: Bell has turned out to be a pretty good starter for us. But he hasn't proven he can stay healthy for a full season. And Hairston looks like he could be a very good tackle for our team as well. Pears has done well, but the jury is still out there. If these guys all pan out, we could still use some depth here anyways.

- Cornerback: Yes, we need another guy here again. McGee appears to be approaching the end of his career, and McKelvin has been pretty inconsistent. Need high quality depth.

- Tight End: I still cringe when I think about us passing on Gronkowski in the draft a couple years ago. We could really use an athletic TE on this team. Chandler has been a pleasant surprise, but he has limited speed and athleticism. Most good teams have two solid guys at this position, and we should strongly consider it also.

If I was Buddy Nix....and just woke up from napping....On the first day of free agency, I would go after an aging veteran, who was a #1WR for our #2WR spot.

Chad Ochocinco looks like he won't be back in New England in 2012. It wouldn't be a bad move, if we signed this guy to play with Fitzmagic, who once played with eachother with the Bungles, for the remainder of his career as a Bill.

One more thing in FA is addressing a veteran TE. I would love to see the Bills play two-TE schemes, similar to the Patriots, Panthers, Texans and Lions. I haven't seen a qaulity TE on this team, since I was 11 years old!

Playing a two-TE scheme looks promising and I bet Gailey will try to go along with the trend of installing it in his 2012 gameplans!

Unlike 2011 CBA debacle, last time I looked, the draft will fall after the free agency period.

Edited by KollegeStudnet

K... The team has 4 sacks in 6 games... some pass rush. Just stop.

Oh, you're relying on stats to make your argument. My mistake. I haven't addressed the fallacy of that, whatsoever. One thousand apologies for overlooking such a clear, cut and dry, indisputable angle.

No. He. Isn't. There have been numerous failed blitz attempts in terms of getting pressure on the QB, and without the blitz attempts, the pressures are even more non-existant.

You. Are. Also. Wrong. I won't argue that the blitz attempts haven't been "failed," but to say they haven't generated any "pressure" is categorically wrong. We happened to have faced quarterbacks who are particularly good at dealing with said pressure. Also, in the first four games we didn't blitz that often. Period. It's only been in the last two games--one against arguably the slipperiest quarterback to ever take a snap, and one against a quarterback who's really good when he's good and really bad when he's bad (and we caught him on a good day)--that we brought pressure.

You. Are. Also. Wrong. I won't argue that the blitz attempts haven't been "failed," but to say they haven't generated any "pressure" is categorically wrong. We happened to have faced quarterbacks who are particularly good at dealing with said pressure. Also, in the first four games we didn't blitz that often. Period. It's only been in the last two games--one against arguably the slipperiest quarterback to ever take a snap, and one against a quarterback who's really good when he's good and really bad when he's bad (and we caught him on a good day)--that we brought pressure.

Given where our pass defense is ranked, I think its safe to say that whatever pressure we are generating is not enough.

If I was Buddy Nix....and just woke up from napping....On the first day of free agency, I would go after an aging veteran, who was a #1WR for our #2WR spot.

Chad Ochocinco looks like he won't be back in New England in 2012. It wouldn't be a bad move, if we signed this guy to play with Fitzmagic, who once played with eachother with the Bungles, for the remainder of his career as a Bill.

Is this what they call a "LEVEL"?

Given where our pass defense is ranked, I think its safe to say that whatever pressure we are generating is not enough.

Ranked based on what? Yards allowed?

Are you accounting for the fact that we're the highest scoring team in the AFC? And that that MIGHT dictate our defensive calls as well as what our opponent's are forced to do offensively?